How can I get my elderly cat to like his pine pellets box? Has chronic constipation

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would suggest dissolving the Miralax in water, add it to a little bit (maybe one Tablespoon) of wet food, crush some of either kibble or greenies and put that on top of the Miralax/wet food and give it to him. He should eat that no problem. Do this twice a day if the Vet said to give Miralax twice per day, and then let him eat his kibble the rest of the time if it will relieve both of your stress (yours and his). Try a different flavor or brand of Laxatone (hairball gel) and see if he'll take to it.
Sorry for my late response. The past week or so has been very difficult due to not only his issues, but my health isn't that great either. I'm trying to get caught up with this thread.

Pumpkin is a very picky eater. What he will like one day he might hate the next. For a long time he loved Friskies turkey gravy but he now turns his nose up at it at least 75% of the time if the store has it in stock, which it usually doesn't.

I thought about giving him wet food only but he threw a fit the other day when I tried that.

Yesterday I was able to give him his medicine w/o Pumpkin having one of his strange spells. However, about a half hour after his second dose he threw up (mostly water, he had a long drink after I gave him his meds) and a few treats that were partially digested. I called his vet asking if should try to give him more medicine because he probably threw it up. She told me to wait until today. She did suggest about a teaspoon of Metamucil to add to his food twice daily on top of his meds but that wouldn't work for him long term because it could make him worse.

Not only that, I am having a very hard time finding unsweetened and unflavored Metamucil. I don't want to give him anything that isn't safe.

When I got up the is morning there was no poop in his box. For the past few days he's cranked out small and firm poops about an inch or so in length. One day I found a poop that was nearly 2 inches long on one of his blankets in our bedroom window. A few days before that I found one about the same size in front of our apartment door and it was parked in front of the old blanket I keep on the floor to keep out the draft from the main hallway.

Sometimes he uses his alternate box with the crushed pine pellets and regular clay litter (non clumping). He strained and his butt looked a little sore.

Sometimes if his anus looks swollen I will hold a warm wash cloth to it and rub him gently. That seemed to help him poop before. His anus has been swollen in the past and the vet saw it and didn't say anything.

All I want to do is cry, I am horribly sleep deprived and just can't take anymore. At least he's eating and peeing good,

Last edited:

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you feel so alone in all this, and I'm glad the people on this site have been able to offer you a support system. It's sometimes very difficult to find "cat people" IRL. :hugs:
If he absolutely refuses his medications, egg yolk can help with constipation and/or hairballs, or a slow moving digestive tract. I have a female who has occasionally had this problem (on a very random basis), and lately I've found out giving her some egg yolk really can do the trick. That is of course, if Pumpkin likes egg yolks!
I never heard of such a remedy. This will sound stupid, but are you referring to raw or cooked yolks? I will order some more eggs today. I have a delivery coming later and can add this to it. Thank you!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Totally second the egg yolk suggestion by iPappy - it was a game changer for us when we were at our wits end with constipation/medications. It’s such a struggle you can (often) only get the meds in through food, but because they feel yucky they don’t want to eat. :(
If you can afford it and your bud will eat it, switching away from kibble to only wet food made a big difference in poop management at our house. Yep he was grumpy at first but I stuck to my position and now he’s better off for it. But I also know you have to pick your battles and when life is feeling overwhelming adding to the pile might feel undoable.

Can I ask why you’d like to stick with the pine versus trying a different litter?
I tried just wet food a few days ago and he wasn't very happy. I can afford an all-wet food diet. That's not a problem. I am concerned that if I upset him by trying this again he might get so upset his tummy will get worse. I have the exact opposite problem (IBS-D) and stress makes it much worse.

The reason I've been trying pine litter off and on is because clay litter is very dusty. I thought it would be better for the both of us if I could get him to switch. A few days ago he tried to poop in his regular clay litter box and then went to his alternate box that has a combination of pine and clay litter. He managed to squeeze it out but it was a struggle.

I just need to make him take his regular meds plus extra Laxatone. His problems started when Pumpkin decided he no longer likes it. I couldn't keep him away from that stuff for years. He always loved Laxatone and even insisted on my giving it to him at bedtime. We had quite a routine going. First some Laxatone then some treats. I am well trained!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The pellets can be uncomfortable on the feet. I used to add a bit of corn or wheat litter on to it to for my cat and thay splved the issue.

If it is NOT litter specific for cats, then the litter might be causing him issues and that's why he wont use it. Pine litter must be treated differently for cats than for horses, rabbits and other small pets to ensure its safety. Nobel developed urinary issues when we were using pine rabbit litter and we had to switch to different pellet type.
The pine litter I use is Feline Pine. His alternate box has a combination of that and his regular clay litter. Both boxes are the senior type that are low to the floor with an opening in the middle.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are HUGE fans of the Fresh For Life Eco-Litter (we're in Canada, that's the Pet Valu Brand). It's an all-grass litter so it's nice and soft. It is a clumping litter but at our house that's ok since he has zero interest in the litter except for what it's meant for. And the odor control has been great! Biggest downsides: a bit pricey and it tracks. Not more than any of the other litters we've tried, but I'm sure WAY more than something like a pellet litter.
That sounds great but Pumpkin can't use clumping litter.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never heard of such a remedy. This will sound stupid, but are you referring to raw or cooked yolks? I will order some more eggs today. I have a delivery coming later and can add this to it. Thank you!
I don't know what others do, but we literally just crack a raw egg yolk (no white as it can cause some nutritional issues for cats) into his wet food, mix it in and he gobbles it up. I figure if he was an outside cat he'd be eating way grosser things than an egg yolk, lol.

It sounds (to me) like maybe it's a constipation issue more than a litter issue. It can be really tough to get them through that :(

We have found that Orange quits eating any wet food that we were giving him while he was experiencing stress or illness. Example: When we were gone on vacation and he had a neighbour feeding him, he refused to eat anything seafood-flavoured for about a year afterwards because that was the flavour he was getting while we were gone. Now he's back to eating that but refusing to touch anything turkey flavoured. :rolleyes:
The key might just be to keep rotating through a few wet foods to try and get those meds into him and once he's feeling better maybe he'll settle back into eating better as well?

Sorry you're going through this - having a sick pet is, I'm sure, upping your stress level which then impacts your health well.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should add that the yolk suggestion/amount was approved by our vet before we tried it the first time. Orange gets quite a lot because he’s a BIG cat, 17ish pounds and not considered overweight at all by the vet.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know what others do, but we literally just crack a raw egg yolk (no white as it can cause some nutritional issues for cats) into his wet food, mix it in and he gobbles it up. I figure if he was an outside cat he'd be eating way grosser things than an egg yolk, lol.

It sounds (to me) like maybe it's a constipation issue more than a litter issue. It can be really tough to get them through that :(

We have found that Orange quits eating any wet food that we were giving him while he was experiencing stress or illness. Example: When we were gone on vacation and he had a neighbour feeding him, he refused to eat anything seafood-flavoured for about a year afterwards because that was the flavour he was getting while we were gone. Now he's back to eating that but refusing to touch anything turkey flavoured. :rolleyes:
The key might just be to keep rotating through a few wet foods to try and get those meds into him and once he's feeling better maybe he'll settle back into eating better as well?

Sorry you're going through this - having a sick pet is, I'm sure, upping your stress level which then impacts your health well.
I ran the egg idea by his vet and she said no. She recommends either a high fiber supplement like Metamucil or Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fiber Response, A couple of problems with that one -

1. He had it about 10 years ago per the vet I spoke with today. I remember that Pumpkin only ate a little bit of that temporarily and then he refused to touch it afterwards.
2. I have only two extra dry food storage canisters, so the Royal Canin food wouldn't fit given that the smallest bag they have is 8.8 pounds,
3. The Royal Canin costs over $70, which is a lot for someone like me on a fixed income, I would hate to purchase that bag and find he won't touch it even if I mix it in some of his other dry food,

His vet said the Metamucil could be given to him on his dry food - one teaspoon once daily. Only problem is, there are many different varieties of this product. She said it would be the "original texture unflavored powder," and that it would be ok as long as there's no Xylitol in it.

I've seen some with aspartame. I am very scared about trying this on him.

Pumpkin has a wide variety of different foods available to him. For kibble he has Purina Senior Cat Chow, Purina Gentle Cat Chow (for his tummy), Purina Indoor Cat Chow, and Purina Kitten Chow which happens to be his favorite. For canned food he has tons of Fancy Feast, some of which is for senior cats and some of which is not for seniors specifically.

And he has Greenies Healthy Indoor treats. For now I'm taking him off the Friskies treats because I think these are better for him.

It's been a little over a day since he cranked out a poop. I am scared even though he's eating, drinking and peeing good.

I want to cry. This is too much for me to handle.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe you can give a small amount of egg yolk raw, it's the egg white that must be cooked. Some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.
I wish that I could do this but his vet told me no.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I should add that the yolk suggestion/amount was approved by our vet before we tried it the first time. Orange gets quite a lot because he’s a BIG cat, 17ish pounds and not considered overweight at all by the vet.
My cat is about 10 pounds and is also a senior. His vet believes that Pumpkin is about 14 or 15.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm looking at the nutritional content of both the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fiber Response and Purina Gentle Dry Cat Food. The Purina brand has more fiber....and I already have tons of this on hand. It seems to me the Purina brand is a better choice than the much more expensive one that my vet keeps pushing me to get for Pumpkin, What do you think?
Screenshot 2024-04-19 8.21.53 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-19 8.19.53 PM.png

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s def best to listen to and work with your vet. They know your kitty and hopefully will continue to provide options until you find the one that works.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that was not specifically in regards to the food post (we must’ve hit post at the same time lol)

I have never really done a deep dive on cat foods but I know lots of others on here have and a little searching of threads should help to sort out some of those questions.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have a lie down for a couple of hours. I am exhausted and stressed out. Maybe if I rest up more I will feel better and hopefully feel less stressed. My stress can't be helping him any. I am a helicopter mommy - I do lots of hovering, esp if he's using one of his litter boxes.

I wish this wasn't so hard.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I ran the egg idea by his vet and she said no. She recommends either a high fiber supplement like Metamucil or Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fiber Response, A couple of problems with that one -

1. He had it about 10 years ago per the vet I spoke with today. I remember that Pumpkin only ate a little bit of that temporarily and then he refused to touch it afterwards.
2. I have only two extra dry food storage canisters, so the Royal Canin food wouldn't fit given that the smallest bag they have is 8.8 pounds,
3. The Royal Canin costs over $70, which is a lot for someone like me on a fixed income, I would hate to purchase that bag and find he won't touch it even if I mix it in some of his other dry food,

His vet said the Metamucil could be given to him on his dry food - one teaspoon once daily. Only problem is, there are many different varieties of this product. She said it would be the "original texture unflavored powder," and that it would be ok as long as there's no Xylitol in it.

I've seen some with aspartame. I am very scared about trying this on him.

Pumpkin has a wide variety of different foods available to him. For kibble he has Purina Senior Cat Chow, Purina Gentle Cat Chow (for his tummy), Purina Indoor Cat Chow, and Purina Kitten Chow which happens to be his favorite. For canned food he has tons of Fancy Feast, some of which is for senior cats and some of which is not for seniors specifically.

And he has Greenies Healthy Indoor treats. For now I'm taking him off the Friskies treats because I think these are better for him.

It's been a little over a day since he cranked out a poop. I am scared even though he's eating, drinking and peeing good.

I want to cry. This is too much for me to handle.
I had a cat who struggled with this. Sometimes, it would take him 48+ hours to poop (sometimes, a few hours longer than that), and other times he'd go normally every 12-24. It was so hit and miss with him.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to have a lie down for a couple of hours. I am exhausted and stressed out. Maybe if I rest up more I will feel better and hopefully feel less stressed. My stress can't be helping him any. I am a helicopter mommy - I do lots of hovering, esp if he's using one of his litter boxes.

I wish this wasn't so hard.
Do you have any other cats? If not, do your best not to hover and sift the box after he exits to see if he's left anything.
I am so sorry this is stressing you out so badly. It's very difficult when they don't feel good. We worry because we love them.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat pooped some last night and seemed much better. But just a few minutes ago he walked into the living room, crying and plopped himself on the living room floor. I picked him up and held him for a couple of minutes, then he insisted that I let him down. He's resting on the bed and doesn't look happy. I don't know what's going on. I am scared and unable to help him. There is no mobile vet in this area. Something's going on.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As to the differences in those two foods, there is fiber, and then there is fiber. I'd say the fiber is the Royal Canin is probably a better fiber, because so many people say it really works for their cats. What is weird is that I just looked it up (also on Chewy), and it shows a 7.7 lb bag, and shows the fiber content is 8%. this is different from what you screen print shows, both in bag size and fiber %!

Not sure if I mentioned it before, but I put my cats on an 8% fiber dry food for a bacterial imbalance one of them had and they started pooping huge amounts! But then it caused constipation in the one prone to it because his stools were so huge on that amount of fiber, so I had to mix the high fiber food with a lower fiber one to sort that out. I guess what I'm getting at is perhaps the fiber in the food I chose wasn't the right type because it bulked up the stool too much. As mentioned above, there is fiber, and then there is fiber (soluable and insoluable)

Status
Not open for further replies.