How do I care for Mr. Beefy without bringing him inside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rvsarch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Truly feral cats can be difficult to socialize. If she is "semi feral" meaning an abandoned pet, like Mr. Beefy, it should be much easier. It may take some time before she is comfortable wandering the house. Beefy took weeks of access to the kitchen and basement before he was comfortable moving into other spaces, but this was probably because of our dog, Mugsy. Give her time. Beefy was happy to have me sit beside him while he ate, since he was used to competing for food outdoors. I think it made him feel safe. He is super friendly with my wife and I, but when a stranger comes in the house, he avoids them. He's generally very confident and seems annoyed by our new puppy, but by no means afraid. She's only 14 weeks old, so she will need to calm down before she can be respectful of him. He'll walk right by her now if she's sleeping or busy eating. As for preferring the outside, Mr. Beefy has given up crying by the door, but he still tries to get out if he's by the door when we come in or go out. Mostly, he looks out the window in the morning and seems quite content. He follows the sun and finds comfy spots to sleep around the house throughout the day. When he was outside, he was territorial and fought with other cats and even chased foxes out of our yard. He had terrible fly bite allergies as well and was not smart about crossing the street. He had to come in to have a chance at a long life.
IMG_2826.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Those are adorable pictures of both dogs with Mr. B. He looks very happy to be inside; they will "ask" to go out, but it does not sound as if his heart is in it. The last two I adopted, my avatar and her sister, truly understand that they are safer inside from all perspectives.

rvsarch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mr Beefy in his double decker cat bed. He can sit on top and look out the window or sleep inside. It's up against a radiator, so toasty warm in winter. Our new dog, Bumble will walk right up and go nose to nose with him. He is a very confident cat.

IMG_0055.jpeg

P1072053.jpeg

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love seeing pictures of Mr.Beefy . What a wonderful life he is living now.

I love that double decker basket rvsarch rvsarch could you share where you found that?

rvsarch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got the cat basket at least fifteen years ago for Bubble & Squeak, so no memory of where it came from. We adopted them from the Women's SPCA in Philadelphia. Beefy does break off the occasional piece, so it's not without issues.

2004-10-27 at 16-05-22.jpeg

rvsarch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bumble turns one this week. They get along pretty well. The only problem is when Bumble wants to play and Mr. Beefy does not. He'll hiss at her and she runs away.
Bumble&Beefy.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
They are both just too cute! Bumble is a real doll, such a classic spaniel and I love the "I tell the dog what to do" look on Mr. Beefy's face.