How did you come up with your cats name?

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our kitty, Wick, used to be called Mittens by her former owners. They had her until she was 11. My brother was catsitting for that family and they decided that they didn't want her anymore and paid him to keep her. The name "mittens" came from her white paws. She was named by a 5 year old. no offense to anyone, but my family has never been big on that type of name- too obvious and cutesy- so my brother renamed her. Here's what he wrote in his livejournal about naming her.

"I have named my cat. She will be named Ueki, after one of my favorite characters/rolemodels' middle name, as she embodies much of what I value in that character. Patience, the ability to remain pleasant and calm through adversity, blissful ignorance. Only complains about her food--yearns for the high life, too lazy to work for it--and things like being held upside down. And even then, just whining, no fighting. And if she must fight she wins, I'd wager. Anyway. She will be Ueki, but that is hard to pronounce, so in normal everyday practice I will call her Wick, and it will be cute and androgenous, much like my cat."

ETA: for those who don't know, the reason we're getting her is that my brother is fulfilling his life's dream and moving to Japan. So we're taking kitty, seeing as we've wanted a cat for ages anyway.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my boyfriend and I went to the Humane Society to pick out a cat, we already had it in mind that we would adopt two kitties, a boy and a girl, and name them Spike and Drucilla after characters on the television show Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. We had been told it was best to find cats close in age, and to have at least two cats because then they could keep each other company while we were both at work. When we got to the shelter, there weren't any brother/sister pairings (or older male/female pairings who had always lived together and shouldn't be separated), but there was this one tiny orange kitten who grabbed onto my arm and wouldn't let go. We thought, Okay, we'll take him home and name him Spike, and then we'll come back later and see if a little girl kitty has come in. (He was originally named Martini, which I quite liked but which didn't fit out Buffy-obsessive theme.
)

About six months later we returned in search of a second, female, kitty that we could name Drucilla. This time the only female cat available was a beautiful polydactyl whose description stated that she was good with small children; since we didn't have any small children and we knew a cat like her wouldn't be kept waiting for her forever-home for long, we took a pass on her (she would have made a lovely Drucilla, though). Instead, a scruffy stray caught our eye, and once again, I had a kitten who wouldn't let go of my arm. He'd obviously been a stray -- nasty coat and far too thin -- and it was clear he had decided to come home with us, so we made plans to adopt him in place of a female cat. When we got home, we brainstormed over another Buffy-themed name and settled on Oz (I was going for Rupert but I was out-voted). The name the shelter gave him was Russell, but I don't think it suited him.

As for nicknames ...

Spike is Spikie, Spike-a-doo, Spike-a-doodle, Spikels, and, quite frequently, The Orange Menace. He responds to Spike or Spikie, and for some reason, we usually call his name in a sing-song voice.

Oz is Ozzie, Ozmodear (Ozz-moh-dee-arrrrr), Ozmodeus, Ozalot, Ozling, Ozletov and Ozzle. He looks at you if you call him by name, but unlike Spike he won't come a-runnin'. We exist to amuse him, not the other way around.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people

Meir, I called after an Israeli friend of mine.

Tickle 'n' Patch I named after these two because They are spitting image of them. http://www.handsuppuppets.com/html/tpandf.htm

and I did call Swift,Sweep originally but that didn't suit him,so he had a swift of white fur going roung his ear so I called him swift.
Raffles was called Sooty but that didn't suit him either,he is a bit of a rogue so I called him Raffles after the tv show 'Raffles'

Oh Nicknames

Meir aka Mimi aka bloata(cos he's always eatin)

Patch aka Patchybells
Tickle aka Tickymunga

Swift aka Swiffy aka mini-mimi
Raffles aka Raffy

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we got Harley as a kitten last year, John just got his 1st Harley Davidson motorcyle - and Harley matched the personalitiy of a motorcyle when we got him - fast and loud
He would run all over the apartment and had the loudest meow and purr, fit perfectly. Plus, he had the attitude

When we got Davidson a month ago, it just fit ..... Harley & Davidson

I mostly call him Little One or Fluffy Butt
, he doesn't respond to anything yet... he's still baby!
But he's learning!

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girl is named hendrix. Yes after Jimi Hendrix. He is thebest guitarist ever.
I rescued her from the vet clinic I worked at and thought she was a boy. Hendrix just stuck after I found out she was a she.

My new addition to my family Joplin. He is a boy 8 weeks old. Just a pure love. Yes I am a fan of Janis Joplin.

In two years I will get another girl named Marley. Yes after bob!

Im an oldies music girl. Ha Im 19 btw.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pandora - a cat that I had years ago, named because she was so curious.
Whiskers - my sweet Whiskers was named by my son.
Loki - my father is Swedish, and Loki is the Scandanavian god of mischief - definitely fits! He's into everything and super nosy! His nicknames are Babycakes, Honey, Lolo and LokiPo.
Jacob - named by my daughter Erica. She likes "J" names - her chinchilla is named Joey. Jacob also goes by Jakey, JJ and Jacob Jingleheimer! If you start singing the "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" song, he comes running - he loves it because it has his name in it!

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the newest addition to our family is named Nala...My kids thought
of it because they watched the Lion King and they liked the name
and it stuck with us

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I always thought Molly was a pretty name and I wanted to name a pet that, and when I saw my baby girl I knew it totally fit. Then Polly came because my mom and I were talking about how Polly has a little extra toe and the word for that is "polydactyl" which I thought was super cool, so then we decided to call her "Polly."

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Willow - she was silky soft and was the same shade of the fuzzy leaves of the Pussy Willow tree in the spring. If I'd known her true temperment I'd have pushed for Attila, lol

Buffy - spent a month trying to find the perfect name, until my family forced me to pick Buffy (after all, we already have a Willow, lol [BtVS thing]). Turns out it was the perfect name, she fits it to a T, lol

Molly - went 2 months while we searched for the perfect name without any success. Then one night "Molly" popped out of my sister's mouth and we both knew it was THE ONE. And therefore, she's been "Molly" ever since, lol

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Velvet- she got her name on the way home from the animal shelter. The song "black velvet" came on the radio- and it was a perfect fit!

Abilene- she got her name along with her sisters- i wanted to give all of them very southern names...we wound up with Abilene, Eva, Lace, Satin, and Drama (drama queen...lol a southern name didn't do her justice
- she got a great home with my sister, and the other girls were all adopted into wonderful homes except Satin...she passed away from feline herpes..
)

Jasmine- I adopted jasmine as an adult cat, and that was the make her previous owners had given her...it fits her too- she's as pretty as a flower

Isabella- Bella means beautiful, and my little Isabella is my little princess..she is one of the most gorgeous kitties i've ever laid eyes on...I thought about naming her Lola when i adopted her, but Isabella just fit her- she's a little princess

shadowsoul

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oscar, because:

1. It is the only name he responds to back when he was a kitten
2. He has such a bad boy attitude, I feel it suits him
3. Folks here say Oscar is no name for pet, but what the hey, he is soo handsome girls fall for him, so he deserves a human name

Shadowsoul

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rocket because he was only 10 weeks old when we got him and he used to run from one end of the room to another.

Mica means "pretty fruit" in Japanese according to my husband. He liked her name and I agreed because I loved the Yosmite's girl Mika.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is named Tuah - which means Luck in malay. He was abandoned at my vets' - I called him Tuah because I was lucky to find him and he was lucky to find me.

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, this thread sounds like fun!

Willie was named because I kept calling him a silliewillie when I first got him home. So then, Willie stuck. My brother and sisterinlaw wanted to call him Chicken. oh, and it was such a "HARD" decision for Willie or Chicken. LOL

Tina(I don't talk about him much because I get all sad) who is now resting over the rainbow bridge, was named because when we first got hikm, we named him Tiny, but then he got too big for his name! It's actually pronounced (Tie-na)

Fuzz, welkl shes just a big fuzzball!

romeoslover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cleo was named after a real person. I work in the Social Service field. Cleo is a very attractive young woman whom I worked with about 20 years ago. My cat is beautiful too.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duke was named by my Grandmother, she thought he looked like a Duke (whatever a Duke looks like)
Sibohan is Old Irish meaning "God is gracious" She was injured, alone and found by somone and bought to the SPCA. SHe was gods little gift to me so god was gracious in giving her to me.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...
Zoey - after a sesame street character. My daughter was 2 and wanted to name her big bird.
We talked her out of that one and compromised on another SS character.
Peanut and Snickers - Food!

Pebbles - We voted and originally wanted to name her Skittles (another food), but Pebbles won. Now we all say it should have been Skittles. Too late to change it now. She's messed up enough emotionally already.

Chance - little foster man already had his name.

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well Carl came with his name, but he was originally Coral (for Coral Springs where they found him--er, her). They thought he was a she, and after finding his man-parts, they just started calling him Carl so as not to confuse him.

We kept it b/c it fits him--he is just a Carl. Hubby gets endless delight in coming home and saying, "Good to see you CARL" from Billy Madison.
Cracks him up every time.