Helping Cat With Heart Failure Sleep

jasonm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat has heart failure at an advanced stage. One of the problems is that she is having difficulty sleeping as the excess fluid in her body reduces her lung capacity as soon as she lies down. I noticed that she generally prefers to sit right up but then she can obviously not sleep. She is given a diuretic which I hope will help reduce some of the fluid in her belly/lungs; but in the meantime I am wondering what I could do to help her get some sleep. I have tried to put a pillow underneath her so that she can lie in a slightly tilted position with her head higher, but it doesn't really work. Any other tips or people with experience?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our last cat had HCM and went into congestive heart failure a couple of times. He preferred to sleep on relatively hard surfaces when that happened, so I kept folded towels on tables and the floor. He seemed most comfortable on a slightly padded window perch or sleeping on top of me, so I spent a lot of time reading in bed or on the couch with him on my hip or back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasonm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our last cat had HCM and went into congestive heart failure a couple of times. He preferred to sleep on relatively hard surfaces when that happened, so I kept folded towels on tables and the floor. He seemed most comfortable on a slightly padded window perch or sleeping on top of me, so I spent a lot of time reading in bed or on the couch with him on my hip or back.
Thank you for your advise