Hi From Maryland Too

WaltS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. Found this site researching seizures in cats. I'll post my story which started last Friday in the appropriate thread.

We've always had a cat and dogs as a family. About 5 years ago we started seeing a few feral cats in our neighborhood. Then kittens. My wife really pressured me into rescuing two kittens that had come around to eat our outdoor scraps. So I started trying to get close to them but they were very skittish and weren't having it. We bought a trap and within two nights had a cute male and female quarantined in a basement bathroom. These little kitties were feral but we worked with them and after getting the green light from the vet, let them out of the bathroom to explore the house. We had a senior male husky at the time who couldn't care less about the new additions.

After we noticed more kitties we knew we had to do something about it. So I made a few calls and got hooked up with a low cost t&r clinic. So far we have t&r'd close to 30 cats. 8 have taken permanent residence in our detached garage and are basically domesticated ferals. We've found homes for several as well. And we now have 7 indoor cats due to a abandoned set of kitties at a very young age we had to bottle feed and were unable to find a home for.

Fortunately, we think we have trapped all females in the neighborhood to stop the multiplication.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello WaltS, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for doing what you've been doing, TNR'ing , taking them in and finding permanent homes for them:clap:

Glad that you've joined us us and this is a wonderful site to be in. Feel free to ask questions or share your experiences about your TNR with us.

Do post photos of your kitties for us to see :wink:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, definitely post pics! Welcome to TCS! This is a very knowledgeable community of cat lovers, so I have no doubt you'll get your questions answered. :hellocomputer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WaltS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll post photos when I can but I warn you, there will be lots. Current kitty count is 7 indoor and 11 outdoor. 8 of the 11 live in our detached garage but only at night or when weather is bad.

WaltS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Paco and Khaleesi. She was a petite little girl who was very trusting at first. When I put her in the cage to get her spayed she lost trust in me. Took a long time for her to semi trust us again. We could pet her when she was eating and sometimes when she was in the mood. She got distemper before we knew about distemper. We were able to nurse her back to health but it was a rough two weeks for her. She lived for 2.5 years after the distemper. We found her in the woods across from our house the day after thi slast Christmas. Not sure what happen to her. No trauma of any kind. I think there may have been long term damage from the distemper but not sure. After that all of our cats got distemper shots.

Paco was shut a scared little kitten but hunger got the best of him. Him and Khaleesie are from different litter but they were inseparable. When she was sick, we kept her in one part of our garage. Paco was in another part because we didn't want him to get sick. I actually think he got sick but got a very mild case of it a week before she got sick. When we let them see each other again it was a teary eyed moment. They were so cute and could not get enough of each other.
IMG_2459.JPG
Paco from a few weeks ago.
2017-04-16 08.29.28.jpg

WaltS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are a couple of our indoor kitties.
Miss Kitty is the back left, George in the middle, and Buttons at the bottom. Kiss Kitty and George are siblings that we rescued about 5 years ago. They were the first and got the golden ticket to the indoor life. The all grey on the right is Queenie. Sadly we lost Queenie last week due to her seizures. She was such a sweet girl. Normal one week, gone the next.
2016-08-08 17.21.26.jpg

WaltS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Goober. She is Queenie's twin sister. The vet said she has Cerebral Hypoplasia. She is a sweetheart. She lives with my mother in her wing of the house. My mother can pet her and she will come out and play with her but if anyone else goes to my mother's room she hides under the bed. I have to dig her out to clip her nails but she if very tense. If I hold her on the bed she will relax and eventually start to play. It's a mystery as to what is actually happening in her mind. She is way more sensitive to sound than most cats. The CH affects her balance some but the vet said its a mild case so she should be fine. She's 2 years old now.
IMG_5941.JPG

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
This is Goober. She is Queenie's twin sister. The vet said she has Cerebral Hypoplasia. She is a sweetheart. She lives with my mother in her wing of the house. My mother can pet her and she will come out and play with her but if anyone else goes to my mother's room she hides under the bed. I have to dig her out to clip her nails but she if very tense. If I hold her on the bed she will relax and eventually start to play. It's a mystery as to what is actually happening in her mind. She is way more sensitive to sound than most cats. The CH affects her balance some but the vet said its a mild case so she should be fine. She's 2 years old now.
View attachment 183712
What a cute picture of Goober! She's living proof that cats with CH can live happy, healthy lives. :catrub:

WaltS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Peanut must have been grooming one of his brothers.
IMG_6060.JPG

Lucy was an adult feral we trapped a couple years ago. One of the first. I don't know how many litters she had but it took about a year before we could pet her. She is a diva now.
IMG_6113.JPG

Mort, Peanut, and Cheese Puff. Cheese Puff was a bonus cat. Already neutered. He showed up one day looking hungry. After a few days we realized he must have belonged to someone. When we got closer we found a tattoo in his ear. I called the local place that does this and they basically said, you have a new cat. I guess the previous owners were deadbeats. We don't mind, he is a very good boy. He gets along with everyone except for Paco.(see birdbath pic above)
Why did we name a black cat Cheese Puff? When he first came around he would sleep in the marigolds. The pollen collected on him and he looked like a cheese puff.
IMG_6117.JPG

Canoli (Mort, Peanut, and Canoli are brothers taken from their mother. We tried but could not find homes so they reside in the garage at night.
IMG_6123.JPG

Attachments