Help with my feral kitten/cat

raeofsun1491

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, back in February two Siamese/Tabby kittens randomly showed up in my backyard one morning. No one in the neighborhood seemed to know where they came from so I started feeding them and planning to trap them to get them spayed/neutered. Three weeks ago I was able to trap the girl and she quickly tamed up. She went from hissing and spitting at me to being a little lap kitty in about a week. She was covered in fleas and had a bad case of roundworm so I took her to the vet where they told me she was 6 months old and just very small for her age (3.3 pounds!). She now has her first round of vaccines but they told me she was too little to handle anesthesia. The next week I was able to trap her brother. He is not taming so quickly. He started out pretty shy and would let me hold him for a minute before running away. Then he became more outgoing and started hissing and biting. He still hisses and swats at me so I've tried to stop petting him and began allowing him to decide when he wants to approach me and we seem to be making some better progress. They both live in my spare bedroom right now and the boy will come out of his hiding spot when I'm in the room and will sniff me then run away whereas a week ago he would not leave his little corner. He still seems to be looking for an escape route as he tries to climb up everything and digs at the carpet. He still does not want me to pet him and I'm really trying to make more progress so that he can get his vaccines and be scheduled to be neutered. Am I doing the right thing? Should I be taking another approach with him? This is all very new to me as I have 3 other cats but they were all tame when I got them. The little girl just tamed up so fast with a more direct/forced affection method that I'm kind of at a loss on what I'm supposed to be doing for him. Any help/advice is appreciated!!!
Insert obligatory cat photos:
IMG_20230417_213619654.jpg IMG_20230422_065738194.jpg IMG_20230409_191455323.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, you're making wonderful progress with him :hugs:

I personally think that you should just take him in. He'll be unhappy about it but better that, and given any treatments he needs, now than later because he'll get over the vet visit, I promise :heartshape:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The little girl just tamed up so fast with a more direct/forced affection method that I'm kind of at a loss on what I'm supposed to be doing for him. Any help/advice is appreciated!!!
Insert obligatory cat photos:
Thank you for taking then in! :clapcat:

Some cats warm cup faster than others but don't give up hope yet. Just continue to do your stuffs but visit them more often and since the little boy has come out of his corner to greet you, there's hope. Bring treats and toys and sit on the floor when you visit them and play with the little boy and give him treats and keep talking to him. A small ball or cat wand will be good.

If he comes near you, form a fist with your hand and present it to him. By doing this, your fist looks like another cat's head and they like to head bump. Let Jim get use to your fist and also put some treats in your fist and if he head bumps your fist, open up your fist and reward him with the treat.

He must break through this barrier 100% and I see that he has made quite an advancement and with love, patience and routine, you'll win him over. Just don't give up.