How Did Your Vet React To Raw Feeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took two of my three girls to the vet yesterday for their annual visit, the first since I started feeding homemade. He was great! I took a copy of the recipe (Dr. Pierson’s) which he looked through and asked to keep. He’s not a fan of dry food at all and is a believer in high protein, low carb wet food. He said it’s hard to really know what the companies that make canned food are putting in it, even the premium brands. He said the girls were really healthy, have gorgeous coats, and don’t look their age (they’re 14). So yay!
That's great news!

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, it kind of makes me laugh when vets use the salmonella scare tactic against raw diets.
Yes, salmonella is a risk. Salmonella lives everywhere.
Unless they have been living in lala land, they might remember commercial diets being recalled for salmonella recently....along with listeria, e-coli, melamine that killed THOUSANDS in 2007, and chunks of metal and plastic and parts of malfunctioning machinery in making those foods.

So the "salmonella in raw food is sooper skary" thing doesn't really worry me much anymore, especially since most vets fail to fairly mention the scores of food recalled lately for salmonella...and much worse, and come to terms that food can be recalled or tainted at any time, and that goes for animals AND humans alike.
I totally agree with you our vets say about it when ever you mention raw it’s crazy, unfortunately although our German Shepard eats raw our cats don’t due to the fact they just won’t just won’t touch it. I always make sure I go to the vet that does agree with raw feeding as there are three vets at the practise but even she says oh I know I get lectured on feeding my own cats raw I don’t take any notice