How Did You Choose A Name For Your Cat?

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I initially wanted to get a girl, but this little guy stole my heart on the spot so we took him home. I had no boy names prepared, so I was asking friends and family what they think would be a good name.

This was the picture I sent to them:

IMG_20180507_163356.jpg

When I sent it to my cousin he told me that the kitten reminded him of Karl Marx :D and so it was decided that he'll be called Marx :blush:

How did you choose your babys' names? :)

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Marx is so sweet!
I was never intending to get ginger cats so I hadn't had any "appropriate" names set out for them (originally I liked Cleo and Muffin or Cleo and Figaro for cats). When I saw them, however, it was love at first sight! I decided to name them Toffee and Fudge due to the colour of their fur and their personalities.

3sacrowd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I got Charli, I was told she was a boy. She had strong stripes along her spine that looked like a train track to me so I named "him" Choo-choo Charlie. By the time we found out he was a she, I was already used to Charlie so I just changed to spelling to look more feminine. It doesn't really matter because I usually call her Char-char or yelly cat since she yells at me so much.

A friend of mine just got a cat named Buscuit, which I think is a cute name. I may steal it for a future cat.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The woman who found Charlie thought he was a she. She called "her" Annie, like the Little Orphan, and I chose the name Mabel, because I'm a silent film buff. Mabel became Charlie at the first vet visit :flail:

Charlie is named after Chaplin, of course :)

Selene's shelter name was Slate, and I knew I wanted something prettier. Her coloring is like the Moon's, so I named her after the ancient Greek personification of it.

GhostieCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of our cats have kind of dumb or uninteresting stories about their name. Except for our late white kitten Ghost. I knew I wanted a white cat. They were always so majestic and beautiful... So I saw on Facebook that the local shelter had a little white kitten for adoption. Naturally I was all over that. I immediately fell in love when she snuggled against my fiance and I.

I knew then that I had to have her. She chose us. Immediately we fell in love with her.

Fast forward to getting her home, we isolated her to the master bed and bath. We wanted to introduce her to her brother and sister slowly. So I brought her in in her carry bag and she settled in. I left the room to grab some toys and treats and came back. Surprise! I couldn't find the dang cat. I immediately panicked thinking she had gotten out of our bedroom. I probably spent twenty minutes trying to find her, and so I headed back toward the bedroom and....

She had been spooking on me the whole time. Probably watching me run around looking for her the whole time.

She continued to do this until she got terminally sick and had to be put down. She was somehow able to hide in plain sight.

So my little spooky baby came to be. I still swear I see her out of the corner of my eye sometimes. I know she's lurking here still, watching out for me.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
upload_2018-7-26_9-35-49.jpeg [URL='https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.catster.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F06%2F20140527-catster-sailor-moon-luna-artemis-diana-2.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.catster.com%2Fthe-scoop%2Fsailor-moon-japanese-manga-anime-cats-luna-artemis-hulu&docid=BOKeUNCZEQlaIM&tbnid=DJRpDcdKILmDaM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjw8pj28LzcAhUGRa0KHf9vBSkQMwiwASgRMBE..i&w=600&h=400&bih=963&biw=1920&q=luna%20and%20artemis&ved=0ahUKEwjw8pj28LzcAhUGRa0KHf9vBSkQMwiwASgRMBE&iact=mrc&uact=8']upload_2018-7-26_9-36-1.jpeg [/URL]

I always knew I wanted a black cat and a white cat so I could name them Luna and Artemis after the characters in Sailor Moon. If I really wanted to complete the picture I would get a grey cat and name her Diana, but I really can't get any more cats at least right now. So just the two will have to do.

Artemis was originally named Winey, I'm assuming because he talks so much. But obviously I didn't keep that name.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...zcAhUGRa0KHf9vBSkQMwifASgAMAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View attachment 244483View attachment 244484

I always knew I wanted a black cat and a white cat so I could name them Luna and Artemis after the characters in Sailor Moon. If I really wanted to complete the picture I would get a grey cat and name her Diana, but I really can't get any more cats at least right now. So just the two will have to do.

Artemis was originally named Winey, I'm assuming because he talks so much. But obviously I didn't keep that name.
Oh, I love that! I actually named a black kitten I had when I was little Luna... Turned out "she" was a he in the end, so we changed it to Peter :D

Crazy8catlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
first of all omg MARX IS SO ADORABLE!!!
My cats were named by their appearances.
Heffy is a tux.
Toes is also tux a but he has white toes.
Murphy was named after the guy in z nation (my mom named him I guess she liked Murphy lol)
piglet was a fat kitten.
rocket was a fast runner...
brown cat is brown
Famas.... we Famas was named after a COD gun...
Taz the spaz.... well he is a spaz. lol

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gizmo was named after the cute little mogwai in the movie Gremlins. I had watched it a month and a half before I adopted Giz (who the shelter had named Stan) and I knew it was a top contender for a name. Luckily he definitely ended up living up to his name, he’s made it difficult to follow the rules to ensure he doesn’t turn into a gremlin!

As for Stevie, her name was initially Luna which I’m not the biggest fan of personally. So I went with naming her after my favorite hockey player of all time and I can’t say she lives up to her namesake but I still think the name suits her in her own way.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Some quick background information:
I was really into Harry Potter in the past, and my favourite character was Snape. So, naturally, my first "pet cat" had a name based off of that... I always thought that if Snape was a cat, he'd have a name like "Snake".

Now onto the story:

Then, one day, we found five little kittens in the shed, weak from the cold. One had passed already. It was September, and we figured the kittens were born on August 28th. The one that died first we named Ash, since ashes are a symbol of endings. There were two ginger tabbies, which were promptly named Ruby and Dawn after their orange fur. The one kitten that we revived with a blanket (after realizing it wasn't dead) we named Lucky.

The fifth kitten was the strongest. She was a grey tabby, darker than the others and had a fighting spirit. She meowed for her mother and squirmed even though she was probably near the brink of death. Her name quickly became Snake.

Sadly, Snake turned out to be the only survivor. Raini, her mother, took Snake to an old fortress to raise her. Eventually, they returned to the shed.
rsz_dscf9512.jpg

HUNT1926.JPG

HUNT0670.JPG

(Looking back, she was one weird looking kitten!)

Now, Snake's kittens:

Suki: well, I was reading my French cat book, and it had name suggestions, and it was a choice between Savannah and Suki. Suki was cuter to me and suited her better, so Suki it was! Also, later I learned that Suki means "to like or to love something". And we definitely love our Suki.
Willy: We just had to name one kitten after Willy Wonka
Robin and Raven: Named after the Teen Titans characters
Phoenix: He was bright orange, hence the name of a fiery bird

Crazy8catlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gizmo was named after the cute little mogwai in the movie Gremlins. I had watched it a month and a half before I adopted Giz (who the shelter had named Stan) and I knew it was a top contender for a name. Luckily he definitely ended up living up to his name, he’s made it difficult to follow the rules to ensure he doesn’t turn into a gremlin!

As for Stevie, her name was initially Luna which I’m not the biggest fan of personally. So I went with naming her after my favorite hockey player of all time and I can’t say she lives up to her namesake but I still think the name suits her in her own way.
I had a Gizmo too. Also named after the movie lol

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I only named Zephyr and Froggy. Everyone else had names already.

Zephyr got his name because he was energetic and fast and it seemed to suit him. It means the West Wind or a breeze.

Froggy got his name because his neck puffs in and out like a frog when he breathes.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Years ago, someone dumped a cat in my parents’ neighborhood. She had a litter of kittens, and when people tried to catch her and the kittens, she kept moving them so someone named her Mayflower after the moving company. The kittens disappeared, but Mayflower hung around until my dad caught her and had her spayed. He released her because they already had an indoor cat who went berserk every time she saw Mayfe, but he and my mom fed her and Dad made her a lined cubbyhole next to the house. I adopted her and made her an indoor-only cat and kept the name Mayflower. She was an absolute sweetheart, a stunning long-haired orange girl who lived to be about 18.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I even chose my cats, I was narrowing down a list of names I had in mind. One name pairing I was considering was Dewey and Loc since I work at a library and it would have been for the Dewey Decimal System and the Library of Congress (LOC) classification. Another combination was Remy or Toulouse and Minuet "Minnie" since they were kinda French sounding.
When I started the cat search, I planned to adopt a mother/daughter pair and name them Gidget and Maisie. They ended up getting adopted before I could visit them.
When I found Magnolia and Sammie though, I adopted them and changed their names to Maisie and Remy. I figured it would have been easier for Maisie to learn her new name if it sounded similar (because she was also called Maggie) and I figured Remy was similar enough to Sammie.

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rupaul's Drag Race season 10 was showing. There was a contestant I really liked named Aquaria. Few weeks later i caught my now-cat in the drain and took her home. Vet estimated her to be around 2-3 months old. I traced back when she would have been born and realized it was around January or February. Which would make her an Aquarius. I went back and forth on a few names and didn't really know what to call her but in the end Aquaria stuck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your two guys are absolutely stunning! :lovecat2: Are they main coons?
Thank you. I dont know the actual background. They are mixed. The former owner said they were a russian blue cross. Experts on this site say they have strong norwegian forest cats traits.

We have had cats most of our lives, but ive never had cats with this size and their features.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nightfury - He looked like the dragon from how to train your dragon as a baby. My Mom said, she couldn't name a cat Toothless and played around with names for three months. Tried Coal for a few days but didn't like it so she settled on Nightfury, frequently Fury.

Link - I was playing with names and said Lynx out loud. Someone nearby thought I said Link and said that was a good name. Thought it over and I've always loved the Zelda games and it seemed to fit him.

Rocket - We thought she was a he first of all. I thought she looked like a little raccoon and love the Guardian of Galaxy movies. So her full name is actually Rocket the Raccoon, never to be shortened to Rocky. We didn't find out she was a she for a good month and the name just fit her so it stuck.