Help With Ragdoll Kitten Color

Skipsblondie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know he's pure ragdoll and I was told mom is seal and dad is seal lynx.

Help with color?!

Attachments

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He looks like a blue point to me, but it should say on his color on his pedigree, if he came with one, which would be really the only way to confirm that he is a purebred Ragdoll.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skipsblondie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible to get blue from two seals?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Blue is the dilute of black (black = seal), so I believe so, genetics really isn't my area of expertise, I'm more of a breed/color identifier. Have you purchased this cat yet? If this is something you're considering, don't purchase a purebred cat who doesn't have a pedigree, as it is, unfortunately, pretty common for backyard breeders to scam customers. I am slightly confused about these cats, as Ragdoll markings are more like an inverted "v": Breed Profile: The Ragdoll

Skipsblondie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ragdolls come in several different colors and patterns. I know the kitten is pure (there isn't any question about that). I'm just looking for color opinions.

My thoughts were that he is blue or lilac - but wanted opinions.

oscarsmummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sorry to just barge in like this but ive just adopted a ragdoll kitten myself. she is full pedigree and it says shes a lilac bicolour on her papers but i have doubts. what colour do you think she is
20170608_014212.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think she looks like a lilac bicolor. Very beautiful cat!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The diluting gene is recessive as I understand. so its fully possible two seals carry each one the dilutiation gene, and the genes meets in one or two of the kittens. Most kittens remains seal, but someone will be diluted.

Its as with the point gene, so to speak.

Another thing Im not completely convinced mom is seal, for me she looks blue. But compare also the backside of the ears and the tail, the face masque isnt not always reliable.

Is it possible to get blue from two seals?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
O oscarsmummy Your nice ragdoll seems to carry white too, very much in the face instead of the usual masque. So we cant deem nothing from the face which is white. You must look at the backside of the ears and the tail...

Skipsblondie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both parents are definitely seal - no doubts there. And now that the kitten I have is two months older than when I first posted I am not convinced he is a blue point. His tail and toes are almost beige/rosy colored.

So my question - is it possible to have lilac from two seal parents?

I also got a half sibling about a month ago who is definitely lilac. She has the same sire but a lilac mom.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't really think you can get a lilac from two seal parents, one would have to be a chocolate point because lilac is the dilute of chocolate where as blue is the dilute of seal. The lynx point parent though I'm not 100% that it's seal, as into looks quite a bit lighter. If it is in fact a chocolate then your kitty could very well be a lilac.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But I'm not doubting you on your word, you probably saw them in person so if you say the lynx point is a seal then your kitty is definitely a blue point, just a paler variation- which is not unheard of. Some points darken more than others, regardless of what specific color it is. I've seen seal pointed cats turn nearly black and others maintain a hint of brown their entire lives. Sometimes it's just the individual

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten is male; he needs only a single copy - not two copies of the colour gene - for expression. On my monitor, it appears that he's inherited a red gene, the dilution positive, and the modifier, which would make his pointing, "Apricot."

Skipsblondie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But I'm not doubting you on your word, you probably saw them in person so if you say the lynx point is a seal then your kitty is definitely a blue point, just a paler variation- which is not unheard of. Some points darken more than others, regardless of what specific color it is. I've seen seal pointed cats turn nearly black and others maintain a hint of brown their entire lives. Sometimes it's just the individual
The lynx's papers say seal, but I guess it's possible that's wrong? I'm not sure... I will have to get pictures of the kittens I have now.