Help!

Breanab17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! My name is Breana. I’m 19. About 5 or 6 years ago maybe? My aunt Jenny found a cat outside, I’m not exactly sure how she found her and the situation the cat was in. By the way the cats name is boobie! She’s my baby I love her more than life. I cherish her. Well she found her and Boobie was extremely malnourished and abused. You can tell she was abused. Her stomach hangs very LOW. My aunt thought she was kicked in her stomach and abused because of how bad her belly hung. She didn’t let anybody touch her for a while. She didn’t like being around other cats and she still has a hard time. She finally opened up to my aunt and they became best friends. My aunt treated her like a baby. My aunt Jenny always lived alone so Boobie was her whole life. All she talked about was Boobie. She brushed her EVERY DAY N NIGHT. She did everything she could to make her feel safe and comfortable. And Boobie finally felt safe I believe. Sometimes she would swat at her and scratched and bit at times. She doesn’t really like her belly touched that’s when she would swat. Well unfortunately my beloved Aunt Jenny passed away a few months ago. So unexpected. My heart is broken. My heart HURTS for Boobie because she lost her mama. The women who rescued her and gave her a new better life. Me and my mother had to take Boobie in. We took her in without even thinking because we love her. And we know how much aunt Jenny loved her. So we took in our precious babygirl Boobie. At first she didn’t let us pet her she was very stand-off ish. She still is at times. Sometime I am scared to pet her because she scratches me and I know she is scared. I am too. I brush her and she LOVES it she gets so overwhelmed she bites and scratches even though she doesn’t mean it. I just need help and answers because I feel like I can’t give her the love my aunt once gave her. I want to and i am trying! I just don’t know how to gain her trust. I think she trusts me but she is still scared at times. I only pet her head and neck because if I go any lower she meows and try’s to scratch. Sometimes when anyone walks by her she swats. She always is downstairs alone in her cat bed. Sometimes she will lay at the end of my moms bed but that’s it. She won’t jump on anything. Couches, beds.. etc... I just want her to feel as comfortable as possible and safe. I love her so much and I cherish her. I miss my aunt everyday and Boobie is apart of my memory of her. I just want her to have the best life as possible. I am not sure how old she is. Maybe 7 or 8? if I didn’t provide enough information let me know and I can answer any question but I just need advice please! Thank you

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she had any injuries the vet your aunt took her too would have noticed so it's probably not from pain that she bites. She could just be easily overstimulated, I have 2 Cats like that who will scratch and bite if you pet them too much, though they don't break the skin unless you don't take the hint and keep at it after the initial warning.

Just spend time with her, if there are any toys she likes in particular then play with her as much as you can. It will take time for her to adjust but as long as you are patient with her she will adapt to being in your home.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Brenanab17

It is very important to let her come to you- not the other way around. Be calm around her and let her set the pace. This is not the time to be overstimulating her with too much brushing- this is the time to earn her trust. She doesn't really know you, or your home, and she doesn't know if anyone is going to hurt her, so please be patient. I would get the trust started by establishing a set feeding time so she knows she can always count on you to take care of her needs. Just give her some space and don't make sudden movements towards her, or try to grab her, and she will slowly learn that you are a friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Breanab17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she had any injuries the vet your aunt took her too would have noticed so it's probably not from pain that she bites. She could just be easily overstimulated, I have 2 Cats like that who will scratch and bite if you pet them too much, though they don't break the skin unless you don't take the hint and keep at it after the initial warning.

Just spend time with her, if there are any toys she likes in particular then play with her as much as you can. It will take time for her to adjust but as long as you are patient with her she will adapt to being in your home.
Thank you!! Yeah she never breaks the skin when she scratches, I do believe she does get overstimulated at times. I spend as much time as I can with her sometimes I will just lay on the floor with her so she feels more comfortable rather than me hovering over top of her. Although in all the years I have known her she has never played with any toys. I don’t see her play often. Which I’m okay with as long as she’s happy! Thank you for the help 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Breanab17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Brenanab17

It is very important to let her come to you- not the other way around. Be calm around her and let her set the pace. This is not the time to be overstimulating her with too much brushing- this is the time to earn her trust. She doesn't really know you, or your home, and she doesn't know if anyone is going to hurt her, so please be patient. I would get the trust started by establishing a set feeding time so she knows she can always count on you to take care of her needs. Just give her some space and don't make sudden movements towards her, or try to grab her, and she will slowly learn that you are a friend.
Yes thank you!! I agree! She has been with us for about 5 months or so, at first she was very scared and ran away but she has definitely came along way in this short period of time. I try not to approach her unless she comes to me. And when she does she rubs her head against my hand so hard! It’s the cutest thing lol, but at times she probably does get overstimulated when petting her or brushing her which explains why she swats and scratches. My biggest thing when she first came home with us was feeding her and letting her open up to us. The feeding definitely helped with trust. Again thank you

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! Yeah she never breaks the skin when she scratches, I do believe she does get overstimulated at times. I spend as much time as I can with her sometimes I will just lay on the floor with her so she feels more comfortable rather than me hovering over top of her. Although in all the years I have known her she has never played with any toys. I don’t see her play often. Which I’m okay with as long as she’s happy! Thank you for the help 😊
Laying down so you're at her level is a good thing to do since it really does make a Cat more relaxed. If she doesn't play much that's fine, not all Cats do, but as long as she's comfortable around you she'll be ok.

Most Cats love towers so if you don't have any of those (you probably do, but just in case) getting a few and putting them in various rooms, preferably near windows, would be good for her.