How do I get to cat to STOP being obsessed with me??

hakyred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 month old kitten and this is my first time owning one (I've had him for a month now) so I'm new to kitten behavior. My kitten is a super hyper, crazy, fun, cute guy and I love him to death but omg he's SO annoying!
He never lets me sleep in peace. If I'm on my phone or laptop, he'll sit infront of me so I can't see it. He loves to lay by my face and put his head on mine, which annoys me because he purs so loudly I can't sleep. He also licks my hair and face which grosses me out. And as much as I push him and away and say no he keeps coming back! I thought maybe he wants me to get him food but that's not the case. I finally got fed up, locked him out of my room and I woke up to him meowing loud which made me feel guilty. How do I stop this?! Will he grow out of it?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 3 month old kitten and this is my first time owning one (I've had him for a month now) so I'm new to kitten behavior. My kitten is a super hyper, crazy, fun, cute guy and I love him to death but omg he's SO annoying!
He never lets me sleep in peace. If I'm on my phone or laptop, he'll sit infront of me so I can't see it. He loves to lay by my face and put his head on mine, which annoys me because he purs so loudly I can't sleep. He also licks my hair and face which grosses me out. And as much as I push him and away and say no he keeps coming back! I thought maybe he wants me to get him food but that's not the case. I finally got fed up, locked him out of my room and I woke up to him meowing loud which made me feel guilty. How do I stop this?! Will he grow out of it?
Sounds like my Aby when he was a kitten
My solution? Adopt a second cat so my Aby would have a friend to play with. Problem (almost) solved - Abys are such high energy cats and love attention so I still had to play with him and whatnot daily.

Kittens just want to play and interact with their person. It's totally normal. Some kittens may be more demanding and "annoying" than others but that's just their personality. Most kittens do settle down as they get older. Make sure to give your kitten lots of playtime every day.

Keep an eye on the kitten - if he starts getting into mischief and trouble (my Aby chewed on electrical cords), then he clearly is bored and is seeking out things to do when you aren't around or too busy to give him attention. Getting a similar age kitten or older cat would definitely help. A shelter or rescue can show you potential cats that are more laid back and easy going than your crazy kitten. The cat I adopted is just a few weeks older than my Aby and is quiet. Both cats got along just fine from the start but that's not always the case.

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just want to say another kitten might not solve everything.  I have two litter-mates and Pickles, the sister, is still very clingy.  She loves to sleep on my face or cries if she can't find me.  She is best friends with her brother Pepper and they play together lots but they're still babies and need lots of attention.  Pepper plays it a bit more cool so I guess it's also personality.  Pepper also loves to sleep by my head.  Pickles is actually crawling all over my shoulders and neck as I type this!  I guess Pepper is off napping somewhere.

I think they will outgrow it a bit. My old cat was much more clingy as a kitten and became more distant shortly after turning a year.  She still loved us and was affectionate, of course, but it wasn't so annoying.  I actually started to miss the pillow sharing!  So I am trying to enjoy it while it lasts even if some nights I have to kick them out due to being too silly and active.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Ahh he just loves you, and wants to be with you, they do grow out of it and get more independent! I had my first cat from a kitten, she was very needy at first but is very independent now! Having said that I adopted a stray cat last year- estimated to be about 11 years and she insists on sleeping on my belly, and will rub her head against my face Lol! I don't have the heart to put her out of the room- even though I am often sleep deprived!

Good luck ;)

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
another vote for a 2nd kitten. kittens this age want to play play play, snuggle, eat, sleep, repeat and they like to groom and be groomed by another kitty. 2 kittens are really easier than 1 imo. i think cats (and most animals) need 1 of their own species as a companion. 1/2 the fun of having kittens is watching them play together. i have a thread you might like here about why 2 kittens are better than 1:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/303159/10-reasons-why-2-kittens-are-better-than-1

and you don't have to do a long drawn out introduction at this age. 

Last edited:

southbound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should consider yourself lucky. I read a lot of threads on this site people complaining their new kitten hides and is aloof. You'll get your wish the kitten will become a cat and need to spend less time with you. I happen to think it's kinda cute actually.