How did you get your kitty or kitties?

How did you acquire your kitty or kitties?

• Purchased from breeder of purebred cats

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Purchased from pet shop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kitty came to your door

• You found the kitty

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Friend or neighbor brought kitty to you

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Kitty came to your yard and stayed

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Feral kitty came to love and trust you

• Adopted from entity private rescue

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Adopted from individual "cat lady (or man)" foster home

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Adopted from government operated pound

• Inherited from friend or relative who died

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Acquired from friend or relative who had a cat and became allergic

• "Inherited" from friend or relative who had to give up cat because of age, illness or other reasons

• Kitty given to you as a gift

• Multiple ways

• Answered "Craigslist" or other ad for available kitty

• Total voters

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was curious to know. There's so many ways they come to you. Over time, I've adopted some from rescues or pounds, found one, and had a number brought to the house by a roommate.

How about you?

The poll allows multiple responses, and your particular vote on any choice is hidden from others unless you choose to say. There's a lot of choices; you're able to change or add a choice after you've voted.

Curious to know how we find our kitty love.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I voted, for 3 separate scenarios, instead of using the "multiple" reason.
Was "gifted" one (rehomed from a good friend), local rescue for the 2nd and our youngest is purebred from ethical breeder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found at least one kitty, had a number brought to me, adopted from government and entity rescues, and answered a Craigslist ad.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was curious to know. There's so many ways they come to you. Over time, I've adopted some from rescues or pounds, found one, and had a number brought to the house by a roommate.

How about you?

The poll allows multiple responses, and your particular vote on any choice is hidden from others unless you choose to say. There's a lot of choices; you're able to change or add a choice after you've voted.

Curious to know how we find our kitty love.
I purchased my two boys from a TICA "Turkish Van " breeder, in Texas.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Four of mine--my late Circe, and Autumn, TV, and Domino all came from the same private rescue.

Cosette showed up at my house one frigid February night, sick and starving. She is now the sassy tortie of the house.

Jemmy and Leo were feral boys who I trapped, neutered, and kept. They don't show any interest in open doors to outside..

Rose94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was walking my kids to school one day and saw a lady on the side of the road looking into her engine she was still there on my way home so I asked if she needed help turns out there was a kitten stuck in her engine (took a 30 minute ride just hanging on for dear life) so after hours and half the neighborhood trying to get her out we finally got her and the lady called animal control and they were gonna take her but I just fell in love she was so calm in my arms once being rescued she was tiny so I had to bottle feed for the first week but she’s 14 months now and my best friend 🥰

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Over the years there have been a number of cats. Two came from private homes, one was a kitten brought to work looking for an adoption, two came from shelters, one was a kitten found outdoors and my last was my mother’s cat who came to live with me after she died,

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I voted for separate reasons as well.
I put "I found the kitty" but really my cousin found his pregnant mum.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We adopted all our cats except one pet quality purebred that we found in an ad before there was social media or Google as a search engine. His nose was considered deformed but we fell in love with his personality and temperament. :lovecat2:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My apt is in the back,no walkways in front of my porch so it's very quiet. So they show up and stay

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only answered for the current three. Otherwise I'd be checking them all.
The two orange females I fostered from a shelter when they were 10 days old. They were found in a bowl on the side of a snow covered hwy and brought to the shelter. I had them to foster within an hour. I put in for adoption and was approved. They turned 6 in March.
My black cat's owner died. 3 weeks later when the family was cleaning the house, they found the cat and took him to the shelter. He was there for about 6 months. No one wants a black cat. I opened his cage to see him and he jumped onto my shoulder and wouldn't let go. Had him for 4 years now.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willy, my first and only cat, showed up outside the back door of the house where I was staying 9 years ago. He definitely seemed abandoned, because he saw humans inside the house and approached the door on his own accord.

He was skin-and-bones, very starved and had a respiratory infection. He was very grateful for being rescued. Extremely friendly and affectionate.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
was
IMG_20190615_1644371.jpg

was living under garden shed. there was a smell... also all the bunnies and squirrels in the neighborhood were strangely absent that summer. we figured out he was there in oct and finally got him in a trap in dec. vet said he was barely past kittenhood if not a older kitten.

33496_1506536937594_3967968_n.jpg

pure bred maine coon and siberian. RIP Drommie (maine coone 12/14/2006- may 20th 2023)

P1130763.JPG

Rip sweet lynx point found behind a petco starving living off rats (who had been poisoned) and old kibble at deaths door when we brought him home. outlived doctors best expectations by 11 years or so. Found on 8/10/2012 unknown age but still a pretty light color to 12/10/2022
IMG_20160425_213815.jpg
drommie.jpg
erlking.jpg

found his momma preggers on doorstep. kept him found homes for everyone else. one kitten died in birth. Rip erlking aug 1996-2013 he was well loved.

PXL_20230704_034936485.jpg

current two babykats from rescue org that mostly has a foster network in oregon. dob approx 2/20/2023
PXL_20230607_232347855 (1).jpg

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Speck's story is a bit unusual. I helped my dad get some paperwork done for his Agent Orange related health issues. He gifted me with money that I did not want to take. He insisted. My Redman had just crossed the Bridge and DH wanted another red cat. I wanted one with spots. We looked at Bengals and they were gorgeous. However, my mom begged me to adopted and "save one's life." I went to a high kill shelter in another county and saw a spotted, orange kitten frowning down at me from his cage. The rest is history.

Daisy also came from a kill shelter. She showed up at my BIL's business and he called animal control. He paid the fee for us to adopt her. Again, the rest is history.

We had two separate cats (one feral, one semi-feral) have kittens in our neighborhood. Everyone assumed because we were "cat people" that they belonged to us. Anyway, the cats trusted us enough that they and all ten babies arrived at our doorstep. After the kittens were weaned, I became a professional cat trapper. :lol: The first cat I caught was a feral, Big Red, who now never leaves the general area of our carport but still won't let me touch him. The shelter here has now gained its "non-kill" status, so DH and I had to make the painful process of choosing which kittens to keep. (We fully intended to keep the moms, and that's a lot of cats. A lot of cats.) Lil Gray was an automatic choice because she was such a Mama's girl. (Ironically, Mama Marble did not want anything to do with her. Clover disappeared and Marble nursed ten kittens. I think she was done raising babies.) It was awful deciding which kittens to keep. The two boys looked like a Siamese and a Snowshoe, and though they were DSH, we thought their beauty would win them homes. We initially kept three. By the end of the week, I had talked so about poor Sally being so ugly that she wouldn't be adopted, so DH went and got her for me.

I know that all people don't base adoptions on looks, but I thought I would keep the ones with the least chances.

And bless you if you read my whole boring post. :nurse::angel:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Speck's story is a bit unusual. I helped my dad get some paperwork done for his Agent Orange related health issues. He gifted me with money that I did not want to take. He insisted. My Redman had just crossed the Bridge and DH wanted another red cat. I wanted one with spots. We looked at Bengals and they were gorgeous. However, my mom begged me to adopted and "save one's life." I went to a high kill shelter in another county and saw a spotted, orange kitten frowning down at me from his cage. The rest is history.

Daisy also came from a kill shelter. She showed up at my BIL's business and he called animal control. He paid the fee for us to adopt her. Again, the rest is history.

We had two separate cats (one feral, one semi-feral) have kittens in our neighborhood. Everyone assumed because we were "cat people" that they belonged to us. Anyway, the cats trusted us enough that they and all ten babies arrived at our doorstep. After the kittens were weaned, I became a professional cat trapper. :lol: The first cat I caught was a feral, Big Red, who now never leaves the general area of our carport but still won't let me touch him. The shelter here has now gained its "non-kill" status, so DH and I had to make the painful process of choosing which kittens to keep. (We fully intended to keep the moms, and that's a lot of cats. A lot of cats.) Lil Gray was an automatic choice because she was such a Mama's girl. (Ironically, Mama Marble did not want anything to do with her. Clover disappeared and Marble nursed ten kittens. I think she was done raising babies.) It was awful deciding which kittens to keep. The two boys looked like a Siamese and a Snowshoe, and though they were DSH, we thought their beauty would win them homes. We initially kept three. By the end of the week, I had talked so about poor Sally being so ugly that she wouldn't be adopted, so DH went and got her for me.

I know that all people don't base adoptions on looks, but I thought I would keep the ones with the least chances.

And bless you if you read my whole boring post. :nurse::angel:
That's wonderful. Did the shelter make him pay to take her back?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got all three of my cats from the same rescue. Remy and Maisie were at the same off-site location together and I adopted them together and Flora was with a foster family before I adopted her. My late cat Willie was a kitten of my great aunt and uncle's cat (they had a hobby farm). That cat was also the mother of two other cats we had, one was born in 1992, the other in 1999 (Willie was born in 2000 and likely the last litter her mother had).

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I got mine lots of different ways. One way you don't have in the poll is "born in my house". I had a little stray show up and invite herself in when she was already pregnant. She had 3 little furballs, and my plan was to keep one and find homes for the mama cat and other two kittens. You've heard about "best laid plans". 15 years later mama's been gone a couple of years but I still have 2 of the "kittens". Counting on my fingers, that means I found a home for one of the kittens.

Others came from the local humane society where I volunteered, from my friend who manages a feral colony, from my niece who does informal rescues, and from reputable breeders I know personally from cat shows.

Hazel06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Of our current cats, one came from the RSPCA, and one was a feral cat that chose me, and then all the others are her kids and two grand kids.
Oh, and then we have two (older) kittens that appeared on our doorstep with three others that we were able to find homes for.
Its funny how cats seem to know who is a safe person, I firmly believe some mother can couldn't feed her kittens, so left them with us; maybe one of our cats told her she could.