How Did My Baby Get Lymphoma?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being an indoor-only cat her entire life obviously helped, but I had another cat die at age 12. I am sure it has a lot to do with her DNA. All three of my previous cats died of CRF.
Of the kittens we had from the "old stray" I mentioned, one of them died of renal failure, one died from who knows what (she was given hospice type care. She was healthy, but "wound down" so to speak, and calmly fell asleep and died in that sleep in front of a fire place one night we were snowed in. What a way to go....) and another struggled with a massive tumor on his neck/side. When the tumor appeared he was about 17 years old. Removing it was out of the question due to his age and the fact carriers made him panic. I've seen cats panic in carries and he took the cake.
Sometimes aggressive treatment makes sense. When prognosis is good and they're young enough and able enough to handle the treatment, I say go for it...but when they're elderly, frail and aggressive treatment has more potential terrible risks than help, it can be hell accepting that.
I think you did all you could, @Daisy6. You obviously care deeply. Don't let a potential 6 months of lost time take over 19.5 years of love and happiness.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IBD has the potential to progress to lymphoma, so that’s most likely what it was. In your cat’s case, it was clearly not related to FIV OR FeLV.

Please don’t beat yourself up over it, it will not change anything beyond making you miserable. Why did it happen to your cat? Who knows? Was it anything you did? Probably not. You can’t keep all cancer away with a good diet and “clean living.” Those things are beyond our control.

Remember the good times you had with your kitty. Sending you lots of comforting hugs.