Hepatic Lipidosis

Ron454

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, new to the site so I hope I am doing this right, Our Cat Jimmy was diagnosed yesterday with what the vet thinks is lipidosis, I have had a lot of cats all my life and they have been thru blockages, infections etc.etc. but this is a new one on me. The vet did blood work that he said was not too bad, he did an x ray but that was no too much help. He says he sees a little yellow in his eyes and mouth. Today we started to feed him thru a syringe as he has lost weight and has not been eating. A day or two ago he would nibble the food and walk away but as of yesterday he wont eat. The vet gave us 2 syringes and 2 cans of recovery rs We want to try the force feed as we don't have a lot of money to do the tube, he is hard to feed and hides afterwards, I guess my question is that do you think recovery rs is good for him and will give him what he needs? I hope and pray we caught this early enough to help him, Any help would be great...Thank you from Ron and Martha.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a cat that survived this. I did get the feeding tube put it but there isn't anything magical about it, it just makes feeding easier. The key to recovery is getting enough food in to give the liver a chance to recover. There are two foods usually used, either the Royal Canin Recovery or the Hill's A/d. I used the A/D but I think it's a six of one or half a dozen of the other type thing. They are both high calorie and easily digested foods. You need to get one of the six ounce cans in him each day and it can be a slow recovery.

Finding out why he quit eating in the first place is also important. Hepatic Lipidosis is caused by not eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ron454

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that survived this. I did get the feeding tube put it but there isn't anything magical about it, it just makes feeding easier. The key to recovery is getting enough food in to give the liver a chance to recover. There are two foods usually used, either the Royal Canin Recovery or the Hill's A/d. I used the A/D but I think it's a six of one or half a dozen of the other type thing. They are both high calorie and easily digested foods. You need to get one of the six ounce cans in him each day and it can be a slow recovery.

Finding out why he quit eating in the first place is also important. Hepatic Lipidosis is caused by not eating.

Ron454

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply, we want to help him so bad...

Ron454

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Ron454

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I ask, how did the feeding tube work, did you still need to hold your cat down? our cat fights it tooth and nails everytime I was just wondering what the cost might be to have it done even if I have to borrow the money. Just trying to stay ahead of our options on this for him.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I ask, how did the feeding tube work, did you still need to hold your cat down? our cat fights it tooth and nails everytime I was just wondering what the cost might be to have it done even if I have to borrow the money. Just trying to stay ahead of our options on this for him.
Most cats with E-tube do not even realize they are being fed. You have to ask your vet to show you how to do the feeding, because being too quick at pushing down the food could make the kitty puke.
The cat will have a bandage around his neck to protect the wound and to make sure the tube won't come off.

The cost depends on where you live and the level of the clinic.
I had it done twice (on two cats) and was around €200, in Italy.

Keep in mind that this could be the only option you have to save his life.

Ron454

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help, this is hard to figure out what is the best thing for him, and for him not to suffer.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The E-tube is basically not painful for the cat, he won't know he has it, you will be able to feed him easier, and the chances for him to recover will be much higher!

Ron454

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The E-tube is basically not painful for the cat, he won't know he has it, you will be able to feed him easier, and the chances for him to recover will be much higher!

Ron454

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help.