Help With Giardia.

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in a battle with giardia and have a few questions if anyone can help...

When the first bout of diarrhea and sad leaky butts hit, our living room was ground zero (we came home to a literal sh*t storm... lol). I have cleaned surfaces and floors, and wiped and scrubbed spots on furniture and rugs. However...
- How long can giardia live on furniture and rugs?
- How did you clean it? We're on a bit of a budget, especially after 2 expensive rounds of treatment for the kittens, so professional steam cleaning really isn't an option :(

With both rounds of metronidazole, the kittens' health is like night and day! No diarrhea, energy levels are high, and they're eating and drinking well. Today is day one off of round two of treatment (panacur and 7 more days of metronidazole - we didn't get the diagnosis of giardia until after the first treatment of metronidazole when the "squirts" returned).
- I understand I should keep them quarantined for a few more days to prevent re-infection, what more can I do to be sure we knock this out once and for all?

Thank you so much in advance for any help!! These sweeties mean a lot to us :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm happy to say the kittens are officially in the clear now, giardia test on Monday came back negative, and they're finally at the weight they should be! :-D

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's great to get the negative test, but I'd still be a bit cautious. I'd be inclined to keep them quarantined for a couple more days and clean the heck out of the rest of the house one more time just to be sure.
I hope they stay healthy now!