How Do We Prevent Kidney Disease In Cats?

burrgandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tonight, I was called by my vet, telling me that my cat's blood work came back really bad. She is on IV therapy, until I figure, the day before my birthday , if I'm going to put her down, or bring her home for a few days , then do it. He said she won't get better.

How do we PREVENT kidney disease in our cats? Are we feeding them bad food without being aware of it? Kidney diet , is low phosphorus , low protein . Is this the way we should be feeding our cats long before the get kidney disease ? Tonight , my heart is shattered. I've lost my middle son, and didn't want to lose my cat. She is all I've got. Tonight, sitting here, without her in my house, it's so empty. I know she is still alive at the vet, but this is what I'm going to to have to get used to... Without my Precious cat. Kidney disease is Brutal!! She didn't deserve this!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for what you're going through now...

As far as I know, kidney disease can't be prevented. It's no use, for instance, feeding renal food to our cats in their adult years (say 5-6 years).
Feeding them renal food does not prevent or delay the disease. This is what I was told a few years ago.
Multi-cat houses, where all at eat the same stuff, do not have all cats sick at the same time.
What can make the difference is how early you detect the disease.

In my experience, people realize of it only too late.
It's even too common to hear people saying:
"My cat was fine, then suddenly he/she was sick and had CKD".

Of course there can be the case when the disease develops suddenly and quickly.
But I think it's much more likely that people didn't notice the early signs of the disease, so they started every treatment too late to prolong their cat's life.
In addition, sometimes people are not consistent with the therapies, or they do only a few of the many things a cat owner should do with a cat with CKD.

The cat in my avatar got CKD at the age between 5 and 6, she lived to be nearly 17, and didn't die from CKD. In fact, a few weeks before she died, her kidney levels were still borderline, just like they had been since we found out what she had.
I think I got the first signals very early, so we started the necessary therapy and diet at her very first stage of the disease. And I did everything, and more than, the vet told me to do.
Renal diet as the first thing, regular sub-Qs, pre- and probiotics daily, vitamin Bs. She would have a complete blood test done every six months, initially, then every 4 months in her last 4 or 5 years.
Probably we've been lucky, maybe things would have been that way regardless my constant and tireless intervention, but I think that what I did helped her to live healthy in that department.
On a couple of occasions I had asked the vet if my other cat would have taken advantage from a renal diet even if she was still fine, and the vet always replied that renal food can't be a prevention of the disease.

I hope it was true and that this helps you.
Give a kiss to your kitty from me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry about your baby girl. I wish there was something I could tell you that maybe would make things better. But, the least I can do is to give you a couple of articles about things you can do to try to avoid kidney disease occurring, and what to look for in terms of early signs of a possible problem. The advice is not a guarantee to preventing it, but is helpful about proactive steps you can take.

Tips for Preventing Kidney Failure in Cats - Petfinder
Five Ways to Prevent Kidney Disease in Cats -