Hill's k/d cat unhappy :(

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello -

My vet recently prescribed Hill's k/d and my kitty liked it at first and now won't eat it. I tried mixing the food with her other food and tried putting chicken broth (no salt or added spices) but she still isn't interested. I put her back on her regular food. I imagine this is quite common.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you mix in with regular food and then each time add a little more k/d? Mine loved it when she was on it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I couldn't even get Feeby to eat it at all. It seems from what I have seen on this site and other forums that a lot of cats don't like it - or get tired of it very quickly.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might just do some research and see if there are other foods that would work. Some are worse than others. There are also kidney supplements for cats that may help her, they wouldn't hurt.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you mix in with regular food and then each time add a little more k/d? Mine loved it when she was on it
yeah, I did already try that. Again, she was ok at first, but then would walk away and not eat until I fed her her regular wet food.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I couldn't even get Feeby to eat it at all. It seems from what I have seen on this site and other forums that a lot of cats don't like it - or get tired of it very quickly.
She has been an especially finicky kitty so it doesn't totally surprise me that she liked it only briefly and then turned her nose up at it.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might just do some research and see if there are other foods that would work. Some are worse than others. There are also kidney supplements for cats that may help her, they wouldn't hurt.....
I may just get the phosphate binder pills from the vet if that's the only way to help. I'm afraid to try another brand and be left with more cans of uneaten food. I'll probably just donate this batch to the local shelter if I can't sell in locally, cheaply to someone that needs it and has a cat that will actually eat it. I see Hill's has a 100% satisfaction guarantee but I'd then have to ship it back to where I got it from.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Phosphate binder is available over the counter...I used Epakaitin.
I threw out so much low phosphate food. I ended up using this and my cats normal food.
4 questions for you - 1.) does this product, like so many others, tend to cause constipation? 2.) Do you concur that this product is not a good one to use if a CKD cat also has blood work that reflects a high calcium level? 3.) Did you ever taste this product to see if there is any distinguishable flavor to it? 4.) What dosage?

I am asking as I am considering trying Epakaitin in lieu of the Phos-Bind I am currently trying to use with my cat.

I may just get the phosphate binder pills from the vet if that's the only way to help.
Some of the phosphorus binders recommended by vets are nasty tasting, so keep that in mind. In addition to the article provided above, you might also like to use this web site as a reference for reviewing phos binders.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease -All About Phosphorus Binders (felinecrf.org)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Try one more food, there's Weruva WX --not prescription. The varieties have been formulated by the company to be extremely low phosphorus, so much so that they have to put a disclaimer on the products that they don't meet aafco requirements. But all the other nutrition in the WX varieties do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try one more food, there's Weruva WX --not prescription.
Just curious if you noticed this statement made by Weruva (see below) when looking at these foods.
"If fed alone, feed 1 oz for each pound of bodyweight daily, best fed in multiple feedings throughout the day." 12 oz of food for a 12-pound cat (equally 332 calories)??? This was based on looking at chicken puree' formula as that appears to be the only one Feeby might eat.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All I can say is if the cat doesn't eat anything, then the cat is in trouble quickly. I ended up putting the cat asleep after struggling for 2 years with hyper thyroid and kidney failure. I honestly think I may have done a disservice to my cat in prolonging the pain. Furthermore, I tried everything, even natural treatments. My cat was 16 when this started. Anything I suggested was just to add more time for you and the cat. My cat ate Epakaitin mixed up in her pate cat food. If your cat has a high calcium level, then I probably would not use it. But you can ask your vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat ate Epakaitin mixed up in her pate cat food. If your cat has a high calcium level, then I probably would not use it. But you can ask your vet.
Well, that answered one of my 4 questions to you - can you answer the others (refer to post # 9 in this thread)? I presume these questions/answers are also valuable to the OP too.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
Try one more food, there's Weruva WX --not prescription. The varieties have been formulated by the company to be extremely low phosphorus, so much so that they have to put a disclaimer on the products that they don't meet aafco requirements. But all the other nutrition in the WX varieties do.
I will look into it.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All I can say is if the cat doesn't eat anything, then the cat is in trouble quickly. I ended up putting the cat asleep after struggling for 2 years with hyperthyroid and kidney failure. I honestly think I may have done a disservice to my cat in prolonging the pain. Furthermore, I tried everything, even natural treatments. My cat was 16 when this started. Anything I suggested was just to add more time for you and the cat. My cat ate Epakaitin mixed up in her pate cat food. If your cat has a high calcium level, then I probably would not use it. But you can ask your vet.
Yeah, I totally understand.....kitty needs to eat.... I make sure she is getting her daily caloric needs met. On days I work, when my husband feeds her, I'm always asking how much she ate. She does have hyperthyroidism and is on Felimazole. She's now almost 17 1/2 and doing pretty well considering everything. I'm a "helicopter cat mom" -so I notice any subtle changes or needs. I will know "when it's time" and if she is not living her best life. She still plays, is interactive, and eats. He didn't mention anything about her calcium levels being high with the last blood draw 2 weeks ago, but I will double-check.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know what stage kidney failure your cat is in or whether it's low phosphorous or low protein food the cat needs (or both). We have 3 kidney cats right now (16, 17 and 17 years old) that are doing great years after diagnosis. The best thing for kidney disease is giving subQ fluids. Otherwise, it's just important that they EAT. So many kidney cats waste away bc they hate the kidney food!

We tried every brand possible and they rejected all of them. So we looked at this list of foods and found they really love Tiny Tasters by Wellness. And we supplement with whatever else they want to eat. Eating is so important for an older kidney cat. We also do subQ fluids ever night. Their kidney values have remained steady or even decreased over the past 3 years.

Now I don't know the stage of your cat. Years ago we had a 7 year old cat who suddenly came down with end stage kidney disease. He needed the phosphorous binder and honestly it was SO gross I will never force it on another cat. When he stopped eating on his own, we send him over the rainbow bridge.

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A good diet for your baby with Kidney disease sure isn't Kibble. Kibble is the worst diet that you could put your baby on. Vets like to prescribe these Rx Diets because they are given to them in Vet School, etc.to help push them. If you are open to feeding RAW you can't go wrong with it and it will help alot with his Kidney Disease. If you aren't open to Raw feeding or Freeze Dried then Canned is your next best option.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are open to feeding RAW you can't go wrong with it and it will help alot with his Kidney Disease. If you aren't open to Raw feeding or Freeze Dried then Canned is your next best option.
I had much the same situation with my angel boy who just left us, he had kidney, liver and pancreas issues plus was hyper-T but because of his liver issues I couldn't go with the med and had to manage that with diet. I recall that (speaking of both raw and Weruva WX) the Weruva representative told me some customers would add chicken to their chicken varieties to bring the iodine down even more.

In any case, Evangers and Dave's are also making low phos varieties.

Also the meat baby food soup was a hit in this house :)
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I totally understand.....kitty needs to eat.... I make sure she is getting her daily caloric needs met. On days I work, when my husband feeds her, I'm always asking how much she ate. She does have hyperthyroidism and is on Felimazole. She's now almost 17 1/2 and doing pretty well considering everything. I'm a "helicopter cat mom" -so I notice any subtle changes or needs. I will know "when it's time" and if she is not living her best life. She still plays, is interactive, and eats. He didn't mention anything about her calcium levels being high with the last blood draw 2 weeks ago, but I will double-check.
I couldn't get my girl to take the pills. And I had nowhere to get the ear stuff made.