Housemates cat won't leave me alone!

ivyflowers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off I love cats and all animals and my housemates cat is lovely but she won't leave me alone...I don't feed her or encourage her into my room infact I kick her out my room but she sits there yowling or scratching at my door! I continue to ignore this so she'll go out the bathroom window and in through my window to get to me.

My house mate keeps having a go at me about it and I'm fed up with her, she's never home so her cat is looking to me for loving.

I hate having to keep my door closed and I refuse to keep my window closed.

Anyone have any ideas?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The poor cat is obviously lonely.  Can't you just give her a little loving and let her hang out with you?  Ignoring them makes them worse.  Sometimes a little rub, a little treat and a little catnip will go a long way, and so will a 15-minute session with either DaBird toy or the laser pointer will wear them out so they will just rest, and then they just want to be in the same room with you.  You could also have a gentle talk with your housemate about how her cat is lonely and ask if she could find some more time for the cat.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ivyflowers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I play with her because she's lovely and very vocal.
The problem is my housemate gets very bitchy and sends abusive messages about it. She is always off doing other stuff and even forgets to feed the poor cat.
I get verbally abused for caring for a gorgeous cat that clearly likes spending time with me. Poor kitty

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like The Cat Goddess is taking care of this sweet cat by putting her in a house with YOU in it.  It's obvious her own guardian is not all that interested in her if she even forgets to feed her.  I'm glad the cat is with you and not left on her own in an empty house all day.  Perhaps you should just forget about what the housemate SHOULD do for the cat, since there is nothing you can do to change that, and focus on what YOU can do for the cat, because obviously her heart is yours even if her body technically isn't.  Evidently she has no real love from anyone else so you are it.  If you and the cat are lucky, the housemate will move out and leave you the cat.

Last edited:

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm. This is a tricky situation indeed.

You have this kitty that wants to be with you, and is a bit persistent with trying to spend time with you, and then you have a room mate, the owner of the cat, who misunderstands you and doesn't want you to spend time with the cat.

Although I do like the idea that you spend time with the cat, as @Red Top Rescue  said, a little attention goes a long way, this could continue to create conflict between you and your room mate...She clearly doesn't like that her cat goes some where else for attention, but doesn't really stick around or spend time with her own cat...

Maybe ask your room mate to keep her kitty in her room when she's not home. That is one solution to keeping the cat from yowling by your door, and you having to keep your door and window closed all the time. Not wanting to spend time with the cat does not make you a horrible person, and your room mates pet is not your responsibility. You should ask her to keep the kitty in her room while she's not home. You can't and shouldn't alter the way you want to live because of someone else, and someone else shouldn't do the same for you, but i'm sure you guys can come to a compromise given the situation you guys are in right now (living as room mates)

ivyflowers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it'd be a bit cruel to shut the poor kitty in one room from 0700-2100 she'd yowl all the time too seeing as she doesn't have a mute button haha.

It's awkward because she's a lovely cat and I hate seeing her being ignored as I have previously always lived around animals.

She literally follows me everywhere, just got in from work and she greets me with a meow and purrs. She waits outside the bathroom till I come out and sits in the kitchen whilst I cook bless her. When I sit down on the sofa it takes all of two seconds for her to be on my lap or beside me.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it'd be a bit cruel to shut the poor kitty in one room from 0700-2100 she'd yowl all the time too seeing as she doesn't have a mute button haha.

It's awkward because she's a lovely cat and I hate seeing her being ignored as I have previously always lived around animals.

She literally follows me everywhere, just got in from work and she greets me with a meow and purrs. She waits outside the bathroom till I come out and sits in the kitchen whilst I cook bless her. When I sit down on the sofa it takes all of two seconds for her to be on my lap or beside me.
she really does seem to like you a lot. it could be because your room mate isn't there for her to fulfill her needs!

cats don't always bond with the only person that feeds them

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I play with her because she's lovely and very vocal.
The problem is my housemate gets very bitchy and sends abusive messages about it. She is always off doing other stuff and even forgets to feed the poor cat.
I get verbally abused for caring for a gorgeous cat that clearly likes spending time with me. Poor kitty
Hello @ivyflowers   is your housemate not an animal lover?  Is there a reason, she does not want her cat to have a social day with you?  And does the cat have access to the outdoors, or is she just climbing from window to window on a high apartment building or ledge?

The reason I am asking, is because your housemate seems to be very unreasonable, if she is gone all day, and leaves her cat, but instead of thanking you for taking time to care, play, feed her cat....she just sends you some type "of abusive " words??

Wow.  She may find that her cat is a living creature, with social needs and if bored will become ill and destructive, and may also leave home to find someone else who actually cares for her.

What do you call this cat?  And clearly she does find you to be the best daytime partner, so if you took what @Red Top Rescue was saying.....Did you have a talk with the housemate, and reach a compromise?

ivyflowers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
We live in a house and she goes out whenever she wants but she likes to come and see me. My housemate has had Violet for a few years since she was a kitten, she's just increased her schedule and is out the house more than she's in it.
Violets a very social cat who loves company even if she's just sat watching me clean. She followed me to the shop, waited outside for me to finish and walked back with me.
I've tried talking to my housemate however she just tells me that I have no say in her animals care and that I should keep my door and windows shut to keep her out which I think is unacceptable for her to ask. You're right I do have a housemate problem...will be looking at moving if it carries on but will feel sorry for Violet.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
We live in a house and she goes out whenever she wants but she likes to come and see me. My housemate has had Violet for a few years since she was a kitten, she's just increased her schedule and is out the house more than she's in it.
Violets a very social cat who loves company even if she's just sat watching me clean. She followed me to the shop, waited outside for me to finish and walked back with me.
I've tried talking to my housemate however she just tells me that I have no say in her animals care and that I should keep my door and windows shut to keep her out which I think is unacceptable for her to ask. You're right I do have a housemate problem...will be looking at moving if it carries on but will feel sorry for Violet.
Would you want to adopt Violet?  Let's say your housemate, becomes reasonable and accepts that Violet is better off with you, since she spends more time with you, anyhow.  Then you offer to help the housemate get another cat in the future, when her life is less busy.

Would your housemate agree to giving you Violet?  You seem the better owner, anyhow.

Its a difficult situation, because you clearly care for Violet, and she is bonded to you as well.

yes, as @tdonline   said....It is a "roommate problem".

ivyflowers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The housemate would never agree to giving me violet.
Looks to me that the only way to sort it out is to move as soon as I can so I can get myself a kitty :D hate not having my own cat.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your first post sounded like the cat was bothering YOU, but later it sounds like the fact the cat likes you bothers the housemate.  Perhaps you complained to the housemate that the cat was bothering you so she would give it more attention?  Anyhow, if you move, it will be sad for the cat.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
The housemate would never agree to giving me violet.
Looks to me that the only way to sort it out is to move as soon as I can so I can get myself a kitty
hate not having my own cat.

Your first post sounded like the cat was bothering YOU, but later it sounds like the fact the cat likes you bothers the housemate.  Perhaps you complained to the housemate that the cat was bothering you so she would give it more attention?  Anyhow, if you move, it will be sad for the cat.
Yes, easy to tell that @ivyflowers was a cat lover, and that was clear because Violet thought so too.

But its too bad that the housemate can not see that Violet can have the best of both worlds, to be with her at night and during the day to be with ivyflowers.

If she were not jealous and non selfish, she would see that having more people look after your cat is good for everyone...its kind of like a cat team....and Violet is the house cat.

But everything would have to be written down, for it to work, anyhow.

Its true...@Red Top Rescue.....if @ivyflowers   moves then Violet would miss her, but she has to think of herself too, and getting her own cat would be a great thing.

How do you change a person who tells you that you have "no say in their animal's care"....but their animal clearly wants to be with you....its heartbreak ...whichever way you go.  She has a housemate who just cannot share.

Last thing to try is maybe write a letter to this housemate.....maybe seeing words on paper would snap some sense into her.....just tell her you do not think its fair that you need to have your door and window closed and that Violet likes your company.

ivyflowers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
cat nap cat nap I love having Violet around, she is gorgeous and I always have conversations with her (some of them more helpful than talking to people XD).
I've writren to my housemate on several occasions to no avail. She refuses to listen to me and thinks she knows better. Even right now Violet is curled up fast asleep on my bed instead of being with her!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
She loves to sleep with at least one paw touching me and meows if I dare to move!
Violet is gorgeous...she looks so content just sleeping there...and the paw....it must mean she does not want you to go away.

It will be difficult to move. 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe you should kidnap -- or CAT NAP -- Violet when you move!  ( shouldn't say that but it would be tempting!)  She goes out, right?  So some time a little while after you move, Violet just happens to disappear?  Forget I ever said that.  I didn't say that.  I guess she would be upset if her cat went missing, but I was just thinking about the cat.  I usually think about the cats, not the people.

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow....this is what is called thinking outside the box.   And she could just be walking home with you as from the shop....(red top rescue....brilliant)

No one really hears anything on here and its all just "hypothetical" anyhow.  (great plan...lol)

Last edited:

kailey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
go open the door and then just give me the cat and we can say it got out, i will love this cat since nobody else wants to