How do I make raw food more appealing??

hfbeckett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat just doesn't seem interested in it because it doesn't smell good. He is used to eating super smelly food, like Purina Crud. I want to desperately get him on raw food, but I've read approaches where you put the food out and wait for them to eat for a certain amount of time and then pick it up and take it away. Doesn't work for him and I don't want to do that again. I did it for a day, and nope neither of us was happy (he still ate).

I have FortiFlora but with the Purina recall I don't want to use it. I've heard terrible things about Temptations as well. I have the CET dental chews, but I feel like it's more beneficial not to crush them up because he really does enjoy eating them in their log form. Can prolonged use of fishy oil also cause mercury poisoning?

He is also too smart for his own good! I've tried adding a little on his plate away from his normal food, then a little more getting closer to the food in increments but he senses it or something and it puts him off to his other food.

Is there a way to make the food smellier??

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this commercial raw or homemade raw? Try sprinkling some crushed up freeze dried raw over the raw. Freeze dried raw is super stinky compared to frozen or homemade raw.

Some cats don't take to frozen or homemade raw right away. You have to introduce it slowly, adding small amounts to food the cat likes and very gradually increasing the amount of raw. Stinky toppers often helps.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squeeze some fish oil into it. It's good for them anyway. My cats get one capsule every night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hfbeckett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its home-made raw, recipe from catinfo.org!

Any good brands for freeze-dried raw stuffs?