How Do You Clean The Actual Litter Box?

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use clumping litter, and in addition to scooping daily, I wash the box each week (Saturday morning ritual).

I have a second box, and after I scoop, I pour the clean litter into the auxiliary box. Then I wash out the box with VERY hot water, scrubbing with paper towel, rinsing, and drying with paper towels. I don't use soap or any other cleanser, and I find the weekly hot water wash keeps the box fresh.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one box for my cat, which I line with a puppy pad. I use a litter box screen and screen the clumps out every few days, using a regular scoop on the other days. Once a week after I screen I change the puppy pad. Nothing leaks through so I never need to wash the box.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once a month (less if I use a liner, to be honest) I dispose of the contents, wipe the box with a paper towel, then I wash the litter box out in the shower using Nature’s Miracle, along with a drop of dishwasher detergent. I scrub them let it sit in very hot water about 20 minutes, then I pour it into the toilet, rinse, pour again into the shower, (which I later clean with bleach). Using a really good quality clumping litter seems key to keeping the box itself clean. If I have liners then cleaning is much easier.

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a toilet brush (that is only for the boxes) and dish soap. If it smells (rarely) I will use vinegar straight soak then rinse and clean like usual. I've had people come in and only know I have cats because they see them.