How Did My Baby Get Lymphoma?

nycfosterqueen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. Almost two months after I lost my beloved boy, I am left with my questions. He had had digestive issues since around December, and I had taken him to the vet many times regarding this (ultrasound, antibiotics, prescription food, steroids). We were treating for IBD, and he seemed to be responding well to steroids and a prescription diet. However, he basically took a steep and sudden turn for the worst on April 16th when I noticed in the morning that his breathing was extremely labored. The vet took an x-ray of him at an emergency appointment, and low and behold his tiny body was filled with cancer. She told me it was likely lymphoma because it started off in the GI tract, or it could have been carcinomatosis. He was not going to make it through the night, so I had a compassionate home vet come to my home after I ordered him a steak dinner to help him cross the bridge :(. Anyway, the vet assures me that I could not have known or prevented this or caused it. We were treating him for IBD but that even if we knew it was lymphoma in December, we could not have stopped it (at most, slowed it down). But after doing some googling online to answer some of my lingering questions, I am seeing that the leading causes of lymphoma are FIV and FELV. My kitty did not have either. He was just shy of his 10th birthday. What else would cause a healthy well-cared-for cat to get such a horrible disease? Thank you and I hope I didn't bum you out with my post. <3

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI!
Gosh I'm so very sorry!

I've been wondering something of the same thing, and @1bruce1 is asking, as probably are a lot of people - what is going on with so much bad health and fatal illnesses?

Food additives and/or bad ingredients, questionable water quality, environmental/air pollution, - genetics?

Are our cats as a species actually somehow getting inbred to enough of a degree that it's impacting their wellbeing?

I just heard from a neighbor that his kitty, although I don't know what food(s) he's been getting or his age but he's taken care of as a family member, has just been diagnosed as having something neurological. He can't pee, and hasn't pooped for a day and a half.

It just doesn't make sense.

At. All.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Almost two months after I lost my beloved boy, I am left with my questions. He had had digestive issues since around December, and I had taken him to the vet many times regarding this (ultrasound, antibiotics, prescription food, steroids). We were treating for IBD, and he seemed to be responding well to steroids and a prescription diet. However, he basically took a steep and sudden turn for the worst on April 16th when I noticed in the morning that his breathing was extremely labored. The vet took an x-ray of him at an emergency appointment, and low and behold his tiny body was filled with cancer. She told me it was likely lymphoma because it started off in the GI tract, or it could have been carcinomatosis. He was not going to make it through the night, so I had a compassionate home vet come to my home after I ordered him a steak dinner to help him cross the bridge :(. Anyway, the vet assures me that I could not have known or prevented this or caused it. We were treating him for IBD but that even if we knew it was lymphoma in December, we could not have stopped it (at most, slowed it down). But after doing some googling online to answer some of my lingering questions, I am seeing that the leading causes of lymphoma are FIV and FELV. My kitty did not have either. He was just shy of his 10th birthday. What else would cause a healthy well-cared-for cat to get such a horrible disease? Thank you and I hope I didn't bum you out with my post. <3
:alright::grouphug:
Ask 100 people and you'll get 100 answers, which is so discouraging. Some blame vaccines, some blame food, some blame early spaying, some blame genetics, some blame environmental factors, some blame all of the above, some blame all of the above MINUS ONE thing, etc...

I all those things and none of those things, which translates to I wish I knew. I'm almost positive one of ours will develop it as he's had IBD stuff for 5 years now and has asthma on top of it....also FIV and FeLV negative.
The only way we would "know" immediately is if we did X-rays and all kinds of tests on our cats daily. No one would do that!
One of my very best friends had a dog, age 14, start acting off. X-rays showed everything was normal. She was put on medicine that didn't seem to help her symptoms and 2 weeks after the initial X-ray the dog suddenly had labored, gasping-for-air breathing. They took her to the ER vet and did another X-ray, in 2 weeks time a tumor the size of a large tennis ball had formed on her lungs! Just that fast. It's scary. (This dog had been sedated to calm her down and upon seeing the X-rays, they opted to help her move on.)
It's impossible not to wonder what happened, how did it happen, what could I have done, and play all sorts of "What if" games until you go crazy. Be informed and consider this an opportunity to learn and perhaps help others if you can.
:hangin::grouphug2:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father died of primary liver cancer. The key word in that sentence is "primary." It means the cancer was not secondary to (caused by) something like hepatitis or cirrhosis (and I resigned from my church after my then minister, a recovering alcoholic, insisted against all evidence that my dad must have been a secret alcoholic or he wouldn't have gotten liver cancer).

Cancer happens, and we don't always know why. Researchers come up with new causes (or possible causes) all the time, but there's no way to know all of them. Cancer is the body betraying itself; it's a mutation in some cells that causes them to try to live forever, spread, and grab all the resources for themselves. Yes, there are some things that are known to cause or provoke these mutations, but we don't know all of them (I suspect we can't know all of them) and they don't always need external provocation.

The human mind has a natural tendency to respond to tragedy by saying "What did I do wrong?" because if we can just figure out what we did wrong and never do it again this particular tragedy will never happen again. Sometimes it works, which is why the tendency has survived, but it only works when the question has an answer. I don't think you did anything wrong. I think there was no way to prevent this particular tragedy (certainly that's what your vet thinks), and I'm very sorry it happened to you and yours. The important thing now is to get on with the hard work of grieving for your beloved fur baby. Please see this thread: Grieving. You may find it helpful. And please be aware that everyone here is on your side; we'll be here for you any time you need a shoulder to cry on, for as long as you need shoulders to cry on.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :grouphug2: :alright: :sniffle: We share your grief.

Margret

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father died of primary liver cancer. The key word in that sentence is "primary." It means the cancer was not secondary to (caused by) something like hepatitis or cirrhosis (and I resigned from my church after my then minister, a recovering alcoholic, insisted against all evidence that my dad must have been a secret alcoholic or he wouldn't have gotten liver cancer).

Cancer happens, and we don't always know why. Researchers come up with new causes (or possible causes) all the time, but there's no way to know all of them. Cancer is the body betraying itself; it's a mutation in some cells that causes them to try to live forever, spread, and grab all the resources for themselves. Yes, there are some things that are known to cause or provoke these mutations, but we don't know all of them (I suspect we can't know all of them) and they don't always need external provocation.

The human mind has a natural tendency to respond to tragedy by saying "What did I do wrong?" because if we can just figure out what we did wrong and never do it again this particular tragedy will never happen again. Sometimes it works, which is why the tendency has survived, but it only works when the question has an answer. I don't think you did anything wrong. I think there was no way to prevent this particular tragedy (certainly that's what your vet thinks), and I'm very sorry it happened to you and yours. The important thing now is to get on with the hard work of grieving for your beloved fur baby. Please see this thread: Grieving. You may find it helpful. And please be aware that everyone here is on your side; we'll be here for you any time you need a shoulder to cry on, for as long as you need shoulders to cry on.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :grouphug2: :alright: :sniffle: We share your grief.

Margret
:yeah::rock:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are all so great. Thank you for your kind words❤. I have followed this site for a while without a username and have gained a lot of knowledge from all of you. Thanks again fellow kitty parents !
I second this. I've learned so much here, so much good information and support and little to none of that attitude that a new cat owner is an idiot that doesn't deserve the time of the cat-owning veterans. =)

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I too lost my baby to lymphoma 3 weeks ago. Since then I have been reading a lot about cat (and dog) cancer and some non-FIV/FELV causes are:

1. Commercial cat food - chemical additives and poor quality ingredients as Furballsmom Furballsmom mentioned. An anti-cancer diet excludes commercial pet food and requires home cooked meals of fresh, wholesome food, and steamed vegetables.
2. Exposure to toxic flea preparations and/or multiple medications.
3. Stress. Stress depletes cancer fighting vitamins like Vitamin C and interferes with digestion and the nervous system, weakening the body.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Bruce probably exaggerated with the 100 different causes comment, but he's right. You have to do a lot of research to find out which possible cause makes sense for a cat who went through what yours did. Even then, you might still be confused. Guilt, of course, is a natural part of the grieving process and very hard to get past even if you do figure out what happened.

Tabbytastic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear this. I lost my cat to severe ibd/possible lymphoma and chronic pancreatitis in March and he was just 8 and a half years old. I too questioned how such a loved, well looked after and healthy young cat could develop such an awful disease. My vet said to me that both ibd and lymphoma are conditions that can affect animals (and people in fact) of any age, and are not 'old age' diseases. There is no rhyme or reason as to why some cats would develop this condition and others would not and that it was certainly nothing I had done or not done.

However, from time to time, my mind does wonder and I begin to believe that perhaps it was the food I gave him that did this and then on other days I think it must have been genetics. I guess this is only natural when trying to find answers as to why such a thing happened to your loved one but, as of yet, there are no definite answers.

I hope you begin to feel better about things soon. You are in my thoughts. X

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bruce probably exaggerated with the 100 different causes comment, but he's right. You have to do a lot of research to find out which possible cause makes sense for a cat who went through what yours did. Even then, you might still be confused. Guilt, of course, is a natural part of the grieving process and very hard to get past even if you do figure out what happened.
No exaggeration.
For every cause we know about now, I figure there are 50 we have yet to discover.
Remember doctors in the '50's in cigarette ads? Look how far we've come. I feel the same way about pet care; in another 50 years we will look back and think "the HELL was I thinking" but the knowledge isn't there yet...

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear this. I lost my cat to severe ibd/possible lymphoma and chronic pancreatitis in March and he was just 8 and a half years old. I too questioned how such a loved, well looked after and healthy young cat could develop such an awful disease. My vet said to me that both ibd and lymphoma are conditions that can affect animals (and people in fact) of any age, and are not 'old age' diseases. There is no rhyme or reason as to why some cats would develop this condition and others would not and that it was certainly nothing I had done or not done.

However, from time to time, my mind does wonder and I begin to believe that perhaps it was the food I gave him that did this and then on other days I think it must have been genetics. I guess this is only natural when trying to find answers as to why such a thing happened to your loved one but, as of yet, there are no definite answers.

I hope you begin to feel better about things soon. You are in my thoughts. X
:alright::grouphug:

Even with the ones we've lost in their teens/early 20's, that nagging "what could I have done" thought rears it's ugly head. All you can do, now, is read, research, talk to people in the know and learn, not to beat yourself up of course but to say "in the future I will question....(insert thing)".
They're excellent teachers. We can be excellent students too. :hugs:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
No kidding Bruce. My last cat was 19.5 and I still think it was my fault she didn't live to age 20.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lymphoma also occurs in humans. I knew of a case several decades in the past. A young man in his early twenties. He was treated with chemotherapy and radiation. After about four or five months treatment, he was declared free of detectable tumors. He has gone on to live a normal life.

With human lymphoma, there is no known cause.

I suspect that the feline version progresses faster than the human. But cats are also much smaller than humans. By a factor of at least ten.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. It hurts when we loose a loved one. I think its only human nature that we want to know the reason why. But i think most of the time we will never know. I truly think genetics play a big part in why.
I am sorry it is so hard! :grouphug: hugs

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No kidding Bruce. My last cat was 19.5 and I still think it was my fault she didn't live to age 20.
I'm so sorry :alright: But 19.5 is an amazing age. I'm sure your knowledge and love and care had her see that age!
One of my special dogs with a lot of aptitude died at a few years old from cancer. I was horrified and this dogs breeder made the comment that cancer is rampant, and had we not done what we'd done he may have not lived to see one year old. That kind of stuck with me. Maybe he didn't live to see old age, but I hope that what we did at least allowed him a few more good years of happy times..

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lymphoma also occurs in humans. I knew of a case several decades in the past. A young man in his early twenties. He was treated with chemotherapy and radiation. After about four or five months treatment, he was declared free of detectable tumors. He has gone on to live a normal life.

With human lymphoma, there is no known cause.

I suspect that the feline version progresses faster than the human. But cats are also much smaller than humans. By a factor of at least ten.
And cats can't go to the doctor and say "I have this weird pain in my side..."
Cats are amazing, but they're so infuriating because they don't show pain until it's really bad. Our vet once told us that once a cat actually SHOWS signs of being ill, in many cases it's too late depending on what they have and it makes owners that care feel like a pile of dung for not noticing sooner.
They hide illness so well. Our dogs hide illness well, but they're complete babies compared to our cats.
Some days I think "I so wish you could talk", when they feel off color or something is going on and I need to know WHAT HURTS...
Then, there are days I'm clipping toe nails and combing unhappy cats and hauling to the vets while they scream in pseudo-agony on the car ride and I think "....not today. Learn to talk, but don't do it today" =D

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Being an indoor-only cat her entire life obviously helped, but I had another cat die at age 12. I am sure it has a lot to do with her DNA. All three of my previous cats died of CRF.