Homemade Shelters for Ferals

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With the weather turning colder I have made a number of individual shelters for our feral friends from big totes using suggestions on the internet. I lined them with styrafoam under blankets and and those thin silver emergency blanket things for camping, and put some straw in a pillow case. Also bought some heating discs called Sunggle Safe that you microwave and they stay warm for 10 hours and are recommended for cats and dogs. I have one on the front porch and one on the patio but it doesn't seen the kitties are too interested in them. I want to put out two more in the back patio before winter gets bad and wish I could encourage them to go in there. Did put some catnip in but didn't seem to help. Also put some big black plastic bags over them to keep out the rain and snow. Here's a pic. Any ideas?

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have an entrance and exit? Many feral cats will not go into a shelter that appears to trap them. I usually start with 2 holes and then as the cats adjust, I can seal one of the holes.

I also like to take an extra lid from the large tote boxes and attach it to the shelter to use as a roof/over hang. It keeps more of the rain/snow out of the hole if you cannot place it under an awning or porch.

Just be sure not to place any food near the shelters. This will only attract other critters and then the cats will stay away.

As for the catnip, I often take a soft towel or scratching mat and place it right outside the entrance. I put catnip on that as well as right inside the shelter.

It can often take feral cats awhile to get used to something new. Another tip is to place them in a more hidden spot. Like in some bushes where they might feel more safe.

Thank you for helping the feral cats. How many do you care for? Are you doing TNR on these kitties too?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the great ideas. Actually the shelter on the patio i did put the lid as an overhang. I do feed the kitties on the front porch where the one shelter is. Sounds like i should move the shelter. I've heard of having two holes but seemed like it would get too cold. But if it gets them in there, i'll give it a try. I'm going to do two more shelters this weekend. We bought a big plastic outdoor bench type storage thing that I was going to put on the side of the patio, turn it sideways so the lid acts like a little overhang then put two totes in it so it keeps the snow off of them better. So I'll use some of your ideas putting those together. We have one rescue kitty, Greta, that we adopted about 5 years ago. She's a tortie, about 12 or 13. She's an indoor kitty but we have a big pen on the patio so she can go outside when its nice but not be running around the neighborhood. We have about 3 or 4 ferals. Haven't been able to o TNR on them yet. HOpe to be able to. Thanks again for the info. Will let you know how it goes:winkcat:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do not wait to do TNR. There is a saying, "if you feed, they will breed". The 3 or 4 will turn into 50 before your very eyes. You are very kind to feed and shelter these kitties, but by feeding and offering them shelter you are also making them strong and healthy to breed. You will have kittens and more kittens and then so many mouths to feed and shelter. TNR should be a top priority.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So wonderful to hear you're trying to make life as comfortable as possible for the outside kitties in your life!!!!!! And glad you came to this site for advice - - it's filled with lots of lots of VERY kind, knowledgable folks (like shadowsrescue shadowsrescue !), and we're all happy to help you help your kitties!!!

In this cold, cold weather that seems to becoming almost the norm - - -shelters for the ferals in our lives is indeed critical. It looks like you really put time and effort into yours! You've already gotten some good advice - but I'll throw a few more in there. Having both an entrance AND an exit is critical for some ferals - -but I've also found some that won't use ones with two openings they have minds of their own, don't they? :dunno: So we offer a few of each. The black plastic - in theory, it's very smart - but it will make funny noises when it rains or it's windy, and even little things like that can make kitties nervous about going inside. It my look - to a kitty - like there's not much room in there. You might start without the snuggle disk first so that they see a bit more room when they look inside. You can always put it back in when they start using it. You may not find it an issue, but I've had some trouble with them -- the ones I buy never stayed warm more than a few hours, and it scares the kitties to go back out and get them every few hours to rewarm the discs. Eventually our ferals started avoiding any shelters with a disc inside. You mention putting one on the porch - - do you have access to electricity out there? We use the outdoor-rated kitty warming pads (just don't use a human heating pad - they get too hot, even on low). They just LOVE the shelters with the heated pads! Also - - if electricity is available - you might consider getting a heated water bowl. Because access to non-frozen water is really critical for ferals. Watch for sales (Walmart often puts them on sale).

To lure them to it - I put a toy or two into a ziplock bag with some extra catnip and let the toys "marinate" overnight. I then put one outside the shelter, and one just inside the doorway. That's helped lure many of our guys into a shelter!

You might also look into either making or buying a "double rubbermaid" shelter (many TNR clinics offer them for sale at a pretty inexpensive price (they're pretty inexpensive to make or buy). We have really good luck with those being utilized, and have several on our property. I've got a link below that shows VERY easy step-by-step instructions - you can watch the video on one being made, or just click the "pdf" button at the top.

How to Build an Outdoor Shelter

And shadowsrescue shadowsrescue is SO right about TNR - it's SO critical. While the exact number of kitties in the charts you see on this subject varies a bit depending on the resource you look at, the general numbers given are that a single pair of unfixed cats can produce (and then the kittens THEY produce also start to breed) - in 5 years alone can produce over 2,000 cats! It's almost beyond comprehension! Which is why TNR is SO critical. I'm not sure where you live - but some low-cost TNR clinics won't spay or neuter during the coldest few winter months. But call around and find out what the policy is in your area - as it definitely varies! And if you can't do it during these few VERY cold months - - - find out when they do start fixing them again (often it's by outside temperature), mark that on your calendar, and start practicing with live traps for a bit. Then when it's time to trap them and take them in to be fixed - you (and they!) will be completely ready to get them trapped and taken in right away!

Keep us all posted on how things are going - - and I'll send vibes your way that they get smart and give shelters you offer a try! :vibes:

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please do not wait to do TNR. There is a saying, "if you feed, they will breed". The 3 or 4 will turn into 50 before your very eyes. You are very kind to feed and shelter these kitties, but by feeding and offering them shelter you are also making them strong and healthy to breed. You will have kittens and more kittens and then so many mouths to feed and shelter. TNR should be a top priority.
I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks for sharing that. I will look into getting a cat catcher and let you know.

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So wonderful to hear you're trying to make life as comfortable as possible for the outside kitties in your life!!!!!! And glad you came to this site for advice - - it's filled with lots of lots of VERY kind, knowledgable folks (like shadowsrescue shadowsrescue !), and we're all happy to help you help your kitties!!!

In this cold, cold weather that seems to becoming almost the norm - - -shelters for the ferals in our lives is indeed critical. It looks like you really put time and effort into yours! You've already gotten some good advice - but I'll throw a few more in there. Having both an entrance AND an exit is critical for some ferals - -but I've also found some that won't use ones with two openings they have minds of their own, don't they? :dunno: So we offer a few of each. The black plastic - in theory, it's very smart - but it will make funny noises when it rains or it's windy, and even little things like that can make kitties nervous about going inside. It my look - to a kitty - like there's not much room in there. You might start without the snuggle disk first so that they see a bit more room when they look inside. You can always put it back in when they start using it. You may not find it an issue, but I've had some trouble with them -- the ones I buy never stayed warm more than a few hours, and it scares the kitties to go back out and get them every few hours to rewarm the discs. Eventually our ferals started avoiding any shelters with a disc inside. You mention putting one on the porch - - do you have access to electricity out there? We use the outdoor-rated kitty warming pads (just don't use a human heating pad - they get too hot, even on low). They just LOVE the shelters with the heated pads! Also - - if electricity is available - you might consider getting a heated water bowl. Because access to non-frozen water is really critical for ferals. Watch for sales (Walmart often puts them on sale).

To lure them to it - I put a toy or two into a ziplock bag with some extra catnip and let the toys "marinate" overnight. I then put one outside the shelter, and one just inside the doorway. That's helped lure many of our guys into a shelter!

You might also look into either making or buying a "double rubbermaid" shelter (many TNR clinics offer them for sale at a pretty inexpensive price (they're pretty inexpensive to make or buy). We have really good luck with those being utilized, and have several on our property. I've got a link below that shows VERY easy step-by-step instructions - you can watch the video on one being made, or just click the "pdf" button at the top.

How to Build an Outdoor Shelter

And shadowsrescue shadowsrescue is SO right about TNR - it's SO critical. While the exact number of kitties in the charts you see on this subject varies a bit depending on the resource you look at, the general numbers given are that a single pair of unfixed cats can produce (and then the kittens THEY produce also start to breed) - in 5 years alone can produce over 2,000 cats! It's almost beyond comprehension! Which is why TNR is SO critical. I'm not sure where you live - but some low-cost TNR clinics won't spay or neuter during the coldest few winter months. But call around and find out what the policy is in your area - as it definitely varies! And if you can't do it during these few VERY cold months - - - find out when they do start fixing them again (often it's by outside temperature), mark that on your calendar, and start practicing with live traps for a bit. Then when it's time to trap them and take them in to be fixed - you (and they!) will be completely ready to get them trapped and taken in right away!

Keep us all posted on how things are going - - and I'll send vibes your way that they get smart and give shelters you offer a try! :vibes:
Thank you for so much information! I kinda found that out about the black plastic after I had used it for a while. I completely changed my shelters and got a big hard plastic bench yard container, laid it on its side and put two totes on their sides in it to keep the bad weather off. We raised the lid open so they can go in and out. Will post a pic soon. Good to know about the snuggle disk too. Maybe I'll leave them out for a while and see if I get any kitties without them. I still used the tote and styrafoam. Put in a couple blankets but covered them with one of those silver emergency blankets. Then put some straw in. I live in Eastern Washington State so we get snow and cold but haven't had many cold days yet. I looked at the video of just double totes and straw. Does that really keep them warm enough? I may simplify my shelters :) Unfortunately we don't have any outside outlets so have to run a heavy duty extension cord from the garage. I do have one outdoor pet heating pad that worked really well last year so will use that this year. But can only do the one with an extension cord. Would LOVE to be able to do warming dishes too. Maybe see if I can get that on the extension cord too. I know how critical water is in winter and it's hard for them to find. I was putting one shelter on our front porch (no electric outlet there either :( but they way our front porch is sometimes the snow blows crazy around and completely covers the shelter. We have a small patio in the back which is where I have put my plastic bench with the totes in it.

I didn't realize temperature had a bearing on fixing ferals. It's getting down to around 25 here at night now. But I will call around here and see what their policies are. So, do you take them in right after you trap them? I work Monday through Friday so this time of year it gets dark here by 5:00 pm. And it's dark when I leave in the morning for work. Probably have to hope for a weekend. Once they are fixed, to you put them right back out? Please excuse my jumbled questions, I've never done this before and want to do it right.:lovecat:
Thanks again for all your terrific info! I appreciate learning all I can.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might take them awhile to trust the shelters, also make sure they are not directly on the ground
as the cold will just get into the shelter, you can use anything, like 2x4s or whatever you can think of.
I just built my shelters and my cats are just starting to trust enough to check it out, they have not gone in yet
I live in San Diego so It's not cold enough yet, but I'm hoping the colder weather will get them in there!
The blankets should not be near them at all, the straw is better, as moisture will not stay in straw, but the blankets will
hold moisture and cold, the styrofoam sheets are great!!
great job on your shelters!!
They will go in! Pick a spot in your yard that they will feel safe!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're already doing so much more than most people - - -so many people just walk by or ignore ferals/strays outside. You're actually doing something - - -which counts for alot in my book!!!!!

I live in Ohio, so the clinics here stop spaying & neutering December - February because temps here are often low enough at that time of the year to cause problems for kitties recovering from surgery (since many people fixing ferals aren't able to let them recuperate in warm enough area. I know your area of the country tends not to get such low temps - but do call and save yourself (and your kitties!) the stress of trapping and then finding out you can't get them fixed. (as many of us will attest - - catching them a second time is alot harder!).

And most clinics - and some humane organizations - offer humane, live traps for a deposit that they return to you when you return the trap. So don't rush to buy a trap without checking around about "loaners" first!

As far as the double rubbermaids" - -they don't keep them as warm as a cozy living room with a fireplace, but those shelters do keep them surprisingly warm. We stuff straw AND styrofoam in the space between the small and large tote (including underneath - and after putting the small tote's lid on, we put styrofoam and straw on top of that before placing the large lid on. The black plastic tubing they show is also helpful as it sticks out beyond the totes - giving them a little "entryway" that keeps wind and rain from getting in. We also lean a sheet of plexiglass and attach it in a kind of "A-frame" so that the kitties can slip into the tube/tote but it keeps even more wind and rain out (plus they can look outside - which they love!). One of the other big tips - - raise the shelter (any kind of shelter) off the ground w/a few bricks (or anything else you have) - as being right on cold ground/cold concrete, etc. sucks some of the warmth from the shelter. And make sure the shelter sits sturdily - they'll freak if it is unstable feeling for them.

And you can still use the discs even if you don't use them in the shelters - - before we had a heated water bowl, we put them under their water dishes! That way their water was much slower to freeze over, and they don't have to be disturbed by someone going in and out of their shelter.

And keep trying as far as getting them to use the shelters - - -sometimes it just takes time for them to figure it out. We had one shelter that wasn't used for over a year - - and the week we'd decided we were going to give it away - - one of our TNR'd ferals decided he suddenly loved it! Gotta love 'em!

It sounds like you're truly doing a wonderful job!!!!! And yes - send pics!!! We love pics here. :)

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's a couple pics of my latest shelter. It's a big plastic storage bin. I put two side by side totes in it with styrafoam between the bin and the totes. Once in there the lids had to overlap to fit them in. There's styrafoam under the blankets and the silver sheet (emergency warming blanket someone said would reflect their body heat back) then some straw in a pillowcase for them to sleep on. The storage bin actually has some ribs on the bottom that keeps it from sitting directly on the patio, plus the heavy plastic of the bin itself. Here in Eastern Washington state it can get down in the single digits later in the winter at times and I worry about that kind of cold. They are in there nice and tight so they don't move around at all. Nice and sturdy. But it seems I need to rethink the blanket idea. I'm not beyond completely redoing the shelter if it means the kitties will be warmer. I'm also glad to hear that it can take time for them to use them.

We do have a small covered patio but I was concerned that being so close to the house where we're going in and out may not be the best place. There's somewhat of an overhang on the roof by the house where it is now. Plus the lid kinda acts like a little roof. I'll try the warmers under some water too!

I'll definitely check the loaner cages. My first instinct was to run out and buy one.

Thanks again for all your info. It's sooo nice to get some hints from folks that have done this.

Attachments

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gotta love the wonder of duct tape - sometimes I feel like MY house is held together with it! :lol:

You've done a great job and obviously worked really hard - thanks for posting the pics! It looks as though the bins are indeed off the ground since they're inside the bench, it lifts them off the ground just fine.

You are right about having them too close to where people go in and out. That can make an enormous difference. Ferals tend to avoid eating/sleeping in areas where too many people come and go - even if it's people they know well. So keeping the shelters away from any entrances you use is probably best (if only we could get them to understand we're putting their shelters in a spot with more protection!!!). But from experience I can also say - don't move them too often. One of the first shelters we had we kept moving it, thinking they were avoiding it because it was in a spot that was too windy...too close to neighbors....etc. Once we stopped moving it, they checked it out in just a few days! It just takes time for them to even get used to the sight of a shelter....then it takes time for them to feel the shelters won't "attack them"...and then it takes time for them to realize inside them is a GOOD thing! Just remember - that caution of new things is something that's kept them alive outside!

Do call around before you buy a live trap. They're not cheap - - and if you can get a loaner, it'll save you a chunk of change (that you can turn around and put into buying more kitty food! :) ). If you DO decide to purchase your own - - I'd suggest asking on this site for recommendations, as many of us have done alot of trap research and can offer advice you decide which one/type might be best for your situation.

And yes - sadly, blankets aren't a great idea. It seems so counterintuitive to use scratchy straw rather than a comfy soft blanket - but blankets really cause problems. They hold SO much moisture if the kitty is wet/snowed on/etc. I don't even use pillowcases with my straw, but some people do. The good thing about loose straw is that they really burrow into it, making themselves a comfy cave.

Good luck - - -you've got a big heart!

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gotta love the wonder of duct tape - sometimes I feel like MY house is held together with it! :lol:

You've done a great job and obviously worked really hard - thanks for posting the pics! It looks as though the bins are indeed off the ground since they're inside the bench, it lifts them off the ground just fine.

You are right about having them too close to where people go in and out. That can make an enormous difference. Ferals tend to avoid eating/sleeping in areas where too many people come and go - even if it's people they know well. So keeping the shelters away from any entrances you use is probably best (if only we could get them to understand we're putting their shelters in a spot with more protection!!!). But from experience I can also say - don't move them too often. One of the first shelters we had we kept moving it, thinking they were avoiding it because it was in a spot that was too windy...too close to neighbors....etc. Once we stopped moving it, they checked it out in just a few days! It just takes time for them to even get used to the sight of a shelter....then it takes time for them to feel the shelters won't "attack them"...and then it takes time for them to realize inside them is a GOOD thing! Just remember - that caution of new things is something that's kept them alive outside!

Do call around before you buy a live trap. They're not cheap - - and if you can get a loaner, it'll save you a chunk of change (that you can turn around and put into buying more kitty food! :) ). If you DO decide to purchase your own - - I'd suggest asking on this site for recommendations, as many of us have done alot of trap research and can offer advice you decide which one/type might be best for your situation.

And yes - sadly, blankets aren't a great idea. It seems so counterintuitive to use scratchy straw rather than a comfy soft blanket - but blankets really cause problems. They hold SO much moisture if the kitty is wet/snowed on/etc. I don't even use pillowcases with my straw, but some people do. The good thing about loose straw is that they really burrow into it, making themselves a comfy cave.

Good luck - - -you've got a big heart!
Wanted to weigh in on humane traps. I bought a Tomahawk collapsible live trap last month -206NC - and added powder coating for the cat's comfort. The total came to $142 with tax. After collapsing it and setting it back up just once, the guillotine door in the back doesn't slide easily. I don't mean it sticks a little - I have to physically push it in and jiggle it etc to get it to slide down (and when you're adding food for a scared feral, you don't need delays.) The guillotine door "locks" with a clip that allows the door to open about an inch, where paws could get caught. I always disengage the step plate and use a string to trigger the door - the trigger mechanism is inside the cage so I have to run the string through the inside of the cage. And the connector and transport cage I had bought previously from Tomahawk (also developed with Neighborhood Cat's input and part of their series) do not work with this model. So despite the fact that the customer service is excellent, I just can't recommend this humane trap.

Last edited:

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your info. I haven't had a chance to look at traps (bought or rented) yet but intend to and will definitely stay away from this one.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With the weather turning colder I have made a number of individual shelters for our feral friends from big totes using suggestions on the internet. I lined them with styrafoam under blankets and and those thin silver emergency blanket things for camping, and put some straw in a pillow case. Also bought some heating discs called Sunggle Safe that you microwave and they stay warm for 10 hours and are recommended for cats and dogs. I have one on the front porch and one on the patio but it doesn't seen the kitties are too interested in them. I want to put out two more in the back patio before winter gets bad and wish I could encourage them to go in there. Did put some catnip in but didn't seem to help. Also put some big black plastic bags over them to keep out the rain and snow. Here's a pic. Any ideas?
Thought of you today when I was in Tractor Supply. They had two humane traps from Countyline for $29 and they had what looked like powder coating. So I got two for myself. Unfortunately when I looked at the customer ratings online, 1 in 3 people gave the trap one star because the animal was able to push out the back panel and escape. So mine will go back and you probably don't want to invest in them. Sorry.

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still appreciate you thinking of me and sharing the trap info. I will probably try to rent one from our local animal shelter first but may buy one too. finally got my shelter situated with straw and ready to go. Now we wait. Come on little ones!

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know ! I wish there were an inexpensive outdoor camera so that I could see if anyone is going in to my little habitats. I'm sure your guys will find there way and appreciate all the hard work you've done for them.

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know ! I wish there were an inexpensive outdoor camera so that I could see if anyone is going in to my little habitats. I'm sure your guys will find there way and appreciate all the hard work you've done for them.
Yes!!!!!! I even bought one of those As Seen On TV little cameras that you are motion activated. Tried to use it but didn't get much and can't use it outside below freezing can't use it here til spring. It's down in the teens here in Eastern Washington right now. I'd LOVE to have an affordable camera thing to do this with!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use wireless ip cameras. You can find some on Amazon for all different prices. I know lots of people use Wyze. I usually use Amcrest or Foscam.