Hospitalization, heartbroken momma.

kittyprincesss

Loving Mother of a Flower Petal
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yesterday my vet and I came to the conclusion my baby should be hospitalized. I'm not sure how many people here are familiar with Chronic Kidney Disease kitties, but sadly she is one of them. Her numbers all doubled in a month time, and right now our suspicion is a possible kidney infection. Kidney infection means antibiotics, and fluids, which both are hard on her little body. Last antibiotic made her have seizures, and right now I'm praying she can handle fluids because she so desperately needs these toxic kidney values to lower. The doctor said to prepare myself for her to be hospitalized 2-3 days. Monday is my birthday, due to COVID I can't visit her either. My momma heart is so broken. I know she is receiving the care she needs...I know this is the best thing for her...and I also am trying to prepare myself for the inevitable that she might not bounce back. I don't think I'll ever be the same if she goes, I've had her since she was born. I watched her birth, and she picked me. This ordeal has been so tough on my husband and me, we both love her so much. Its been killing us seeing she's more tired and not up to her usual self. Ultimately, I know that I have done every possible thing I could. But it kills me knowing she had 2 good years and all it took was a UTI that ruined it. I miss her so much. I keep smelling her blanket and wishing I could hold her. Please send any good thoughts, she's a strong girl but this is the most scared I have ever been with her. I'm not me without her.

Attachments

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry. I have a CKD kitty but she is still doing well on just the prescription food but I know this is progressive and it won't always be this way for her. I know others here have kitties that have progressed into more advanced stages and can tell you about their experiences. I think the kitties only going into the clinic has become a common practice, the clinic I take mine to is also doing this. It is hard not to be with them but it is for the best since there is some evidence that kitties can catch the coronavirus that humans are getting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. I have a CKD kitty but she is still doing well on just the prescription food but I know this is progressive and it won't always be this way for her. I know others here have kitties that have progressed into more advanced stages and can tell you about their experiences. I think the kitties only going into the clinic has become a common practice, the clinic I take mine to is also doing this. It is hard not to be with them but it is for the best since there is some evidence that kitties can catch the coronavirus that humans are getting.
I have been around the block with CKD, but this is the first time I've seen the really sad...and heartbreaking side of it. The weight loss, lethargy. Im thankful she is still eating, and she still makes her sweet sounds when I pass by her. But last night she just looked so tired, I'm trying my best to give her a fighting chance. I just hate how CKD hurts our babies...and takes so much away from them. Please cherish this time where your baby is still doing well, we had her managed for a long time. I hate that it changed.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your girl is lovely and I am so sorry she (and you) are in this stressful situation. I was there too last summer, so I will try to relate my experience and give you a little hope.
My 18 year old CKD girl became very ill last summer and was taken to the ER where it was determined that she had a kidney infection. She was on IV with Ampicillin antibiotic, pain meds, anti nausea meds and other things. After 2 1/2 days she was determined well enough to come home. But she regressed, so needed another 3 days on IV before she was stabilized. Once home, she was on Amoxycillin antibiotic, and a lot of other things for about 10 days. Due to the severity of this, she was started on daily fluids, prescription kidney food, and a probiotic. Like your girl, her kidney values were at first high. The vet was fearful that the assault on her kidneys might leave permanent damage. Well, after 3 months of daily fluids, prescription food, her kidney values came way down! Vet could hardly believe it saying it didn't even seem like the same kitty.
Thus far her kidney values have stayed low with the prescribed regimen and daily fluids. No relapse. She is in fact on my lap as we speak and will turn 19 next month.

My advice is to have her kidneys well flushed before bringing her home, even if it means an extra day or two. Then discuss with your vet about starting daily fluids, prescription food and any other measures deemed necessary. Don't give up hope! I am thinking lots of positive healing thoughts for your girl...and the girl on my lap sends positive purrs.

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
Your girl is lovely and I am so sorry she (and you) are in this stressful situation. I was there too last summer, so I will try to relate my experience and give you a little hope.
My 18 year old CKD girl became very ill last summer and was taken to the ER where it was determined that she had a kidney infection. She was on IV with Ampicillin antibiotic, pain meds, anti nausea meds and other things. After 2 1/2 days she was determined well enough to come home. But she regressed, so needed another 3 days on IV before she was stabilized. Once home, she was on Amoxycillin antibiotic, and a lot of other things for about 10 days. Due to the severity of this, she was started on daily fluids, prescription kidney food, and a probiotic. Like your girl, her kidney values were at first high. The vet was fearful that the assault on her kidneys might leave permanent damage. Well, after 3 months of daily fluids, prescription food, her kidney values came way down! Vet could hardly believe it saying it didn't even seem like the same kitty.
Thus far her kidney values have stayed low with the prescribed regimen and daily fluids. No relapse. She is in fact on my lap as we speak and will turn 19 next month.

My advice is to have her kidneys well flushed before bringing her home, even if it means an extra day or two. Then discuss with your vet about starting daily fluids, prescription food and any other measures deemed necessary. Don't give up hope! I am thinking lots of positive healing thoughts for your girl...and the girl on my lap sends positive purrs.
Thank you so much...I have been so desperate to talk to someone who has gone through this too. Its so scary how suddenly it happened, its like I blinked and she lost a pound and was only sleeping. I am preparing for her to be there 2 days, I just feel like the worse momma in the world. She has such bad anxiety and stress, and due to COVID the ER would not even let me give them her blanket...so she can't even smell the comfort of home. I miss her so much. She is supposed to have an ultrasound today to see what is going on. I'm so happy your baby made a turnaround. I'm praying my girl does too. She deserves more days...more life. God I just miss her so much. I can't even bring myself out of bed right now. I just hope she's okay. Thank you again..truly. She is having her kidneys flushed and they are on Royal Canines Hydrolyzed Protein and Renal Diet already. I need to learn how to do Sub-Q fluids but due to not being allowed in the clinic I'm scared I'll do it wrong. Any advice appreciated. :heartshape:

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is scary! Kidney infections come on suddenly. I am very familiar with the signs and signals of a UTI, but there was none of that with her. My vet says kidney infections come on without warning and signs normally attributable to a UTI. With my girl, she didn't want to eat, wanted to hide under the bed. She became very ill very quickly, so took her right into the ER.
I think your girl is in the best place until she is fully stabilized. By the way, what is her name?
With some good medical intervention and prayers, I believe your girl will come home to you again.
If I can learn to do daily fluids...so can you. I wouldn't worry too much about that right now. One step at a time; one day at a time. She is a strong girl. You be strong for her confident in the fact that she is getting the best care possible now. Think positive!

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is scary! Kidney infections come on suddenly. I am very familiar with the signs and signals of a UTI, but there was none of that with her. My vet says kidney infections come on without warning and signs normally attributable to a UTI. With my girl, she didn't want to eat, wanted to hide under the bed. She became very ill very quickly, so took her right into the ER.
I think your girl is in the best place until she is fully stabilized. By the way, what is her name?
With some good medical intervention and prayers, I believe your girl will come home to you again.
If I can learn to do daily fluids...so can you. I wouldn't worry too much about that right now. One step at a time; one day at a time. She is a strong girl. You be strong for her confident in the fact that she is getting the best care possible now. Think positive!
I just got her ultrasound results. The doctor believes it is a kidney stone due to her right kidney being inflamed and her right ureter being dilated. Shes not a good candidate for surgery. I have the option to have her get IV fluids tonight, or I have to say goodbye. She just said the kidney doesnt look good and fluids arent optimal treatment for a stone. I feel broken.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What was the vet's rationale for not doing surgery? Did she give specifics? Can you give fluids tonight and get a second opinion tomorrow? I would try to rule out all options before making a decision.
I am so sorry and know you are under a lot of stress. Prayers are with you.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another thought. I have heard that most feline kidney stones are made of a type of stone which is able to be dissolved with a diet change. Could you discuss this option with your vet? Maybe it would be worth trying along with fluid therapy. Couldn't hurt to ask.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi kittyprincess.

If you opted to have her on fluids, you might want to have a read through of (at least) a little of what the "Tanya" website has to say on the medical management of kidney stones.....it might open things up a little for you - and then, perhaps you might share it with your Vet.

It does concern me that there's nothing positive - or, even 'neutral' - in what you indicate the Vet told you. Just as an example, while fluids might not be "optimal".......what would be optimal? Now, from the reference that I'll give you, it could be that fluids with some other things might help.

I've been in positions where I felt pressure to act then and there........and that was horrible. Making irrevocable decisions in times like this should really be avoided.

I just saw the above posts from B babiesmom5 - I hope you might consider those.

OK - here's that reference for you: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide......Medical Management of Kidney Stones.

That whole page is devoted to kidney stones - just scroll to the top there to see the whole thing.

If your Vet questions the reliability of "Tanya's" site, have her take a look at the list of Veterinary professionals who approve and endorse it - that list is at the very bottom of the homepage right here.

Thinking of you:redheartpump:

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
What was the vet's rationale for not doing surgery? Did she give specifics? Can you give fluids tonight and get a second opinion tomorrow? I would try to rule out all options before making a decision.
I am so sorry and know you are under a lot of stress. Prayers are with you.
Her rationale was she is very fragile and old, plus she is 5 pounds. Unfortunately as well the surgery that has a high success rate...is thousands of dollars. Right now we are giving my girl a chance, shes getting IV fluids, antibiotics, and anti nausea medicine. She's fighting and trying. I have been in touch with her older vet who suggested the same, giving her a chance to fight.

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
Another thought. I have heard that most feline kidney stones are made of a type of stone which is able to be dissolved with a diet change. Could you discuss this option with your vet? Maybe it would be worth trying along with fluid therapy. Couldn't hurt to ask.
I think the main concern is her kidney is already enlarged and the ureter is pretty dilated. So its only an "IF" we do the diet change, it might take too long to see results and by then her kidney function would be close to nothing.

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi kittyprincess.

If you opted to have her on fluids, you might want to have a read through of (at least) a little of what the "Tanya" website has to say on the medical management of kidney stones.....it might open things up a little for you - and then, perhaps you might share it with your Vet.

It does concern me that there's nothing positive - or, even 'neutral' - in what you indicate the Vet told you. Just as an example, while fluids might not be "optimal".......what would be optimal? Now, from the reference that I'll give you, it could be that fluids with some other things might help.

I've been in positions where I felt pressure to act then and there........and that was horrible. Making irrevocable decisions in times like this should really be avoided.

I just saw the above posts from B babiesmom5 - I hope you might consider those.

OK - here's that reference for you: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide......Medical Management of Kidney Stones.

That whole page is devoted to kidney stones - just scroll to the top there to see the whole thing.

If your Vet questions the reliability of "Tanya's" site, have her take a look at the list of Veterinary professionals who approve and endorse it - that list is at the very bottom of the homepage right here.

Thinking of you:redheartpump:
Yes, I am fond of Tanya's website and have been doing some reading on it. I know that we are taking steps towards healing. I'm hoping she can pass the stone, but it is worrisome how bad her values were on Tuesday. BUN of 173, Creatinine of 10, and SDMA of 66. The stone seems like its just obliterated her function level. Her left kidney already had some cysts on it and was low functioning. In the ER vets opinion, optimal treatment would be surgery. But since she's so frail, and has an existing heart murmur, theres a lot of cards that make it worrisome. As much as I'd want them to do the procedure, I'm worried how hard it would be on her. Shes getting fluids, antibiotics, and she has a urine culture thats being processed. I will definitely re-read Tanyas section about stones, thank you for trying to help us. Truly. 💛

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're familiar with that website.

When you go through there, note that she speaks of using diuretics and muscle relaxants along with the fluids.

Then, take a read of the success one member of her online group had using a muscle relaxant plus fluids, this one.

Perhaps suggest that they try and add those into the mix...?

I know that personally I'm reticent, reluctant to 'push' something forward with Vets, to suggest things and even insist on having something done, and I really have to force myself to make the point....because I've learned the 'hard way' after not having done it.

We'll be here.......

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're familiar with that website.

When you go through there, note that she speaks of using diuretics and muscle relaxants along with the fluids.

Then, take a read of the success one member of her online group had using a muscle relaxant plus fluids, this one.

Perhaps suggest that they try and add those into the mix...?

I know that personally I'm reticent, reluctant to 'push' something forward with Vets, to suggest things and even insist on having something done, and I really have to force myself to make the point....because I've learned the 'hard way' after not having done it.

We'll be here.......
I just got a photo of her, she looks good. Like her usual self. She's been resting and they said she has ate a bit of her food. I will definitely call and ask about the muscle relaxers. I just want more time with her...I love her so much. :sniffle:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a sweetheart!

There's more than the muscle relaxant....here's the list of points from there:
  1. first, the fluids should not be the usual one (lactated ringers solution or LRS) (because that has calcium in it) - one possibility is "Normosol-R"
  2. the diuretic (to force urination) - "mannitol " is the one recommended
  3. the muscle relaxant (that might open the ureter) - "prazosin" and "amitriptyline" are two
  4. often, a pain killer is needed, too (does she look relaxed to you, or in some discomfort? She is in that 'meatloaf' stance.)
If you're already doing email with them, you could send along that link (Med Mgmt ).

About confidence in that site, everything she writes/includes in there is underwritten by the research, studies and quotes that she has provided - all she does there is to translate that into plain English for folks like you and me.

I'm sure it might seem like 'micro-managing' but, a few things about that: yes, they should know, but OTOH, they obviously don't - or, she would already be on those. Two, you want to give her every opportunity short of surgery. Finally, the bottom line, you're paying them for this.

(I'm feeling guilty already, as if I've been too 'forward'. Still, it's make-it-or-break-it time for her, and we do the best we can.)

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
Such a sweetheart!

1. first, the fluids should not be the usual one (lactated ringers solution or LRS) (because that has calcium in it) - one possibility is "Normosol-R"
  3. the muscle relaxant (that might open the ureter) - "prazosin" and "amitriptyline" are two
  4. often, a pain killer is needed, too (does she look relaxed to you, or in some discomfort? She is in that 'meatloaf' stance.)
If you're already doing email with them, you could send along that link (Med Mgmt ).

About confidence in that site, everything she writes/includes in there is underwritten by the research, studies and quotes that she has provided - all she does there is to translate that into plain English for folks like you and me.

I'm sure it might seem like 'micro-managing' but, a few things about that: yes, they should know, but OTOH, they obviously don't - or, she would already be on those. Two, you want to give her every opportunity short of surgery. Finally, the bottom line, you're paying them for this.

(I'm feeling guilty already, as if I've been too 'forward'. Still, it's make-it-or-break-it time for her, and we do the best we can.)
I think I'm just scared to make her out of it. Groggy and just zombie like you know? I know that these things could ultimately maybe help her pass the stone. Thank you so much for summing it up. I am waiting to see what she thinks.

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
Such a sweetheart!

Also, I dont know if shes in pain. Maybe minor? She has been just sleeping these few nights...so I wonder if her resting is to try and alleviate pain. :sniffle: you are absolutely right though...she needs whatever she can get.