Hiding Meds in "Slide n Serve" and "Velvet"

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alrighty, y'all, I am more disabled than ever now and cannot. Even. Pill. My. Own. Senior. Cat. Manually.

So, that is sad. Moving on. Tink will normally have a good appetite the first attempt and second attempt at "slipping her a mickey" with pate or smoothly supersoft food. Then, we start to face food diversion.

Our latest successes have been with Weruva Slide n Serve chicken/small mackerel/sardine combos (I avoid tuna like the plague due to mercury in excess in large carnivorous fish) and TikiCat's Velvet line of pouched soft pates.

What other success have you with lacing your chronically medicated daily cat's food? Once upon a time, long long looooong ago, Fancy Feast Shrimp Sole and Cod, Teal green Can, was the ultimate success. No longer, moot. But, Slide n Serve, Velvet, WOOT!

Share, please, your tools, the vehicles, to get your kitties to take their chronic meds during times such as these, when vets and veterinary staff are overworked, underpaid, and just cannot answer yet another email query asking them to help me troubleshoot the Tinkmeister once again after we had an ECC visit post poor-petsitting, and my only senior dog left, El, had a terrible time emergently boarding at a place the crowded shelter selected, as they were already full of boarding pets of hospitalized and deceased pet owners.

Both had emergent visits that others had to pay for, as I acutely have exhausted my funds and resources prior to COVID19 on 4 senior/geriatrics' care that led to their end of life in the past year, good deaths after good lives. I refuse to allow Tink or El to be by-products of a pandemic's neglect and abuse. This has taken so many friends and family already, taken more of my lifespan and mental/physical health, down the drain. COVID19 does not get Tink or El, too. Nope. Cannot happen. So.

What ideas have you to make sure these ole ladies keep eating their medicated food? They get many meds while acute, and a few for chronic maintenance of multiple sources of inflammation and pain, some are flavored, some just cannot be. Some are injected, some just cannot be. The ones they must ingest, there is no alternative route of administration. 2 of the meds are very bitter, so I don't add any other med to the tsp with that med in it, and try to get them to just swallow the tidbit whole. Some days the 1/4 or 1/2 tablet isn't found, and swallowed with the meatball. Sometimes, we crush, mix with the Welactin oil then the Velvet, Slide n Serve, or ground sardines/anchovy paste, and wham, no problemo, gone. The next day, they taste the bitter med, the tylan, or the prednisolone, or the metronidazole, and we fail, epic fail.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tink is a veteran veterinary patient, who has been through many diagnostics and treatments. She has become the voodoo queen of sousing out meds in pill pockets, fishy food of the stinkiest sort, wrapped in deli meat, using the newest "velvets" and "slide n serves" are interesting enough, we succeed. But, eventually, she'll figure those out, too. It's a matter of managing diseases that can affect her appetite; the diseases worsen if she doesn't get her meds or doesn't eat. I once could use a pill popper, my finger, chase with syringe of water or pureed baby food to ensure swallowed. No cat went without their meds in my care. But, she's wiley, the cat I've had the longest, as I tend to adopt seniors, not yet aware of my ways to sneak and slip meds into them. I have lost all strength and motor control of my hands' dexterity to the point I cannot hold a pill gun/popper, and holding her head still to pill manually is impossible with my hands that do not cooperate. She doesn't hate it, she just is aware how to eat around the bitter meds especially.

She doesn't develop food avoidance unless I leave it out for hours, with her nauseated or avoiding the bitter meds in it for hours. That will quickly become a flavor/texture she will refuse consistently if I leave it out. Typical for my prior CKD and cancer kiddos. If no interest within 10 minutes, I pick it up. Wait 1 hr, try another flavor/texture. i.e. This AM, I used pork fat to slick up the gelcap with tylan in it, dropped it in her mouth (couldn't pill to back of throat, the method that always works with her, then chased with water), fortunately swallowed, given bonito flake immediately, but I know that technique will not work tonight or tomorrow, as she will be savvy to it now.

Do you all know of a flavored tylan, that is not bitter as all get out? They hate it, but it's the only thing knocking back her colitis inflammation right now.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about hiding the bitter pills in an empty flavored capsule and then coating the outside of the capsule with something yummy?

Size 3 capsules work for cats. It looks like you can get either chicken or beef in that size.

A vet tech from your vet's office may be able to help you dose the medicines.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
We care for lots of senior and special needs cats. I.e. lots of pills!

We have used Tiki Cat mousse and stix and Weruva Slide and Serves before with success. Even pretty bitter tasting meds. Although I hesitate to do that if a cat is already kind of a picky eater.

We use pill pockets (only the tiniest bit) and then stick the pill pocket on a piece of a Purebites chicken treat (giving a few at a time).

We’ve also rolled a pill pocket in Fortiflora, catnip (for cats who like to eat it), and crushed up dry food/treats like temptations. We’ve also coated it in unsalted butter, hid it in a tiny piece of tuna/mackerel/sardine/hotdog/cream cheese, etc.

If the cat is REALLY picky and/or pill is super bitter, we do all the same things but add an empty gelcap at the beginning.

One of our girls is the Queen of the worst cats to pill. We’ve found we just have to stay on a rotation with her so she doesn’t figure it out. Purebites always work best though.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats meds are compounded which is liquid flavored at a compound pharmecy. I sometimes mix in tiki after dark to help with the flavor. She is not crazy with the chicken flavored. My old cat liked fruity flavored!