How Do You Teach Your Cat Does And Don’t?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Tashanasha The 'ssss' sound is an excellent deterrent for cats, because it's what THEY do to deter others, and the best way to effectively deal with anyone is to think like THEY do and try to understand their needs, motivations, etc.
Adway Adway Absolutely right, a deterrent is needed and thank you for explaining that you are not abusing cats. As I've written (and others as well), patience and consistency are key. And if there is something being dropped, like the computer, is there another place you can move it to where it will be safe but still accessible? My situation is somewhat different because I have a desktop on a computer table. Nothing is ever bothered. The very few times anyone has jumped on the desk, they get picked up and deposited on the floor with a verbal "no NO!" and all is well. They absolutely do understand "no" and cats are NEVER vindictive or scheming, contrary to the hateful lies some have said about them. They are simply doing what they feel like doing. Distraction can be a great way to solve issues like this, too. When they do something unwanted, distract them with an interactive toy such as da Bird or Cat Dancer -- most cats love a game with their loved ones! -- or a treat or two and praise when they eat. You can also research clicker training for cats, which I don't use but some swear by.
and 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine -- Do you mean she actually shares it? :insertevillaugh::crackup:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1). Management
-If I don't for one second believe a kitten that PROMISES (with their little fingers crossed behind their back) that they won't knock over house plans, knock over book cases or murder lamps and their bulbs, you're in a cat-friendly crate thing with a litter box, food, water, a bed, toys, etc. when I can't be with you. Sorry, Charlie!
2). Basic manners.
-Cats aren't born knowing how to live with humans so this is what we need to do, teach them what's not acceptable. If they leap onto my waist when I'm wearing sweats and pants me, that's hilarious...but even though it's funny from a 2 pound kitten, I won't enjoy this from a 10+ pound cat in a year.
-Cats also aren't born knowing what a clicker or the word "yes" or "no" or "stop that" or "give me that T-bone, that's my dinner dammit", so they learn by association. "No" means "no" and "no" means "that will get you nothing but put into a solitary confinement unit" (bathroom, etc.) Yes or *click* or good means what you just did there was awesome. I love that you refrained spraying your brother in the face because he stole your treat. Deliver a reward...via food, petting, praise, etc.
I have food motivated creatures. Most of them will do anything for a bit of something delicious (we do not free feed), but a few of them would run by a Rotisserie chicken for a pat and some loving.
3). Know thy cat. My one cat once blew past a flock of birds taking to the air because he got out and I called him with my happy tone, by name, and rewarded him GREATLY with his favorite thing--petting, loves, kind words, picking him up and smooshing him against my face and kisses and etc.....A few of my other cats would consider this undignified, and a physical intrusion, and see it as VERY punishing.
(As a side example, a few of our BC dogs love water, in any form, and spraying them in the face with the hose is THE BEST reward for anything we ask.... But spray our Huskies in the face with water, and they'll be certain to never do the "thing" again that they did to get this spray of water their way. I'm not suggesting spraying your cats in the face with a hose as a means to reward or punish..please do not do that..but our dogs showed us that one mans reward is another mans punishment.)
Also, if someone told me I could spend an entire week elk hunting I'd be happy. If they told me I could spend an entire week playing golf, I'd consider it a punishment =/ Other people might see golf as a really fun thing but see elk hunting as some torture....so, we're all different in what we like and don't like. Same goes for cats. And dogs, and horses, and sheep, and....etc.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! :) I’ve been reading every post and link, and it is great help.

It does seem that they are learning the word «No». Not said in a screaming/angry voice, just no. I also did what some of you said, put them in their kitten-room for a little while if they need a little timeout. And it seems like they are learning that no is what comes before the timeout. :)

When it comes to the water, I’ve never sprayed in their face, more their general direction. And because they are little kittens, they see that as fun. So they will start chasing the water, and stop whatever they were doing. So for now it kind of works, because it makes them focus on something else.

They also have scratching posts, toys, sleeping houses and everything they need. And they do use all of it, they just like to use the furniture too. With that said, I’ve never had easier kittens than these two, they are over all very well behaved, so they do get a lot of praise and love. And seeing that they will eventually be allowed to go outside, I do know things will cool down a bit when they can use their claws and the whole outside world. I’m just a bit jumpy when it comes to the furniture, because it took us years to get our old man Pan to stop killing the furniture with his big claws. :D I’m on my third sofa since getting Pan. He has finally started using the scratching poles, so I don’t want him to get any ideas again.

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and I find it really interesting to read about positive reinforcement. I’ve been kind of scared to do it, because Medusa (our 13 yo house-Queen) has taken that to mean that she can do something she’s not supposed to do, to get what she wants. Positive or negative attention, she will learn and use it. Attention, treats, trips outside, you name it. She is a nightmare is she wants something she can’t have. So with her, ignoring her when she is misbehaving is the best way. The worst time ever is if we have to keep her inside for any periode of time, because she will turn into to a little fur-demon. Knocking things over, clawing things, beating up the other cats, you name it, she’ll do it. I lived in the city when I got her, so she was an indoors cat for about a year, and it was hell. I do believe cats can live good lives inside, but Medusa would just not have it at all.

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And if there is something being dropped, like the computer, is there another place you can move it to where it will be safe but still accessible?
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 , The Mac these guys dropped was just a bit of accident. Generally, my Laptops are in safe place. This was when I received call while working & I had to put my laptop on sofa, that these guys dropped it. Like all cats, they love my Laptops so much & its so easy for the Mac to be dropped while they are rubbing their mouths on the corners.

& that is not a thing for which I want deterrents. Those are needed when these idiots are doing a balancing act on the balcony or they think an infant would make a good ice cream, so lets lick it. or experimenting with that dancing blue-coloured flame like thingy.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had very few behavioral issues with cats in a lifetime of caring for many cats. The ones I did have were minor.

"Experts" strongly advise to keep cats indoors only, for their own safety and wellbeing and for the guardians' peace of mind. No matter where, there are too many dangers outside for caring, responsible people to let cats out. WE are responsible for their lives, health and safety. I hope and pray people will really think about this seriously before letting cats out.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are quite mischievous; though when they've done something they shouldn't have I'll often speak to them in a firm and clear voice (no shouting) which often makes them back away. I usually say things like "we don't do that, do we?" or "that's naughty" when I notice them misbehaving. Even though Toffee and Fudge still don't seem to learn from these they do work in the immediate situation as they do stop in the moment.

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had very few behavioral issues with cats in a lifetime of caring for many cats. The ones I did have were minor.

"Experts" strongly advise to keep cats indoors only, for their own safety and wellbeing and for the guardians' peace of mind. No matter where, there are too many dangers outside for caring, responsible people to let cats out. WE are responsible for their lives, health and safety. I hope and pray people will really think about this seriously before letting cats out.
I agree and disagree. I agree that we are responsible for the cats life, health and safety. And I also agree that can mean to have cats be indoor only.

However, I do disagree that indoor only is the only way to be a caring and responsible catowner. When I lived in a city, my cats were indoor cats. But where I live now is a place my family has lived since 1960, and I have no problem letting them go outside. There are no predators, very little traffic, very little disease or other threats. We’ve had cats here for 35 years, and we’ve only had one cat who got hurt, 20 years ago. Other than that, they’ve all been happy, healthy and lived to be fairly old. The oldest one lived to be 19 yo, before he had to be put to sleep because of cancer. Around here the experts who talk of indoor only as a rule, mostly do it for the sake of birds. Here being a responsible catowner means to get them «fixed» to not have unwanted kittens, make sure they are chipped, have a warm place to be in the winter, and give them trips to the vet for upkeep and treatment.

I also think cats are different. I have a friend with a MC who is perfectly fine with being indoor only. While my Medusa, who I got somewhere between 4-6 weeks, hated being stuck inside from the go. She had never been outside, but the year she was indoor only was a total nightmare. It was a 24 hour fight to go outside. Her quality of life as an indoor only would have been horrible. To the point that If something was to happen to her outside, I woulden’t feel bad about letting her out, since so far it has been 12 years of happiness for her.

So I don’t think that it is one right or one wrong when it comes to indoor vs outdoor. It’s about the cat, where you live and being responsible.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree and disagree. I agree that we are responsible for the cats life, health and safety. And I also agree that can mean to have cats be indoor only.

However, I do disagree that indoor only is the only way to be a caring and responsible catowner. When I lived in a city, my cats were indoor cats. But where I live now is a place my family has lived since 1960, and I have no problem letting them go outside. There are no predators, very little traffic, very little disease or other threats. We’ve had cats here for 35 years, and we’ve only had one cat who got hurt, 20 years ago. Other than that, they’ve all been happy, healthy and lived to be fairly old. The oldest one lived to be 19 yo, before he had to be put to sleep because of cancer. Around here the experts who talk of indoor only as a rule, mostly do it for the sake of birds. Here being a responsible catowner means to get them «fixed» to not have unwanted kittens, make sure they are chipped, have a warm place to be in the winter, and give them trips to the vet for upkeep and treatment.

I also think cats are different. I have a friend with a MC who is perfectly fine with being indoor only. While my Medusa, who I got somewhere between 4-6 weeks, hated being stuck inside from the go. She had never been outside, but the year she was indoor only was a total nightmare. It was a 24 hour fight to go outside. Her quality of life as an indoor only would have been horrible. To the point that If something was to happen to her outside, I woulden’t feel bad about letting her out, since so far it has been 12 years of happiness for her.

So I don’t think that it is one right or one wrong when it comes to indoor vs outdoor. It’s about the cat, where you live and being responsible.
There are mosquitoes everywhere in the world, save the Arctic and Antarctic. It only takes one, carrying Dirofilaria immitis, to deliver a fatal bite in the form of transmitting Feline Heartworm and / or Heartworm Associated Respiratory Disease.

Heartworm in Cats

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are mosquitoes everywhere in the world, save the Arctic and Antarctic. It only takes one, carrying Dirofilaria immitis, to deliver a fatal bite in the form of transmitting Feline Heartworm and / or Heartworm Associated Respiratory Disease.

Heartworm in Cats
I had to Google it, and Dirofilaria immitis is something we don’t have endemically. The cases we’ve had with heartworm is rare enough to make headlines in national media, and are mostly with animals being illegally imported from other countries.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing that most dogs, most cats, and most kids (and even some adults!) respond to is "the look". With dogs and cats, hanging onto "the look" longer than normal to create an "awkward" moment for them works, is painless, and less stressful for us. (I don't like yelling or raising my voice. That's reserved for "you're going to get injured or killed by what you're attempting in 3 seconds if I don't interrupt you NOW". Hence, a yell from me gets their attention at lightning speed.)
I'd get "the look" when I was a kid and being a brat. Mom never had to say a word. She'd simply freeze, stare at me with that "That thing you're doing? It's probably in your best interest to stop it. Immediately."
I've mastered something similar with one of our dogs that's obsessed with trying to steal food from the other dogs or cats, and "the look" for him is a frozen body/face, staring at him with an expression of irritation mixed with an incredulous look. It seems to drive the point home, "WHY are you doing that. You know better. And I'm kind of amazed that you'd momentarily lose your brain long enough to even try."
If you had a parent or were ever around an adult that knew "the look", you know what I'm talking about =)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was my bad! Sorry! To add, I was disciplined by my parents since I was 10 months old.

This may be cultural issue, but people around me have advised me that it is alright to discipline the cats - most of us discipline their kids too, as inhuman as it may sound. I got into scrap with one of my cats once - the same guy that I have mentioned above. I am not advocating hitting the pets as such, but in animal kingdom, wouldn't pain & pleasure be 2 sides of a coin? In jungle, as in society, must everybody not fear consequences?
Discipline is discipline. The best disciplinarian I ever knew was one of my grandparents, and they used discipline as a means of communication, not "pain". They never, ever laid a hand on me in my entire life to get their point across.
I did not grow up to resent this person, and I rather miss them and their wisdom. They were very quiet, very calm and level headed and did not see discipline as a cultural thing meant to mask any kind of pain. It's teaching youngsters to grow up to be level headed adults with good morals and knowing right from wrong without making them "scared" to make a mistake.
If you were disciplined physically, I am sorry because that's never OK. But do not use this as a reason to perpetuate that misery. If you feel you were treated unfairly as a child, only YOU can stop the cycle.
Remember, your kittens are 14 weeks. WEEKS! They're very young.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing that most dogs, most cats, and most kids (and even some adults!) respond to is "the look".
Lol, yes! I even used this effectively on my neighbor’s cat, Myrtle. She comes and attacks our window, so I stared her down until she slunk away. I felt jubilant and dirty at the same time, since all my other interactions involve calm slowblinks.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a deep, leveled and stern voice when my cat is doing something I don't like. When he bites me, I either tap his nose and firmly say "no" or I tap his butt and gently push him off. By now he knows that that is my serious voice and is more likely to listen. It also helps if you have treats on hand when they are doing something you like/praising them.

maincoonmama

Geriatric/S.N Rescuer
Kitten
Purraise
learning to train cats can be tricky. you can train them, but not like a dog. you don't want them on a surface, use double sided sticky tape or a ssscat cat. spray bottles break their trust, and they will just learn to keep doing whatever they want, just when you aren't around. if they do something that you want them to do praise them and give them treats. and now you have your yes/no. In my opinion, the best way to rain cats is to make them think it is their idea.

maincoonmama

Geriatric/S.N Rescuer
Kitten
Purraise
DO NOT HIT YOUR CAT.EVER. you can seriously injure them, and you will permanently, break their trust. they cannot be disciplined, and don't understand the concept of it. anyone who thinks or acts otherwise is kidding themselves and being abusive with only a negative ending result.it is like hitting a toddler who speaks another language. they just know you hurt them, but they don't understand why. the only ending result is you are no longer a safe human

NyxHemera45

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm having a major problem with my cat about teaching her not to bite me even if it's just play biting
I've tried saying no I've tried walking away all the advice that I've gotten before from posting in these forums
NOTHING WORKs. And to be honest it's making me a little crazy
I take her for walks I try to play with her as much as I can
And she's just getting more playful and aggressive
And I seriously don't know what to do