Hostility Towards the Dog

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the better part of a year now I have had two cats (Alafair, age 17, and Stella who just hit one year).  Just recently we acquired a dog, and this has caused great discontent from Stella.  Stella was a feral baby (I got her when she was ~6 weeks), so I don't know about any experiences she may have had with dogs.  Knowing the area she was found it's possible that she had never seen one, but you never know.  During the brief periods of time that she has spent at my parents' house she has had limited interactions with their dogs, and was very aggressive towards them.  I figured that this was something she would get over in time in the event I ever got a dog.

About two weeks ago we ended up with a dog through a strange series of events.  The dog is a female 8ish year old Rat Terrier, and she has been nothing but terrified of Stella during this whole time.  From the moment she walked through the door Stella immediately puffed up and started hissing.  Dot (the dog) was put in a kennel for several hours, and during the first few minutes Stella circled the cage, and then lost interest.  Let Dot out, and there was no issue.  However, after some time the poor thing walked past Stella in a completely non-threatening manner, Stella jumped in her direction and hissed, and Dot ran away shrieking.  She ran upstairs and wouldn't stop screaming until we calmed her down. 

For the most part the dog basically sleeps on the couch.  She prefers to snuggle up to you if you're sitting there, but I've been trying to avoid that for Stella's sake.  However, she's stopped sitting on me if I'm on the sofa.  She's become increasingly aggressive towards me if the dog is in sight.  If I'm holding her and Dot is in sight she'll tense up, growl, and let out her claws.  For her biting has always been an issue that I haven't been able to break, but it's gotten worse.  She never bites hard and doesn't break the skin, but biting is biting and it's gotten more frequent. 

At first I thought that the aggression towards the dog would fade as she got used to the newcomer.  It's been two weeks, and while the dog has gotten used to Stella (the shrieking has died down significantly), the cat's behavior has only gotten worse towards me.  She is showing less aggression towards Dot (less hissing, more growling I guess), but is taking it out on me instead.  There are plenty of high places that she can climb to "escape" the dog, she sleeps in my bedroom at night while the dog is kenneled, and the dog is kenneled while we are away.  Elder Cat Alafair is not bothered by the presence of a dog in the slightest.  While living at my parents' house for the majority of her life she has been around resident dogs and numerous dog visitors, so it's just another canine for her.  I thought that since Stella was fairly young she should adjust readily, but that does not appear to be the case.

So, what can I do?  The most the dog (who is probably the same size as her, btw) has done to Stella is shake, scream, and run away from her.  The thing is, if it is absolutely necessary then Dot CAN go back to where she was before (with a family member of my boyfriend), but I want to try all other options before I resort to that.  We have a much better situation here for her, and while I adore my cats I guess I'm more of a dog person.  I'm not going to sacrifice my cat's happiness for the rest of the dog's life just to have her here.  I also don't want to create an aggressive cat for life when we had issues to begin with. 

Please, any suggestions are welcomed! 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think things were going to be okay until Dot ran away screaming just because of a cat's hiss. Poor Dot, she either never been hissed at or she had some traumatic experience in the past with a cat. Stella was probably as surprised as the dog and I don't think she liked it a bit.  She can't understand Dot at all (or any other dog for that matter) and it is irritating for her.

Here's a link about cat-dog intro. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-dogs

When you say "  We have a much better situation here for her (Dot)" , what do you mean? 

Also you need to continue trying to stop Stella's biting. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-aggression-toward-people  

You can also ask your vet or search the web for natural calming remedies for both Stella and Dot. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I think things were going to be okay until Dot ran away screaming just because of a cat's hiss. Poor Dot, she either never been hissed at or she had some traumatic experience in the past with a cat. Stella was probably as surprised as the dog and I don't think she liked it a bit.  She can't understand Dot at all (or any other dog for that matter) and it is irritating for her.

Here's a link about cat-dog intro. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-dogs

When you say "  We have a much better situation here for her (Dot)" , what do you mean? 

Also you need to continue trying to stop Stella's biting. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-aggression-toward-people  

You can also ask your vet or search the web for natural calming remedies for both Stella and Dot. 
With the exception of one time a few years back when Dot came to my parents' house (we just had Alafair and Jason then) I don't think she has ever even seen a cat.  Neither of them interacted with her at all- she just kind of sniffed in Alafair's direction once.  I think that there would have been issues even if Dot hadn't run away screaming based on Stella's reaction to my parents' dogs.  Both of them are very used to cats, and after one hiss Buck (the larger dog) just sat there looking at me and shook.  Rusty kind of sat there and could care less about this hissing, spitting creature.  Because Rusty had remained calm and ambivalent to the situation I tried doing some of the "proper introductions" between the two when I was there, but Stella didn't really calm down. 

The situation with Dot is a combination of personal issues, as well as the fact that they have several other dogs so she doesn't get any personal attention.  IMO they have too many dogs, and everyone seems to do better when she is here.  It's kind of an overall complicated thing... she CAN go back, but I'd rather it not have to happen. 

I am really still at a loss as to how to manage Stella's biting.  Up until now I really don't think she has been trying to be malicious, but I can't seem to teach her to not play with her teeth.  She has the combining factors of being taken away from her cat family at 5-6 weeks, and also having no human interaction prior to that point so I guess social skills are much harder for her to learn.  I have posted multiple threads about her issues, and the suggestions that I have tried haven't been too great of a help.  It seems to be a combination of play biting and the occasional "DON'T PET ME THERE!!".  I'm wondering if this may be an issue with redirected aggression.  She doesn't know what to do with the dog, so she bites me instead?  How do I manage that?  I did find last night that giving her some little treats made her act more friendly towards me.  I made Dot stay on the other couch, gave Stella a couple, and while she was sniffing for more she found herself sitting on my lap.  I petted her for a little while, then she bit me and continued to lie there
  I guess that's not out of the ordinary though...

I may try buying some Feliway spray for Stella.  I tried Feliway last year when I first got Stella and Alafair was one ticked off old lady, but it didn't seem to help in the slightest.  I still have the diffuser, so I guess I can get another refill and see if it helps.  The dog seems pretty chill now in comparison to how she was.  Now when she gets hissed at she just kind of shakes and walks away, and the cat hisses and floofs up less frequently.  I guess it's improving.  

Thank you for the suggestions!!

lexiegirlblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How hard are the bites?  If they don't break the skin maybe they are love bites.  Princess Elise was feral and she gives me love bites, but they are gentle I just tell her gently no and pet her afterwards.  I have a big Siberian Husky and at best they tolerate one another, but after about 6 months my dog considers Princess Elise his sister and would defend her against anything.  It's cute Kenai will be howling like a wolf and she will just stare at him and he quiets down.  You're bothering me BE QUIET!!!!  Give it time it should work out.  I would let them work out their own routine together and on their own terms.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

How hard are the bites?  If they don't break the skin maybe they are love bites.  Princess Elise was feral and she gives me love bites, but they are gentle I just tell her gently no and pet her afterwards.  I have a big Siberian Husky and at best they tolerate one another, but after about 6 months my dog considers Princess Elise his sister and would defend her against anything.  It's cute Kenai will be howling like a wolf and she will just stare at him and he quiets down.  You're bothering me BE QUIET!!!!  Give it time it should work out.  I would let them work out their own routine together and on their own terms.
She's never broken skin with her bites.  I guess as far as cat bites could be she's gentle, but they're still unpleasant!  I do admit that part of her problem may have been "user error" in raising a kitten, but her background makes it seem like she just won't ever have social skills.  I guess that's what happens when you're taken away from your mom at 5-6 weeks of age, AND haven't had any interactions with humans prior to that point.  I wouldn't call her bites love bites... maybe play bites at best! 

Things are gradually getting better I guess... but not as quickly as I would have hoped...

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When it comes to animals, things never go as quickly as you woulld like them too.

My husband used to play rough with our first cat. He'd grab Peanut's head and Peanut would grab his arm and try to bite his hand. Fun when they're tiny, but not when they grow. His kickaroo was a huge help. When he'd bite we'd pull away and then rub the kickaroo on him. He'd attack that like crazy.

I know that won't help them get along but maybe if she has a toy to get all her roughness out on, she may not direct it as much toward you or Dot.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When it comes to animals, things never go as quickly as you woulld like them too.

My husband used to play rough with our first cat. He'd grab Peanut's head and Peanut would grab his arm and try to bite his hand. Fun when they're tiny, but not when they grow. His kickaroo was a huge help. When he'd bite we'd pull away and then rub the kickaroo on him. He'd attack that like crazy.

I know that won't help them get along but maybe if she has a toy to get all her roughness out on, she may not direct it as much toward you or Dot.
This has been an issue since she was a teeny little kitten, and thinking that she would outgrow it I bought her all sorts of toys to take out her roughness with.  She would, and would still treat hands the same way.  I've never been one of those that thinks that play biting in a young animal is cute (for just that reason- it's not cute when they're older!!), so I thought by not ever encouraging it the behavior would go away as she got older.  Not the case!  Dot went away for a couple of days last week and things have strangely enough been much better since she got back yesterday.  The good thing though is that Stella has yet to physically touch Dot or do anything to actually harm her... just act aggressive and make her shriek.