How can I get my elderly cat to like his pine pellets box? Has chronic constipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd take him today but can't because my wheelchair bus requires two days notice. I did call the vet and have an appointment scheduled for Thursday. They told me he s/b ok for now but to call if anything changes.

What I worry about is worse-case scenario. I've always been like that with all of my health problems. What if he get worse before then? What will I do if I can't get him there in time?

We are in desperate need of a mobile vet in this area. I have neighbours with pets who agree with me on that.

I need to go to the laundromat because my laundry is really piled up but I am scared to leave him alone for a couple of hours. Maybe I'm overthinking this and getting too worried. The vet's office told me that oftentimes when a cat is constipated, they can pee more frequently or maybe he's doing this because he may have been drinking more.

Sorry I'm such a nervous wreck. I've got a lot going on, not just Pumpkin's health. Mine isn't that great either.

Thank you.
Its so hard to manage all that. Sounds like your vet went over it with you.

(I get it. Im on disability transit in my city too!)

Can your disability services include someone helping you with household things a bit more even temporarily? I was able to call a few agencies where I live and get some food prepared for my father-in-law when i was sick and he had just gotten home from hospital. I know my province has programs that can help with other household tasks too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its so hard to manage all that. Sounds like your vet went over it with you.

(I get it. Im on disability transit in my city too!)

Can your disability services include someone helping you with household things a bit more even temporarily? I was able to call a few agencies where I live and get some food prepared for my father-in-law when i was sick and he had just gotten home from hospital. I know my province has programs that can help with other household tasks too.
One of the things I was going to discuss with my doctor is home health aides. They were supposed to get the ball rolling on that but haven't yet for reasons I don't understand. Because of Pumpkin's health and my horrible sleep deprivation, I cancelled my appt with her tomorrow and rescheduled it for early May. I just don't have it in me to do two appts two days in a row, plus I didn't want to leave him alone for very long.

I will call my insurance company and see if something can be set up. My doctor's office is notoriously slow with respect to getting referrals.

I finally got a little extra sleep after my post from earlier today. Pumpkin is napping as I write this and seems to be handling things better than me! lol

Thank you!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One of the things I was going to discuss with my doctor is home health aides. They were supposed to get the ball rolling on that but haven't yet for reasons I don't understand. Because of Pumpkin's health and my horrible sleep deprivation, I cancelled my appt with her tomorrow and rescheduled it for early May. I just don't have it in me to do two appts two days in a row, plus I didn't want to leave him alone for very long.

I will call my insurance company and see if something can be set up. My doctor's office is notoriously slow with respect to getting referrals.

I finally got a little extra sleep after my post from earlier today. Pumpkin is napping as I write this and seems to be handling things better than me! lol

Thank you!
I'm rooting for you both!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm rooting for you both!
Thank you!

Pumpkin left me a generous present in his litter box last night - a very large pile of poop, kind of on the soft side. I thought he'd feel better but he's pretty quiet today, I'm still taking him to the vet's tomorrow to make sure nothing else is going on. I will post an update after we get back!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you!

Pumpkin left me a generous present in his litter box last night - a very large pile of poop, kind of on the soft side. I thought he'd feel better but he's pretty quiet today, I'm still taking him to the vet's tomorrow to make sure nothing else is going on. I will post an update after we get back!
I'm hoping you got good news today and Pumpkin is feeling much better! :)

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping you got good news today and Pumpkin is feeling much better! :)
Pumpkin will be going to the vet tomorrow morning but I am getting worried again. I saw him this morning a little after 10am while I was doing my cat chores and he didn't stay up long. He went to his favourite spot in the apartment - our bedroom closet that has a space set up for him with a pile of comfy blankets and he's been there all day long, He got up to use his litterbox (pee) and it's just after 9:30pm.

He's usually up for a little while in the afternoon to check me out and stay up awhile. Pumpkin is sleeping much more than usual. I hope we won't get bad news tomorrow.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just tried unsuccessfully to give Pumpkin his meds. He refused it so I had to put the Miralax on his food. I hope he will eat it. I am stumped and don't know what else to do. At times like this I worry that Pumpkin thinks I'm being a mean mommy when I try to make him take his meds but I do it to help him. I hope he knows that I love him with all of my heart.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to get up early because of Pumpkin's vet appt today. I checked the Ring camera before I got out of bed and saw that he tried to poop but wasn't able to. Given the volume of poop he produced Tuesday evening, that might not be something to worry about but I just don't know. He ate a little overnight but I am worried about what today will bring. I will show these videos to his vet.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was trying to edit my latest post and it turned blank, I don't know why.

Pumpkin tried to poop overnight but didn't. I will show his vet my Ring camera videos and hopefully they can figure this out. I am very very worried about him, He refused his medicine yesterday so before I went to bed a few hours ago, I added some Miralax to his food. He ate some of it but not much.

I don't know why this has to be so hard. Life is very unfair.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was trying to edit my latest post and it turned blank, I don't know why.

Pumpkin tried to poop overnight but didn't. I will show his vet my Ring camera videos and hopefully they can figure this out. I am very very worried about him, He refused his medicine yesterday so before I went to bed a few hours ago, I added some Miralax to his food. He ate some of it but not much.

I don't know why this has to be so hard. Life is very unfair.
I hope the vet was able to give you some ideas on how to help Pumpkin. I hope he's doing well tonight (and you, as well.) It's very difficult when they don't feel well and worry us like this.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We will lock this thread out of respect as, very sadly, Pumpkin didn't make it.
We offer our sincere condolences to D dianajune :grouphug:.

Please do visit dianajune's Tribute thread here:

RIP Pumpkin
:greenpaw:.🌼.:rbheart:.🌼.:bluepaw:

Status
Not open for further replies.