How do you let got of your fosters?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not done a whole lot of fostering. I have fostered 2 kitties that turned out to be terminal. So letting them go was hard, but since they are gone I know they are in a better place. Right now I am fostering Nera for the second time. She has eyelid agenisis. She is super sweet with me, but hates my other cats. I know that I can not keep her, but I am dreading the day I have to take her back to the shelter. When I did it the first time, I knew she would be comming back after her next procedure. Today she is getting her teeth cleaned & then she needs another eye surgery with at least a month recovery time. So it is not like I'm going to have to take her back tomorrow, but I'm just trying to prepare myself. I just want her to get a good home & be with someone who can give her all the love and attention she needs. She is very attatched to me, as I am to her, but my home is not a good fit for her. I just know it's going to be hard when I don't get to see her every day, and tell her how beautiful she is. I am trying to prepare for that day. So how do you all deal with that day?

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cry almost everytime I let my fosters go because I love them ALL, but I let them go knowing that I can then help ANOTHER kitty who needs me. If I kept them all, I wouldn't be able to continue to help others.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a terrible challenge! I am struggling with it right now. At least one of my fosters MUST go to another home because he is so frightened of the other cats he is cooped up in the spare bedroom. I just hope and pray that the new owners will love, cherish and care for these guys the same way I do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

It's a terrible challenge! I am struggling with it right now. At least one of my fosters MUST go to another home because he is so frightened of the other cats he is cooped up in the spare bedroom. I just hope and pray that the new owners will love, cherish and care for these guys the same way I do.
I don't think Nera would ever be totally happy or relaxed in my home because of the other cats. Her sight is not that great so being around other cats is scary for her. I still have time with her, but I know the day I have to take her back to the shelter my heart will break.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perhaps the organization you foster for will let you sit through a few adoptions - although not adoptions for your particular fosters. When you see the joy that people have when they find their new companion that will help.

I also recommend getting another foster pet when yours have been adopted to keep the cycle going.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat Traufield

Perhaps the organization you foster for will let you sit through a few adoptions - although not adoptions for your particular fosters. When you see the joy that people have when they find their new companion that will help.

I also recommend getting another foster pet when yours have been adopted to keep the cycle going.
I have acutlally done many adoptions for our shelter. I do like the idea of taking another foster, that way I have something to look forward to when I have to take her back to the shelter.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't operate in conjunction with a shelter but a foster-based rescue. I have a sad and touching story to share. Sitting at dinner the other night with my BF and we were talking about the cats. He adores them!! He said he could never be there when/if Archie got adopted b/c he couldn't stand to see the fear and confusion on Arch's face, being taken away in a carrier, etc.... and then he got really quiet, his eyes got red and filled with tears. He cleared his throat a few times and moved food around on his plate.

I changed the subject.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad you have been able to sit through some adoptions. Isn't it great to witness people meeting their new companion!!! I don't recommend being there for your own fosters adoption.

Each time you go through the foster cycle it will get easier and easier!

The first time I fostered was an entire little of puppies from 6- 8 weeks. When the first pup got adopted I cried and 3 days when the last pup got adopted I said "thank goodness I can sleep through the night".

That was 17 years ago. After years and years of working at a great animal shelter I really trust the process and focus on the joy of connecting the people with their new pets.