How do I get my kitten to stop biting the corners of the fences I installed in my house?

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nugget won't stop biting the corners of the kitchen fence. She has done it well enough to make a hole which her sister got through. We found her sister eating my soup which I'm still kind of mad about because she has TONS of cat food already including two bowls of wet food, dry food, some treats throughout the day, and two fresh water bowls. This is why we don't want them in the kitchen since we sometimes leave food out or because we don't always clean up immediately. Also some other reasons why my mom and I do not want them in the kitchen: we both have severe allergies, their hair gets everywhere (even in the kitchen), they would be on top of the tables and the counters (which tend to get overcrowded or still have food) and it would be very frustrating to train them not to jump on the counters because cats don't really care about what humans want (I've learned that the hard way), and because if we let them in the kitchen they would bother us for human food even though they for sure know that they have their own food available.

Sometimes I think Nugget gets really desperate when I go in the kitchen and that's why she bites the corners of the fence but other times I think it's because of the smell or visuals of the food we eat. I'm not really sure what's the exact reason but I want to train her not to do that because I can't afford anymore break-ins. (We once had a full week of them trying to break in and it was super stressful...)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I read some of your earlier threads. I wish you wouldn't get angry with them, -- eating your soup is no different than sniffing and/or eating things found on the floor. They are young and need patience, love and respect for the wonderful creatures that they are.

These may help, training her not to chew the fence isn't any different than training them to stay off the counters.

How To Keep Cats Off Counters And Tables – TheCatSite Articles

How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply, she doesn't just do this to the kitchen fence, we have fences upstairs in front of our rooms because we both inherited severe allergies and our allergists told us to not keep the cats in the rooms. She has begun to peel the fences off of our doors even when we're not there. There are things in our rooms that she can swallow or knock over and mess up. I've caught her twice in my mom's room which has lots of mirrors, glass, and other hazards and this is not okay because we can't have her breaking in. She's been in our rooms before and we've already established that they can't be in our rooms for months already. I'm not sure why she is trying to destroy this foundation we've set.

If we lived somewhere different and our allergies were more under control we'd let them in our rooms but we don't want them running on us when we're trying to sleep or knocking things over + we have allergies so we just keep them out of the room. They have the entire hallway+living room. Our house is small but those places are the biggest rooms.

The kitchen fence for now is taken care of but she has been trying to get inside of our rooms when we're not suspecting her. We're just going to have to start closing our doors completely because she is doing this to every fence when she hasn't done this before ( this fence biting has started maybe since last month and they've been up since the beginning of this year bc I developed my severe allergies then and I also developed other medical issues after).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I think she may be doing this because of curiosity or because of attention. I've played with her and pet a lot her earlier today. She started attacking my mom's fence a couple days ago and then today she came in but my mom shooed her away, and just 10 minutes ago she did it again when we were both downstair and unaware. I think we're just goign to remove the fences and shut our doors.