How Do I Train A Cat To Use Her Cat Bed?

Dany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've tried putting her favorite toys, treats, and even my sandals (which she loves to rub her head on/lie on top of) in her bed to get her to use it, but she won't go inside it. She'll either take the toy from the bed or just stare at it and meow at me. It's not that big a deal that she isn't using it, but I'd like to be able to have her sleep there if it's possible.

astrael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Put it in a box? :dunno: lol

Honestly, I have all sorts of comfy beds and stuff for Scutch. But it's a human bed or the couch for him. Once in a while he'll sleep on the bottom of his cat tower. Judy (friendly feral) likes a blanket folded on the floor/couch when she's decides to come in for a while.

I've had no luck. Catnip hasn't helped. Calming sprays, treats, toys... Nope, won't sleep in 'em. Sorry, this probably isn't much help. Cats can just be picky sometimes. Maybe try placing it near where she sleeps? Or, you could try actually putting it in a box. Maybe if it's a "hiding spot" she'll have more interest in it. (Won't work for Scutch, he hates cardboard. Never seen a cat dislike it so much before. Had to get him a sisal scratching post. lol)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't :lol: Cats will sleep wherever they want even they have a bed just for them.

What kind of bed does she have? Cats are picky about everything. If the bed is cave-like, she may not like it so try an open flat bed or cushion. Or just a large cardbord box, even a large shoe box.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try putting a soft blanket or throw in it. Or since cats love to lay on paper, maybe a sheet of newspaper until she gets in the habit of sleeping in it.

Have you tried moving it to different locations? Maybe right beside where she usually sleeps?

How long have you had it? Cats go through phases and will suddenly change their sleeping location, so she may still discover it's a good sleeping place.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put it in a box? :dunno: lol
:yeah: I just brought another box home from work yesterday. My boss mail orders a lot of stuff. Endless supply of "fresh" cat beds. lol I told him that most cats would rather sleep in a tacky-looking box than an expensive beautiful cat bed. I put a fleece throw in some boxes and leave some empty. I think some cats get too hot in the summer for beds and blankets.

One of my kitten's favorite places to lounge is on a pillow case that I stuffed with the paper confetti from the paper shredder at work. My job offers priceless fringe benefits for cats!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Cats have different preferences of where they choose to sleep. I bought my boy a bed and he slept in it once when he was having a fever and after that he never use it again :confused: End up giving it away as it was brand new.

The only bed he is using now is my bed which he sleeps in every night :sleep:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She started using her bed! I'm so glad, she seems so enjoy it too. I guess it just took some time for her to get used to it, I've had her for less than a week so I figured she'd use it eventually.

Attachments

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She started using her bed! I'm so glad, she seems so enjoy it too. I guess it just took some time for her to get used to it, I've had her for less than a week so I figured she'd use it eventually.

Good news! And in less than a week?! That's quick! It looks comfy, too. It took my cat two months to finally use this pouch to sleep in. You just never know with cats, lol.

nbeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat says she wants to eat right now, not sleep...