Hiding Cat Help

hellothere1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a 3 yr old female kitty (Mystery). I already have a 13 yr old male cat (Professor). Professor is very outgoing and didn't have many problems adjusting when i first adopted him. He hid for about 3 days and then he was fine and was out and about.

The new kitty Mystery, is a hider. She will let you pet her in her hiding spot and she purrs but she will only leave her hiding spot to eat or go to the bathroom or change hiding spots. She does not seem scared or aggressive at all towards humans but she was a community cat. She has been around other cats and done fine. I have not introduced the cats yet because she won't come out of hiding.

I've had an easily startled cat before when i was a kid but I have never had a cat that just constantly hid 24 hours a day. I have only had her for a week and two days so I know I shouldn't expect anything to happen right away but I just don't really know what to do. 

She is currently staying in a spare bedroom which is a room with a futon and two side tables so she hides under any of those. I give her treats and wet food and pet her and just hang out in the room with her everyday but she just won't come out. Do you have any advice for me? Or do you have a similar experience when the cat eventually came out of hiding? I know i'm jumping the gun here but i would be kind of sad if she just hid for her whole life… What do you think?

Thanks 

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is still well within the range of time that it would be 'normal' for some cats to be hiding
. Do you talk to her at all while you're in there? If you feel awkward just talking for long periods you can bring a book in and read out loud. Have you tried 'tempting' her out with an interactive toy like da bird? Do you feel she's shown any progress at all?

Something you can eventually try is simply removing the hiding spots from the room but I personally probably would not resort to this yet... some cats just take longer to adjust than others do unfortunately. 

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely do not take away her hiding spots. They're her safe spots right now where she feels comfortable and taking them away will do more damage than not. It'll make her feel she has nowhere safe to go and that will only make her more afraid of you and the house, and that fear can turn into aggression, and that's the last thing you want.

My guess is she just needs some more time to adjust. Every cat adjusts differently. Talking (gently) to her and trying some interactive playtime might help get her more comfortable. Make sure if she does come out she gets plenty of treats and attention but you let her go back to her hiding spot when she wants to and don't force her to stay out. You have to move at her pace, not yours.

Since she's a little older it's very possible that she hasn't had much interaction with people and she's just not sure what's going on. Especially if she was a stray that went straight to a shelter her first real experience being handled by people would have been the noisy shelter environment, which could easily spook her.

Give it time :) And some cats are just naturally shy, she may always like to spend some time hiding. Even after 3 years my abuse rescue Maya still hides for at least a few hours during the day, especially if the house gets loud or crazy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hellothere1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news! Yesterday I was playing on the computer and she came out of her hiding spot and was laying down behind me for like 10 minutes!! That's the most I've ever seen hear leave her hiding spot and look relaxed and hanging out. Woohoo!

The only thing is she is still skittish and she won't let me pet her when she is out of her hiding spot. If I try she runs back to her hiding spot. Do you think the best thing to do when she comes out is to just ignore her and let her chill. Or give her attention and try to pet her?

Thank you

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would ignore her for now. You don't want to scare her off. I'm glad to hear she's making progress, though!

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what a pretty girl, I agree with letting decide when she is ready to be pet. When I got Midi I didn't know I had a cat for the first week or so. The only hint I had was food was disappearing and the litter box was getting "deposits"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hellothere1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to annoy you guys but SHE CAME DOWN THE STAIRS!! Lol I am soooo excited it seems like she is attempting to venture out now. she has came out of the room twice tonight already. Hallelujah ! Patience pays off lol. Oh and wet food lol! Thanks everyone !!! I hope she will continue to progress forward from here.

other good news: I didn't really get a chance to do a formal "introduction" with the cats since she always hides, I have just let the door to her room open when I'm home. they have seen each other and been near each other no hissing or anything !! I'm so happy :)