How do I "refresh" a catnip toy? Specifically, this "Frisco Moppy Ball"?

comp625

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Leia, LOVES the "Frisco Moppy Ball" that I found on Chewy for $2/each. I bought her both the teal one and the purple one. Gave her the teal one first and after two weeks or so, it lost its catnip effectiveness. I then gave her the purple one and she was all about it....for two weeks until the purple one lost its effectiveness.

These moppy balls aren't refillable. But I've read there are various techniques to "refresh" catnip toys - some involve a catnip spray, some involve putting the toy into a ziploc bag that has catnip in it, etc. And each method seems to work for some, but not others.

Question 1: How should I go about "refreshing" these moppy balls?
Question 2: What's the best brand or type of catnip to buy for this "refresh"?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put it in a jar with catnip, leave it for a week or so. It's good to always have a few toys in the catnip jar so you can switch them out when needed.

Good catnip is made with the buds, lower-quality catnip is mostly stems. Any pet store should have some of the higher-quality stuff, although it isn't cheap! Just for toy refreshing, you could probably get away with lower-quality though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

comp625

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! How much catnip should I put into this jar?

Also, can you recommend a specific type of high quality catnip? And/or what I should look out for when discerning between the higher quality vs. lower quality catnip?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you rotate your toys? I find that sometimes cats just get bored of a toy, including catnip ones. If you hide it for a couple weeks and then bring it out again it may be novel and exciting again.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question 1: How should I go about "refreshing" these moppy balls?
I've found that dunking the catnip toy in water, then letting it air-dry in the sunshine gives the catnip a boost!

... These moppy balls aren't refillable. ...
You can try making a cut in the fabric and seeing if you can empty at least some of the old catnip and refill it with some brand new catnip. Then sew up the moppy ball again.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! How much catnip should I put into this jar?

Also, can you recommend a specific type of high quality catnip? And/or what I should look out for when discerning between the higher quality vs. lower quality catnip?

You don't need a lot. A tablespoon or so is plenty. Put the toy in, shake the jar up, and let it "marinate".

You can grow your own cat nip for the freshest nip :) Give the leaves to your cat fresh or dried. You can buy seeds from pretty much anywhere. Burpee and other seed catalogs / web sites sell catnip seeds. Grow in a fairly large 8 inch or so pot with drainage and with a plain potting mix (no fertilizers or stuff added) and only water with plain water.

If you prefer to not grow your own, look for catnip that isn't completely powder. Some low quality brands are just fine powder. Look for whole leaf catnip like these: