Horses, Horses, HORSES!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Who knows! They obviously don't follow their own rules!
That is so true!

They are so 'half-soaked'. They don't know hardly anything, and when we get there most of the time they never know who we're riding until last minute, and we book a week in advance!

It really is a pretty useless place, and we only go there because Monty and Sid are there

And it's closer to home, cheaper......

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

That is so true!

They are so 'half-soaked'. They don't know hardly anything, and when we get there most of the time they never know who we're riding until last minute, and we book a week in advance!

It really is a pretty useless place, and we only go there because Monty and Sid are there

And it's closer to home, cheaper......
I can understand that! I would love to take riding lessons, but I don't have the money for it, and I don't know of anyone within 30 miles of me

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww

You'll have to bring yourself (and Bonnet, Cookie, Jazzy, Knockout) over here and come for a few lessons!

I also ride at a place in Wales and that is amazing. We just go to huuugee fields and bomb off!
It's totally safe though

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rode Monty AGAIN!!!!

EEEEEEEEEK!!

Today when I got there, Breeze was out in the field. So straight away I thought 'oh great, I have to ride someone like Patch' who don't get me wrong is lovely, but a bit too bouncy

Anyway, the silly moo who owns the place was there again and when I asked who I was on (bare in mind ALL big horses were available) she just straight away said Monty!

As always, he was a lil' darling and did everything I asked of him

I took loads more pics so I'll be posting them soon too
I might ask for a new siggy to be done sometime next week, cuz I have lots of new ones of Mitz, so EnzoLeya, if you're willing!
The last one you made for me was FAB!

I'm feeling really lucky today. I won £7 on the lottery too!
So hopefully next week I might have him again.
Good things come in 3's!

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here they are! Some new pics of the gorgeous one for ya'll to dribble over...

Too big for him? Pffft

He actually has his ears forward on this one!

I had to hold him tight on this one cuz he was scared as they were bathing him

Enjoy!

--- I was talking to the person who looks after him for the boss and she said that he's either 14.2 - 15hh. And IMO he is much bigger, cuz Chester is 14.1hh, and Monty feels much taller!?
---

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could measure him yourself
He looks to be closer to 15 hh...but I don't know how tall you are, so that is just a geuss.

He's a cutie for sure...

Hey, where ya going? Pride 'runs' away from the camera...

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG Pride is so cute

he looks even more handsome with his tack on!

BTW I'm 5"7

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's definitely closer to (if not more)than 15hh, then, if you are 5.7...

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say he's around 15.2hh. When I went today the lesson was cancelled due to the rain
but I went in the stable with him to give him some
and some carrots, and his withers were a tiny bit above my shoulder.

I should have rode him today, too.
Stupid rain!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness!!!! See I told you that you would ride him again!!!

He's GORGEOUS! And he's HUGE!

I would LOVE to bring Bonnet, and the gang up there to ride! I love safe open feilds, I wish we had more around here, but our farming neighbors threaten to call the cops if we ride on their empty feilds in the winter

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we went to Wales 2 days ago me and my friend had the most awesome gallop up one of the fields, and I managed to get it all on my phone

I'll put the vids up later, right now I'm at my nans and the USB cable is at home

And I think that your farming neighbours are mean for not letting you ride on there

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A few updated pics of my boy...He's at a different boarding facility now, that is closer to my own home. I am enjoying him being closer, that's for sure! I can actually advance him in his training now, instead of simply keeping him where he is at...

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went late last July and visited a friend of mine whose parents (who we also went to see) have two adorable ponies as pets.

I snapped some photos of them when we went to their field (which is just next to the cottage my friends parents live in).

In other news I'm going next week for a riding lesson. On a non-Icelandic horse. Eeek! Basically I'm really really REALLY wanting to go riding but the only place where I could ride Icelandic horses around where I live now in Scotland doesn't do horse rentals anymore. So I'm stuck with either going to Iceland or trying out a non-Icelandic horse to get my fix.

The culture around horses and how you ride is very different (you usually ride Icelandic horse (they're actually ponies to be honest) with very long stirrups and they're gaited so you're always focusing on the pace and rack or tölt etc.

Anyway I decided to give it a go so yeah.. heh. Don't know what to expect really. I'm a very experienced rider on the Icelandics but not so much on any other kind.

For example they have a form to fill in on your riding ability (I'm just going into a basic beginner lesson to begin with though) and they quiz you on how high jumps you've done and dressage etc. which is something I've not done any of.

I have helped drive herds of up to 100 horses across mountains and rivers, riding for up to 9 hours a day. Including getting lost with a herd of 30 horses in the middle of nowhere on top of an Icelandic mountain. Ive gone out riding in blizzards and I have experience working with the extra gaits but yeah.. never sat on a horse bigger than 14 hands and never ridden a non Icelandic horse.

Still I decided to see this as an opportunity to try something I couldn't back home since there is no other horse breed than the Icelandic horse allowed back home (it's illegal to import horses into the country and all the horses already there are purebred Icelandic horses)

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think ted and Monty are the best
They look like the two horses I learned how to ride dressage on (Francesca and ?) Someday maybe we will have one too.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meowers;2429483 said:
I think ted and Monty are the best
QUOTE]

hehe i'll let them know. And since you like ted so much, please read my other post on him!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

A few updated pics of my boy...He's at a different boarding facility now, that is closer to my own home. I am enjoying him being closer, that's for sure! I can actually advance him in his training now, instead of simply keeping him where he is at...
Yay!!! I'm so happy for you!!! How close is he now?

Originally Posted by Siggav

I went late last July and visited a friend of mine whose parents (who we also went to see) have two adorable ponies as pets.

I snapped some photos of them when we went to their field (which is just next to the cottage my friends parents live in)

In other news I'm going next week for a riding lesson. On a non-Icelandic horse. Eeek! Basically I'm really really REALLY wanting to go riding but the only place where I could ride Icelandic horses around where I live now in Scotland doesn't do horse rentals anymore. So I'm stuck with either going to Iceland or trying out a non-Icelandic horse to get my fix.
They are the cutest little things!!!

I'm glad you get to start riding again! You'll have to tell me how different horses are! Congrats!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just back now from the riding lesson (my legs, my legs! I could barely walk after I dismounted) but it was great fun.

I went on a big lazy black cob with a white blaze and socks. I had to use a mounting block thingie for the very first time to get on his back.

Still I did better than I expected, horses are horses after all and lots of the basics are the same, getting collection, trying to keep up the energy while walking etc.

The main difference is that I've never paid much attention to trot. Icelandic horses are gaited and trot is what you do when you can't get them to tolt or rack (or if you're going uphill or the ground is very uneven) so it's not something you ever focus on much. Also you just bounce along so being asked to do rising trot was a new thing and so was having it matter which cycle you're sitting and standing up with. I don't remember what they called it. Still it was challenging and fun.

I walked, trotted and cantered on him and did ok I think. There are things I need to work on, like getting used to the shorter stirrups and where exactly you're supposed to keep your feet (I have to bend my knee more now with this style of riding)

I'll definately go again. It was weird as well properly seeing my hands. I'm so used to having a massive mane pretty much covering them up

Downside now though, sore legs and I have friction burns on the inside of my knees. Any advice on how to not get those? They're painful and I can't go riding again until after they've healed.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have advice on how to get rid of the burn!

1. Wear jodpurs!
2. When you have your feet in the stirrups, point your heels down and keep your knee away from the saddle!

it also helps cure the soreness if you do it again!

What are your friend's parent's ponies and the horse you rode names?