How Do You Teach Your Cat Does And Don’t?

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two 14 week old kittens that’s been with me for two weeks. As most kittens, they go a little crazy at times. :) It’s been a while since the last time I had a kitten, so I feel a bit rusty at times. So I was wondering, how do you all teach your cats what they aren’t allowed to do? :)

So far I’ve been trying to say no, and remove them from what they are doing. Like yesterday, when we were trying to eat dinner and little Sorry jumped up on the table and tried to help herself. I had to lift her down about 10 times, so that didn’t really work. I’ve also been using a little spraybottle of water, to give them a little spray when they are using their claws on furniture, and that seems to be working a little.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
“No” isn’t a word cats understand, but positive reinforcement works. Don’t yell st them for jumping on the table, just pick them up and praise them as you put them on the floor (treats on the floor might help.) “Good job!” is a phrase my cat relaxes visibly to. But “no” just frustrates him.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both my boys understand "No" said in a low rumbly voice. When they do something I don't want them to, generally I tell them "no" as soon as they start doing it, if they don't stop I gently stop them from doing it (tap their feet if they are scratching, take things away that they are chewing, etc.). You have to do it every time you see them doing something "bad" and do it quickly.

I also try to distract them with something else fun afterwards.

In general though, it is easier to teach them through positive reinforcement than deterrence.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would tell them no and remove them from the table ... one time only. I would pick them up and calmly put them in the kitten room, until dinner was finished. It takes time & consistency. I would give them one chair pulled slightly from the table or a cat tree they could be on during dinner. If they go to that chair they get a treat.

For big things like rushing the door, I would shake a penny can.

For the counters say off and clap your hands if need be. If they don't get down, calmly place them on the ground then ignore them for a bit. Repeat 50 times ;)

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, if I raise a thought that will offend many people here...

Anybody ever heard of 'Spare the rod & spoil the child'?

Probably I am coming with this attitude today because I got badly scratched by my cat this morning, whom I have allowed to be his own way for last 2 months, while providing the best food & security.

Somebody's gonna get hurt, real bad.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
.....You are way bigger than your cat. So take hitting off the table. If you must clap your hands and say no or use a penny can sparingly.

Was she attacking because she needs play? Play aggression issue?

Was she frightened of you so she attacked you?

Did she redirect her aggression onto you when she really wanted to attack another cat?

When you are calm, think about the why. Then if you tell us we can help you.

(sorry about the divided post I'm on my cell.)

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How this got into a cat hitting issue I have no idea.
That was my bad! Sorry! To add, I was disciplined by my parents since I was 10 months old.

This may be cultural issue, but people around me have advised me that it is alright to discipline the cats - most of us discipline their kids too, as inhuman as it may sound. I got into scrap with one of my cats once - the same guy that I have mentioned above. I am not advocating hitting the pets as such, but in animal kingdom, wouldn't pain & pleasure be 2 sides of a coin? In jungle, as in society, must everybody not fear consequences?

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for serious consideration...
You are way bigger than your cat. So take hitting off the table. If you must clap your hands and say no or use a penny can sparingly.
Absolutely! Did that once, will never do it again.

Was she attacking because she needs play? Play aggression issue?
Nope. Luke doesn't play with me.

Was she frightened of you so she attacked you?
I was just giving him a leg up, because he was clinging to my kitchen counter. I generally like them up there with me.

Did she redirect her aggression onto you when she really wanted to attack another cat?
Nope.

When you are calm, think about the why. Then if you tell us we can help you.
As I have mentioned in another thread here, I am getting a feeling that Luke thinks its OK for him to scratch wildly, when he feels frightened. He is picking fight over flight because he thinks 'fight' gets him what he wants.

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Striking an infant is always abuse. I'm sorry that happened to you.
No worries, turned out pretty fine.

& from what I heard, I was pretty aggressive as a kid. My parents controlled it well by means of discipline. They did a good job, although, their methods might be unacceptable to some. I doubt if I would have mellowed down with Love. I would probably have gotten over-inflated sense of entitlement & would have been spoilt kid.

Back to cats...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hitting children is not the only way, or the best way, to discipline. Hitting is only punishment and teaches very little. You may not have been so aggressive if they didn't hit you when you were an infant.

Anyway. Yes, best not to advocate hitting cats, as you found out, it makes them aggressive.
He is picking fight over flight because he thinks 'fight' gets him what he wants.
Yes. This is how animals (and small children) work. They do what gets the best results. If you can show him that being gentle will get the best results, then that's how he'll behave.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"How Do You Teach Your Cat Does And Don’t?"

For the most part, my cats "does" as they wants to "does", and they "don't does" what they don't want to does. ;) I don't have many "cat rules" and have 3 pretty cool laidback kitties.

I did own one cat who had to be vanquished to the bedroom temporarily if I were prepping or cooking food. Otherwise, he would likely have been injured jumping onto the hot stove, or ruined my food jumping in the middle of a cutting board.

Most kitties learn that they aren't welcome at certain times (prepping, cooking, eating) if you consistently pick them up and set them on the floor without "event".

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cats "does" as they wants to "does", and they "don't does" what they don't want to does. ;)
Haha! Yeah that. I'm pretty sure I live by more cat rules than they live by people rules.

Also, it's all about trust. Cats don't trust people who hurt them. And cats are nearly wild, so they don't trust easily, and if they had bad experiences in their youth they may never trust humans fully, no matter how trustworthy an individual human may be.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cats "does" as they wants to "does", and they "don't does" what they don't want to does. ;)
Haha! Yeah that. I'm pretty sure I live by more cat rules than they live by people rules.

Also, it's all about trust. Cats don't trust people who hurt them. And cats are nearly wild, so they don't trust easily, and if they had bad experiences in their youth they may never trust humans fully, no matter how trustworthy an individual human may be.