How Did Your Vet React To Raw Feeding?

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Just looking for some advice on how you handled this!

Busy's first prescription for Prednisolone is almost empty and I need to take her to the vet for a check-in/refill. While my vet was super amazing during the emergency care and diagnosis phase, I'm really not sure how she'll react to raw feeding. When we picked her up from her emergency stay, they said should be eating Purina Pro Plan Veterinary EN Gastroentric, mix of wet and dry. And one of the vet techs told me that they like to see some kibble in the diet for dental health. Sure, Jan. :rolleyes3:

I feed commercial raw now, because it's the only food that keeps her poop normal. The EN dry is mainly soy, she had two flare-ups while eating it, and it gives her terrible gas. The EN wet is higher in carbs and an all-canned diet of any kind gives her diarrhea. I feed raw for meals and a small Ziwi peak air-dried kibble for a snack. Once or twice a week, she does get a can of food if I forget to defrost a meal.

I know I'm going to have to discuss her diet during the vet appointment, and I'm nervous about it. I'm confident in her diet; raw works really well for her and I'm hopeful we can reduce the pred even more because of it. But I feel like I might have to defend it. How did your (non-holistic) vets react to raw? How do you respond to their diet recommendations?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
If I was dealing with a vet who is misinformed about nutrition and raw diets I would either avoid talking about nutrition with them or tell them that I have done lots of research and I’m confident in the diet I’m feeding but that I will take their advice into consideration. You aren’t obligated to feed what your vet recommends. Don’t feel pressured by them. Given that she’s doing well on the diet you’re currently feeding I would be reluctant to change her to something else.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been surprised at how little vet opposition I've run into. Because of a change in ownership of the clinic I have used for many years I've seen probably 6-8 vets in the last 2-3 years. All but one were actually supportive of a raw diet. The one said she didn't approve but she knew people would do it anyway so she didn't make an issue of it.

At the 3 vet clinic I go to now, all of them recommend a raw diet for IBD cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been surprised at how little vet opposition I've run into. Because of a change in ownership of the clinic I have used for many years I've seen probably 6-8 vets in the last 2-3 years. All but one were actually supportive of a raw diet. The one said she didn't approve but she knew people would do it anyway so she didn't make an issue of it.

At the 3 vet clinic I go to now, all of them recommend a raw diet for IBD cats.
Thanks! That's reassuring. Fingers crossed my vet is the same.

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I was dealing with a vet who is misinformed about nutrition and raw diets I would either avoid talking about nutrition with them or tell them that I have done lots of research and I’m confident in the diet I’m feeding but that I will take their advice into consideration. You aren’t obligated to feed what your vet recommends. Don’t feel pressured by them. Given that she’s doing well on the diet you’re currently feeding I would be reluctant to change her to something else.
Thanks! I'm definitely not planning on switching her diet. I guess I'm just preparing to defend my choices? But you're right. I don't have to take their advice.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I haven’t taken the girls to my traditional vet since I switched to raw (the holistic vet, of course, is thrilled—he feeds Rad Cat), but that visit will be coming up in September. I don’t know how he’ll react, but I plan to take a copy of my recipe (Dr. Pierson’s at catinfo.org) for them to have for the girls’ file. Before he had a clinic, he was on the faculty at a vet school so it should be interesting. He was pleased when I was feeding high protein/low carb canned, so I’m hopeful he’ll be supportive. If not, I’ll do what I always do when someone says something stupid or something I disagree with: “Hmm. Interesting. Good to know.” I’m not an arguer! :)

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet was very much against it. She said it's dangerous and lectured me about how the only good foods are Royal Canin and Science Diet. She considers all other food inferior and unhealthy.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine asks if it's premade raw or homemade and leaves it at that.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mixed. A few were thrilled, a few finger wagged and treated us like we were naughty 3 year olds caught stealing cookies (something that's a deal breaker for me....thanks, Bye now!), and a few asked about "what exactly" we were feeding.
I tell them what we're doing now works but are open to change if it stops working, and use the non-raw fed asthmatic as an example/proof.
I'm done being bullied by vets when it comes to diet. I hired you, and I can fire you as well.

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven’t taken the girls to my traditional vet since I switched to raw (the holistic vet, of course, is thrilled—he feeds Rad Cat), but that visit will be coming up in September. I don’t know how he’ll react, but I plan to take a copy of my recipe (Dr. Pierson’s at catinfo.org) for them to have for the girls’ file. Before he had a clinic, he was on the faculty at a vet school so it should be interesting. He was pleased when I was feeding high protein/low carb canned, so I’m hopeful he’ll be supportive. If not, I’ll do what I always do when someone says something stupid or something I disagree with: “Hmm. Interesting. Good to know.” I’m not an arguer! :)
That's a great sentence!

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my traditional vet tried to get me to put my cat on a "senior kibble" a few years ago, I was upfront about being a raw feeder. That was the first time it came up. I didn't give him a chance to lecture me about it because I immediately mentioned that I work with a local, holistic veterinarian on my raw recipe, which is the truth. He has not said anything negative about it since the day I told him but it is obvious that the office is not raw-friendly.

I still use the traditional vet as Kali's primary veterinarian because he is a wonderful person, I've been going there for 7 years and he was really there for me when my cat passed away a few months ago. And I'm loyal. I've brought home a new kitten, Odrick, and I'm using my holistic vet as his primary veterinarian.

I would advise you to try not to get emotional or defensive about the choice to feed raw. I do know that it can be challenging to work with an anti-raw vet when you have an ill cat. I truly believe that raw feeders must work with vets that are open to raw so you can help the cat in the best way and not feel like you have to hide something. But give your vet a chance...she might surprise you.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's never come up with the vet I currently go to. I had told them before I switched Gizmo to a raw/canned diet that he was on all canned and she didn't try to push dry on me. When I had to take him in after kitty play time resulted in Stevie lacerating Gizmo's third eyelid, I went to my previous vet as my current one was booked. She asked what I fed and I told her he was on a homemade fully supplemented raw and all she did was ask if he had digestive issues, which at the time I thought he had, so when I told her it had helped she was glad to hear it.

Honestly, if either ever cautioned me against it, I'd just smile and nod.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's never come up with the vet I currently go to. I had told them before I switched Gizmo to a raw/canned diet that he was on all canned and she didn't try to push dry on me. When I had to take him in after kitty play time resulted in Stevie lacerating Gizmo's third eyelid, I went to my previous vet as my current one was booked. She asked what I fed and I told her he was on a homemade fully supplemented raw and all she did was ask if he had digestive issues, which at the time I thought he had, so when I told her it had helped she was glad to hear it.

Honestly, if either ever cautioned me against it, I'd just smile and nod.
I got no real beef (pun, HAHA, I know, that was lame) with vets cautioning or questioning raw diets, because some of the recipes I see online for a "complete" raw or cooked diet are horrid. Boneless ground meat with a grain like oatmeal or rice, and some chunks of carrots thrown in is NOT a good long term diet for anything.
If I cite sources, explain what we feed, and explain we're decades into this with excellent results and I still feel pressured or bullied or "scolded", I won't patronize them.
I saw it stated here once that veterinary medicine is the ONLY medical field you'll find that says real food is dangerous and processed food is where it's at, nutritionally speaking. Kind of makes you think a bit...

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bruce...you and I are of like mind on this nutrition thang. And you make a good point about vets being cautious about raw diets, as there are so many genuinely bad ones out there...like you mentioned with the fruit and grains that should most definitely not be in a cat's diet.

I just took my two siberians in to their primary vet. Shiva (10 months old) has been on homemade raw (Dr. Pierson's as well) for about 4 months now and is doing wonderfully on it. When the vet tech asked me what I fed them I mentioned the raw diet. She asked me what I put in it and I told her...when I mentioned the taurine she relaxed and didn't really mention anything else about it. And that's understandable, as a lack of taurine would eventually kill the cat. But I'm like you, Bruce...if they gave me a lot of flack about it while they push dry kibble Science Diet trash in their lobby then that would be the last time I went to them. But so far so good....

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bruce...you and I are of like mind on this nutrition thang. And you make a good point about vets being cautious about raw diets, as there are so many genuinely bad ones out there...like you mentioned with the fruit and grains that should most definitely not be in a cat's diet.

I just took my two siberians in to their primary vet. Shiva (10 months old) has been on homemade raw (Dr. Pierson's as well) for about 4 months now and is doing wonderfully on it. When the vet tech asked me what I fed them I mentioned the raw diet. She asked me what I put in it and I told her...when I mentioned the taurine she relaxed and didn't really mention anything else about it. And that's understandable, as a lack of taurine would eventually kill the cat. But I'm like you, Bruce...if they gave me a lot of flack about it while they push dry kibble Science Diet trash in their lobby then that would be the last time I went to them. But so far so good....
Yes, yes, and yes!
We visited a vet briefly. Excellent medical doctor and was really impressed with our tribes coat, body condition and teeth. When asked what we feed, we said raw and before we could say another word the vet went into the teleprompter style speech about raw being bad and salmonella and OMG skary...
We asked why the vet complimented the pets we had there at the time before knowing their diet and they had no real good answer. Just this BS of "well, the problems don't always show immediately..."

I do understand their reluctance to accept raw diets. I've seen some TERRIBLE versions of home prepared diets, from a scant amount of smelly chicken gone off with a buttload of vegetables to feeding breakfast cereals and canned vegetables and calling it a homemade diet.
But the animals on these poor diets had bad coats, crapped nonstop piles of gray, smelly stools and had teeth that looked like the finger of Satan touched them and turned them varying shades of green and brown with inflamed red gums.
Our pets did not have this. I did not appreciate the text book "you're killing your pet. Feed this food I happen to sell" run around. Crazy.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, it kind of makes me laugh when vets use the salmonella scare tactic against raw diets.
Yes, salmonella is a risk. Salmonella lives everywhere.
Unless they have been living in lala land, they might remember commercial diets being recalled for salmonella recently....along with listeria, e-coli, melamine that killed THOUSANDS in 2007, and chunks of metal and plastic and parts of malfunctioning machinery in making those foods.

So the "salmonella in raw food is sooper skary" thing doesn't really worry me much anymore, especially since most vets fail to fairly mention the scores of food recalled lately for salmonella...and much worse, and come to terms that food can be recalled or tainted at any time, and that goes for animals AND humans alike.

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, yes, and yes!
We visited a vet briefly. Excellent medical doctor and was really impressed with our tribes coat, body condition and teeth. When asked what we feed, we said raw and before we could say another word the vet went into the teleprompter style speech about raw being bad and salmonella and OMG skary...
We asked why the vet complimented the pets we had there at the time before knowing their diet and they had no real good answer. Just this BS of "well, the problems don't always show immediately..."
Heheh...love catchin' people like that!

My vet was very complimentary of our kittens' coats and teeth (I brush 4-5 times/week and give the occasional gizzard). And thankfully no flack for the diet.

I do understand their reluctance to accept raw diets. I've seen some TERRIBLE versions of home prepared diets, from a scant amount of smelly chicken gone off with a buttload of vegetables to feeding breakfast cereals and canned vegetables and calling it a homemade diet.
I've even seen some people put their cats on VEGETARIAN DIETS...as though they were one of their vegan hippy friends. People that do not take the time to truly understand what is best for their pet(s) drive me crazy. On one hand...you do you. But it's something else entirely to not listen to advice from someone who's done the research.

But the animals on these poor diets had bad coats, crapped nonstop piles of gray, smelly stools and had teeth that looked like the finger of Satan touched them and turned them varying shades of green and brown with inflamed red gums.
Our pets did not have this. I did not appreciate the text book "you're killing your pet. Feed this food I happen to sell" run around. Crazy.
Yep. The proof is in the pudding as it were. Good coat, good teeth, good activity are all good signs of a healthy cat. But I need to change all that because you have a title courtesy of a mountain of school debt and you get a kickback from pushing the drugs (kibble) on your lobby floor? No thanks.

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, it kind of makes me laugh when vets use the salmonella scare tactic against raw diets.
Yes, salmonella is a risk. Salmonella lives everywhere.
Unless they have been living in lala land, they might remember commercial diets being recalled for salmonella recently....along with listeria, e-coli, melamine that killed THOUSANDS in 2007, and chunks of metal and plastic and parts of malfunctioning machinery in making those foods.

So the "salmonella in raw food is sooper skary" thing doesn't really worry me much anymore, especially since most vets fail to fairly mention the scores of food recalled lately for salmonella...and much worse, and come to terms that food can be recalled or tainted at any time, and that goes for animals AND humans alike.
Here's my thing with salmonella (or any other bacteria that exist on raw food): CATS AREN'T PEOPLE. Salmonella can harm or kill us, but a cat's digestion system is vastly different than ours, most importantly in how short it is. And you would think that this would be something that vets would understand!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's my thing with salmonella (or any other bacteria that exist on raw food): CATS AREN'T PEOPLE. Salmonella can harm or kill us, but a cat's digestion system is vastly different than ours, most importantly in how short it is. And you would think that this would be something that vets would understand!
Exactly. If I walked around on my hands and feet all day and then licked them every 3 hours I would probably contract something and die.

I also don’t have a physiological makeup that screams OBLIGATE CARNIVORE.

We are taught to be overly afraid of germs in this society and now we are transferring that fear to a species that has vastly different needs than us.