Hi! And Wondering If Others Experience Separation Anxiety From Their Cats...

catsandmusic70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I am new to posting on The Cat Site. Though I had two cats, at two different times, growing up, this is my first time to have a cat as an adult. Next month it will be a year since I brought my cat Henry home from the shelter and he brings so much joy and love into my life I just do not have the right words to express it all.

The main reason I am posting is because I have been dealing with a lot of separation anxiety from my cat lately and I am wondering if anyone else is going through this. I do not travel and am home a lot with Henry, but when I am at work I miss him terribly and worry about him, though I have done everything I can to make his home safe and enjoyable. If you have any tips or advice or just feedback in general about how you deal with missing your cat I would so appreciate hearing from you. I also just really enjoy meeting other people who love cats and have them in their lives.

Thank you and have a lovely day!

Angie

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to The Catsite! :wave3:

I know when I am at work I think about my cats a lot and I just want to be home. On my days off of work that I am running errands or out for a bit of fun I find myself missing them after awhile and that's when I say "That's it. Gotta see my babies. Time to go!" So you are not alone in that respect. It sounds totally normal to me.
What probably isn't normal is how much I worry about them. If my partner and I are going somewhere together then we always fill extra water dishes and put out TONS of food just in case we are ever in a car accident and can't make it home. We want to know they will never go thirsty or hungry before someone comes to get them. That sounds paranoid, I know. It's just our way of trying to look out for them as crazy as it may sound!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello catsandmusic70 and Henry, welcome to TCS :wave3:

I think it is pretty normal for all of us to have this anxiety over our cats. The reason for that is because we love them and care for them very much.

The more time spent with him especially for you as you are home most of the time and once you are out for some time, you'll think of your kitty.

Anyway, you are as normal as us and don't worry, your kitty know that you love him very much.

Do browse around for the many important articles and informative forum threads and feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Also, please post photos of Henry for us to see :wink:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I'm sure that everyone would love to see pics of Henry! You might enjoy getting a security cam that you can sync with a laptop or mobile device so that you can check in on Henry throughout the day. I would not recommend getting a PetCube cam, though, I got one to watch Charlie and it didn't work.