How can I teach kittie to not jump from heights?

cristina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8-weeks kittie seems to enjoy the breeze of the outdoors. I live in a 3rd floor & I feel horrible keeping her prisioner indoors all the time. When I return from work she squeezes under my legs and runs for the hallway which has a balcony too. Can I make sure/teach her in any way so she can go out to the balcony & not run to jump over, just hang around - even with me around?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not really, cats by nature are very curious. She would find a way to get down and go roam. Cats unless born in the wild and kept there are not devistated by being indoors. Right now she is curious and wants to know what else is out there. If you have room, you could build a small enclosure so she could go bask in the sun.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Please be very careful with her. The third floor is actually the most dangerous height for cats to fall off.

Can you try and make her an enclosure of even one of the enclosed window shelves? That way she would still be safely indoors and enjoy the sun and the scents of the outdoors.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to leash train her. Then you can give enough
leadway to enjoy the fresh air without you having to worry about her falling off the balcony. Of course you would need to attach one end of the leash to some thing very sturdy.
Good luck

pnut

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem, but we live on the 9th floor!
We are thinking about lining the balcony with some sort of fencing that he cannot get through and NEVER letting him out alone. Good luck!