How did you get your kitty or kitties?

How did you acquire your kitty or kitties?

• Purchased from breeder of purebred cats

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Purchased from pet shop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kitty came to your door

• You found the kitty

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Friend or neighbor brought kitty to you

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Kitty came to your yard and stayed

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Feral kitty came to love and trust you

• Adopted from entity private rescue

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Adopted from individual "cat lady (or man)" foster home

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Adopted from government operated pound

• Inherited from friend or relative who died

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Acquired from friend or relative who had a cat and became allergic

• "Inherited" from friend or relative who had to give up cat because of age, illness or other reasons

• Kitty given to you as a gift

• Multiple ways

• Answered "Craigslist" or other ad for available kitty

• Total voters

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was curious to know. There's so many ways they come to you. Over time, I've adopted some from rescues or pounds, found one, and had a number brought to the house by a roommate.

How about you?

The poll allows multiple responses, and your particular vote on any choice is hidden from others unless you choose to say. There's a lot of choices; you're able to change or add a choice after you've voted.

Curious to know how we find our kitty love.
We have 5 now, one pb Quinn meezer from a breeder and the rest I took in from outside, all dumped kitties who became part of my outdoor colony. 2 are not touchable yet and may never be. Merlin and Zena became big luv bugs and are now huggable etc. after some work.

I have also adopted from local town shelters as well as a private rescue I volunteered with and another rescue. Years ago our first cat came from someone whose cat had kittens. It’s about half and half between outside dumped cats and shelters/ rescues but it feels like more from outside because the last three came from there.

If I count my whole colony, it makes the most from outside 2 of them died and couldn’t be saved and I helped numerous cats doing TNR as well who were not able to be inside, etc. and I was not able to take them in then etc.

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I voted for three different options. My first was found at my husbands work by his mom. She cared for her about a year and then had to give her up so I took her in. The second one I adopted from foster care. My third one was again found at my husbands work by my sister in law with his family passed away so she dropped him off at my house. I never thought I would have three cats at once but it was just meant to be ❤

Attachments

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From the Humane Society. I saw Lilith on their website and went to meet her. It was February 2014. They were running a special on cat adoptions for $20. When I got there, she was in a small room with 2 other cats. A boy who had been adopted and was waiting for his family to come get him and another female, I went into the room with some treats and toys. Lily and her "brother" were very outgoing from the beginning. They were happy to play and gets pets and treats. When the worker came in the rooom with me she pointed towards the third cat in the room who was off in a corner hiding under a chair and said I could ignore her because she's "not friendly". I knew that I would NOT be following that advice.

As the three of us played at the front of the room, I kept an eye on the little one in the corner. She kept inching her way closer. I talked to her softly and asked if she wanted some treats. I tossed some to her and she kept moving closer until all 3 of them were playing, getting pets and treats. The shy little girl was Midge. She soon was comfortable enough that she was eating from a dish of food that was next to me and she let me pet her while she ate. After a while of this I went back to the desk and the same worker who had brought me to the room was there. She asked how if I wanted to take Lilith. I told her I would take both of them. She was shocked. She said that none of the employees or volunteers had been able to bond with Midge and I must be special. I found out later that they had been there all of two weeks. I wasn't going to leave her there alone with people who thought she deserved to be ignored.

I went to pay and she said that are "patron pets" so they did not qualify for the $20 adoption fee. Nowhere on the flyer that was on the desk did it say that. Their adoption fee was $175 each. When I showed her the flyer she said she would do $175 for both. Fine. I just wanted them out of there. I paid, they were spayed the following day and then I picked them up. Lilith kept her name. It suits her. Midge became Sophie (chosen by my DD) and the rest is history.

Sophie was quiet and kind of timid for a while but boy did that change. Her purr-sonality came out with a bang. She's hilarious, sassy and so loving. Bringing her home was one of the best choices I've ever made. Her zoomies are legendary and are the reason why DD renamed her Sophiesaurus Rex. Lilith is the quiet, confident queen of the house and she's a total momma's girl. Sophie turned out to be the more outgoing of the two. She's far more likely to greet a visitor than Lily is. I knew for sure that DD's fiance is a good guy when he came to visit. He was in the kitchen getting some coffee and she jumped up on the chest freezer and started yelling. She was demanding pets and attention which he was happy to provide. Lily likes him too. I guess she decided that if he was OK with her sister, he was ok with her.

Animals are the best judges of character and cats IMO are the very best judges of all. I believe that cats are super psychic and they know us better than we know ourselves.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the worker came in the rooom with me she pointed towards the third cat in the room who was off in a corner hiding under a chair and said I could ignore her because she's "not friendly".
This is what they told me about my (now) black cat. He's the one that jumped onto my shoulder. He is the friendliest cat I've ever met (and I've met a lot). I don't listen to the shelter people about stuff like that.
-he's currently laying across my arms as I try to type this.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We adopted Toffee and Fudge from Celia Hammond, a brilliant cat charity and rescue centre owned by the former model of the same name. I always wanted to get a rescue since I'm not a fan of breeders.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only voted for my current pair. Phoebe came from a shelter in Melbourne (currently closed for surrenders because they're overwhelmed 😢) and Daisy from a Queensland RSPCA shelter - she had been at the local pound, and was sent to the shelter when nobody claimed her. I've had cats from other shelters, three dumped in our yard during my childhood, and one abandoned by our unprintable neighbours who moved out and left him.