How Did You Choose A Name For Your Cat?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lilith had the name at the shelter. I like it so it stayed. She's a diva in every sense of the word so she's often called Little Queen.

Sophie- I was only looking to get one cat when I went to the shelter but ended up taking both sisters after the worker there dismissed her as "unfriendly" and told me I could ignore her. She was not unfriendly and she came home with us. DD was away at school and I called her to tell her that I had gotten 2 cats. She suggested Sophie and we went with it. When she goes on a tear during a bout of the zoomies, she becomes her alter ego- Sophiesaurus. :lol:

Irunwithscissors

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sooo... We have a new kitten clan. All different colors. No forever names yet, but so far we're calling the grey tabby Rocket bc it's a mover. The smaller orange is Crybaby bc geez does that one meow. The large orange on is Big Boy. The white one is squeak and my little cream/lynx point looking thing has nothing yet lol Mom is a grey tabby named Stormy. Dad is a gorgeous orange tabby deadbeat dad.

Attachments

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I got my cat, the shelter (or her previous owner?) had named her "Milly". First, I knew that spelling had to go! For some reason, I liked the spelling "Millie" much better, and figured I'd go with that if I couldn't think of anything else. I tried to come up with something fitting, but just couldn't. Finally, my friend (whose family's naming skills are somewhat infamous; Mr. Kitty and Kitty X are examples of their work) looked online for name derivatives of Millie, and after I soundly rejected Mildred and Millicent, Amelia came up. I knew it was perfect. I still use Millie as a nickname, too.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats are named for their personalities or idiosyncrasies. For example:
Burdock is a clinger; a lap cat.
Prancer is a little queen bee; she doesn't walk, she prances
Digger would stop, sit, and dig five or six times between our fence and back door; plus, when she would do her business in my wife's flower beds, she would excavate a hole large enough to bury a small child
Stretch is long and lean, and in crossing a room, will stop and stretch every few fee
And Bashful? She took the longest time before she would let me touch or pet her.
You see, all of these were feral cats that we socialized, and then brought inside

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I have two sons who each insisted on naming a cat. Raja is named for an early winner of drag race and Mizu is named for a cosplayer whose named we shortened to the Japanese word for water.

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey how long did it take our mummy to name us. Not long as she had names sorted out after first time of visiting us. You're name Zeus as you were destined to be the boss was picked as Zeus reason being he is the ruler of all mankind. Mine Luther came to mummy as soon as she chose me
image.jpg

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried to name my first few cats but they all have changed them. My first 2 were angel and demon. Demon moved out with my ex and kept his name. Angel has been with me 12 years. Mostly she is The Girl because she is the only one. At the vet she is Princess. when people ask i say her name is Princess B****. I also call her Lady often.
20170713_183324.jpg
George has kept his name because he knows he is George. When he was born he got out of the cage and crawled all the way around it and back into some boxes. I had to move everything to get to him and he was just a few minutes old. As i picked him up to get him back to his mom i said "boy aren't you curious!" and i just started calling him George. I didn't actually expect to keep him at the time. But i can say George from anywhere in the house and he shows up. He knows that's him. I also call him Georgia Peach, Peaches and Peaches and Cream, and Leech and Leech Monster. Sometimes i even call him STOP MEOWING! lol
20150525_202723.jpg
Ninja was Nibbler after the little alien on futurama. I mostly called him Kitten because he was the kitten. As he got bigger we realized how crazy and athletic he was. more then any of our others. He actually jumps half way up the walls and kicks off and shoots down the hall ways. Which is why I started calling him Ninja Ki-Tan (kee tan). He is a crazy cat. He somehow gets on our roof and our neighbors roofs. he can jump higher then any of the other cats. and if you see him in the kitchen and you go to the bathroom at the other end of the house. Which there is one hall way to get there. you get in you close the door and turn around and he is on the counter. You never see him pass you in the hall or bedroom and he was not there when you walked in. He's a Ninja i swear!
20151208_213350.jpg
Theo came to us as Theodore. I call him T-O almost all the time. and Old man. he barely hears me anyways but that's ok. 20180106_181526.jpg
years ago we had a cat named Maybe. that was one of my favorite names. we spent so much time saying maybe we should call her this or that, that she ended up being Maybe.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always loved black cats and when I got this one I was taking French in collage. I named her Noir. But no one could every pronounce it correctly so it quickly changed to Nora. Here we are 16 years later and I call her Nosey or Nori most of the time.

IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_5732.JPG
IMG_20140929_142406.jpg
IMG_20140929_205910.jpg

Attachments