Herpes Virus Symptoms Eliminated (no Kidding)

jwcater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been meaning to post this on a cat forum somewhere for quite some time but I thought better late than never. I have a cat that was diagnosed with the herpes virus by two different veterinarians about 2 years ago. It affected one of her eyes. I noticed that the eye watered a lot and she squinted quite a bit with it. Both vets said that there was nothing they could do.

Well, I contracted the herpes virus from my girlfriend back in 1976. Back then, the doctors told me there was nothing they could do for my symptoms either but I discovered later that L-Lysine by mouth helped me and I’ve been using it successfully to reduce those symptoms for myself for more than 40 years now.

Since the vets couldn't help my cat, I decided to experiment with the L-Lysine for her – IT STOPPED HER SYMPTOMS COMPLETELY though I must give it to her every night. I am so happy because I’ve suffered the pain that the herpes virus causes. I know cats don’t cry tears of pain but I knew she was hurting. Now, I’m so relieved that she doesn’t suffer anymore. Again, it's not a cure. It's a treatment that I must give her every night.

Here’s what I did. I bought Spring Valley L-Lysine in 500 mg tablets from WalMart (you can probably use most any other brand I guess). I use a mortar and pestle to grind the tablets into a powder and then pour the powder into an empty salt shaker. I shake about 1/8 teaspoon into some wet cat food every night (once per 24 hour period) - NO MORE EYE PROBLEMS! It may not work for every cat but I wanted to share my discovery so that maybe it could reduce, if not eliminate, suffering for many more furry loved ones with a herpes problem. Please feel free to post this on as many cat forums as you wish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jwcater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope that dose is for you and not your cat! While I haven’t measured the dose in milligrams, I’m guessing I give my cat around 50-75 mg per night and that has been working very well for her.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have used lysine for Herpes on the cats in our shelter for many years and I personally used it on two of my ferals when I took them in as 6 month old kittens over 5 years ago. Their herpes was so bad I feared for their eyes. Famciclovir and lysine (250 mg twice daily) brought the herpes under control and I used 250mg daily as maintenance for 6 months after. Never had another incidence. Glad the reduced dosage is working for you, but if you check with your vet, I think you'll find the higher dosage is commonly recommended.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would check if the lysine for humans that you use is actually safe for cats; some have additives that can be harmful for them. To be safe I always use lysine manufactured for cats.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that dose is for you and not your cat! While I haven’t measured the dose in milligrams, I’m guessing I give my cat around 50-75 mg per night and that has been working very well for her.
Here is a quote from a file on herpes in one of the breeders health forums I belong to: "
L-Lysine - OTC - 500mg twice daily per cat
If you do not use enough of this, the symptoms get worse.
Effect of oral administration of L-lysine on conjunctivitis caused by feline herpesvirus in cats. - PubMed - NCBI
Effect of oral administration of L-lysine on conjunctivitis caused by feline herpesvirus in cats.
"Oral administration of 500 mg of lysine to cats was well tolerated and resulted in less severe manifestations of conjunctivitis caused by FHV-1, compared with cats that received placebo."

The body eliminates the lysine that is not needed. There is now debate on if it is really effective with some vets saying yes, some no.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is now debate on if it is really effective with some vets saying yes, some no.
Well.......whatever about Vets pronouncements, the real-life observations and experiences of us cat guardians and caregivers, the "folks in the trenches" are what ultimately matter.

In 2000, a few people who were dealing with feline herpesvirus formed an online support group with the goal of providing the best treatments, care and management. Nineteen years and ~1500 members' experiences later....here is what the group's founder has to say
"most of us have been using lysine to good effect for years...We feel that when the AVMA announces that lysine is ineffective in herpes cats, we will consider their reasoning and go from there...."​
They can be found here: Felineherpes Support Group

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I need help for my senior cat of 14 years old if L-Lysine can help in his case.
My cat, Bean Bean has "noisy" breathing a month ago and so i bring him to the vet. There are some discharge in the eyes, no fever, appetite ok, full bloodwork is fine. The vet say it can be a bout of inflammation, thus prescribe 5 days antibiotics and some airway dilator medicine. The antibiotic has a side effect which makes him vomit and airway dilator medicine has another side effect which makes him lose his appetite.

After a week of the medicine, he is still breathing noisy but not "heavily". After the prescription, his appetite is back. Continues with discharge in the eyes and starts to have wheezing, slightly coughing n running nose. Got another 2-3 days of airway dilator medicine to see if it clears up but no. Appetite is affected again.

We went back to the vet after a few more days and was prescribed with another 10 days of antibiotics and instead of the dilator medicine, we got Broxhemine which clears the phlegm and mucus. He seems slightly better but still sounds quite nasal sometimes. Appetite remains lower than normal but he is still eating on his own and alert in the daytime when not sleeping.

We got a few more Broxhemine to try to clear up the nasal sounds. After a month, there are still noisy breathing occasionally but have been better for the past 1-2 days. I have chanced upon L-Lysine on the help for respiratory issues and immune system, thus got a bottle of "Now Pets L-Lysine for cats".

Sorry for the long story but i need some advice if his symptoms sounds like Herpes or URI as it has never happen before previously and the vet could not pinpoint any specific illness. Is it fine for me to give him the L-Lysine in small dosage (bottle says 1/8 teaspoons - 276mg twice daily) to see the effect if it helps him ?

Just a note that my senior cats previously was diagnosed with diabetes but has been in remission for 10 months and slightly elevated for one liver value now.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi phobebon.

First, you've said that you're using "Broxhemine "...........is there a typo in there?.......did you mean Bromhexine ?

On the lysine, personally I would be trying it, as I see no harm there. I'd be starting with a dosing of 500mg twice a day for at least a few days.......and monitoring carefully for any changes in those symptoms. IF they should reduce, I'd continue until they resolved. After that, I'd consider a regimen of either ongoing low-dose lysine or periodic 'pulsing' with it.

All of that is posted with the usual 'disclaimer' on involving your Vet on all treatment decisions.

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
white shadow white shadow , yes sorry for the typo, is Bromhexine instead.
Thanks for your input! I will give my vet a ring if can add this as a supplement.

Any further advice or experience to share is appreciated. Thanks!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lysine........does take a few days/a week to really kick in
Now, that's interesting.

My experience is markedly different..........like, overnight different!

One of mine gets occasional outbreaks. As soon as I see discharge from the one eye (where it first presents) I start the lysine at the 500mg bid dosing. Within a day it has disappeared and the eye is dry.

Now, there are sure to be a zillion variables involved, but early intervention and max dosing have to be foundational, I think.

P phobebon - I use capsules (from a pharmacy) and sprinkle the powder into a teaspoonful of wet, irresistible food.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now, that's interesting.

My experience is markedly different..........like, overnight different!

One of mine gets occasional outbreaks. As soon as I see discharge from the one eye (where it first presents) I start the lysine at the 500mg bid dosing. Within a day it has disappeared and the eye is dry.

Now, there are sure to be a zillion variables involved, but early intervention and max dosing have to be foundational, I think.

P phobebon - I use capsules (from a pharmacy) and sprinkle the powder into a teaspoonful of wet, irresistible food.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My experience has been that when the cat is in the midst of an outbreak, lysine takes some time to kick in. My Rascal had a terrible outbreak when he was 6 months and first trapped. I credit his recovery to famciclovir and lysine. I kept him on low dose lysine for 6 months after his recovery. He's 6 now and has suffered only 2 relapses. As you pointed out, both cleared almost overnight because I started the lysine at the first sign.