Helping Elderly Cat Gain Weight

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, my girl went through some dental work a few weeks ago. Before that, she lost about a pound because it hurt to eat. She is normally 8.9 lbs. She was down to 8.2 and we got her up to 8.4 before surgery. Now, she is around 8.0 lbs and I'd like to get her back up to about 8.5 or even her original weight of 8.9 if possible. Blood work came back fine with the exception of a possible kidney issue. The vet wasn't sure if that was caused by the teeth issues or early kidney disease.

She has always had a sensitive stomach and can be a picky eater. Wet food is out of the question. She won't eat it, no matter what type I give her. I found a lickable treat that she loves, but she will only eat it a few days out of a week.

At the moment, she get Whole Hearted Sensitive Digestion to help with tummy. I bought a bag of kitten chow to mix in to give her some more calories.

Is there anything that I'm missing? What should we expect for the long haul of steady weight gain? I was figuring a two ounces every two weeks is a good goal, but we get two steps forward and then fall two steps back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just don't know with the wet food. I have never tried kitten glop, but she has a horrible track record with anything that is wet and non crunchy.

I've never tried eggs either!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about trying Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR)? Use the powder version. It won't spoil. Prepare a couple fluid ounces for her per day. It contains a lot of fat and protein.

I had a cat that lost all his teeth. After his gums healed he was happy eating regular kibble.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about trying Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR)? Use the powder version. It won't spoil. Prepare a couple fluid ounces for her per day. It contains a lot of fat and protein.

I had a cat that lost all his teeth. After his gums healed he was happy eating regular kibble.
She is back to eating her kibbles. She was eating really well and then had a bad day this week where she probably ate too much and threw up afterwards. She's slowed on the eating since then.

I'm also fostering a kitten this week until he can go to his new home, so she is a little stressed at the moment. I'm hoping it all calms down soon.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try some music, there is an app called Relax My Cat, or MusicForCats . com
And a paper plate, seriously :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Older cats typically need more protein to maintain body weight. The whole hearted is 32% protein where you want to be more in the 40% range. Plus there are a lot of peas in the formula so actual usable animal protein is probably in the 25-28% range. Humans can use plant or animal based protein and nutrition calculators are based on human usability, but cats can't use plant protein. I tend to take off 5-10% protein if they list peas to get a better feel for usable protein

Add in the early kidney issue possibility and it really would be best to get her on a 35% protein wet diet. I know my crew only like wet food in cuts/chunks or the slide and serve packets. So if you haven't played around with flavors and textures recently it might be worth a shot.

The kitten food actually might be better for her if she likes it and it likes her. The worry though would be that kitten food tends to be higher fat content. So you'd want to look for a lower fat variety.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Older cats typically need more protein to maintain body weight. The whole hearted is 32% protein where you want to be more in the 40% range. Plus there are a lot of peas in the formula so actual usable animal protein is probably in the 25-28% range. Humans can use plant or animal based protein and nutrition calculators are based on human usability, but cats can't use plant protein. I tend to take off 5-10% protein if they list peas to get a better feel for usable protein

Add in the early kidney issue possibility and it really would be best to get her on a 35% protein wet diet. I know my crew only like wet food in cuts/chunks or the slide and serve packets. So if you haven't played around with flavors and textures recently it might be worth a shot.

The kitten food actually might be better for her if she likes it and it likes her. The worry though would be that kitten food tends to be higher fat content. So you'd want to look for a lower fat variety.
I'm going to try a mixture of the whole hearted and kitten chow to see how she responds to that. So far, she's eating it decent. I might not see anything clearly until the foster kitten goes to his new home, however.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today she managed to eat 1/3 cup of kitten food and then probably 1/3 cup of her regular food. We weighed tonight and she is just peeking over 8 lbs. It's progress!

That food amount was eaten in probably 18 hours, so we have the rest of the night to go to get the rest in!

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, we have a good day and then a meh day. She ate all of the food in one of her bowls and then barely touched the other. She's also hovering at 8 lbs.

Am I being impatient in all of this? Should I be seeing weight gain?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe a little bit impatient, but hang in there! Can you try a flat paper plate intead of a bowl?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please reconsider wet food even if you only offer one extra wet meal a day. Your senior kitty's digestion is slowing down with age. Senior cats are less able or willing to eat enough dry food to compensate for their slowing digestion and that's the wasting that you see. You need to compensate for them by giving them more digestible, meat-based protein and fat. Try Fancy Feast Classic or Tiki Cat. Some cats like shreds over pates but pates will give you more energy and more protein for the same volume. Start small, like a tablespoon, as she won't be used to eating wet food. You can mix in some of her dry food powdered up to try to entice her. Though Fancy Feast Classic is one that even kibble addicts and sick cats seem to go for. And its recipe is not terrible. You could do worse and you certainly can't do better at that price.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can keep trying on the wet food, but she is a gravy licker and then she just leaves the meat behind. The only thing I might try is pulling all her other kibble and just leaving her with the wet, but then I'm afraid she just won't eat.

Today, we had another vomiting set back. The foster kitten is now gone, so here's hoping the house calms down!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A paper plate isn't helping?

Have you tried kitten glop recipes? What about unflavored Pedialyte? Can you try fingerfeeding, or with a spoon?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you try Fancy Feast Classic? A lot of kibble addicts and sick cats go for this.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have not tried kitten glob yet. I tried her favorite wet treat yesterday and she’s wasn’t interested beyond a few licks. She is eating a little less than 2/3 a cup of food (combo of kitten food and her sensitive digestion food) and I’m trying them in shallower dishes.

I purchased a senior food to try as it has a higher protein content and a box of wet foods. They will all be here at the end of the month.

I don’t feel like we’re in danger. She’s holding tight at 8 lbs even. I just want to see the number start to climb.