Help with feral kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks catwoman707. She probably would have come around eventually. I am not sure my daughter would have had what she wanted, which is a cat that sits wroth her and comes to her. I never thought she would be that, but four weeks and she will run to my daughter if she sits on the couch.

Mind blown.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's great, she is doing so well. You've done such a fantastic job with her.

Congratulations to you and your daughter. (And your husband for making her a cool cat tree.)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks catwoman707. She probably would have come around eventually. I am not sure my daughter would have had what she wanted, which is a cat that sits wroth her and comes to her. I never thought she would be that, but four weeks and she will run to my daughter if she sits on the couch.

Mind blown.

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Sorry to keep reviving this, but is thought I would post another pic. The orange at the bottom is my shirt. She is laying up against my leg.

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Because our house is so small we wanted one we could fit a litter box in. We used left over beadboard paneling on the side. My house is 100 years old, so our motto is when in doubt use beadboard. Most of the wood was leftover from our kitchen remodel. We had a lot of repairs to the subfloor.

We finish the kitchen remodel tomorrow. Then on to the dining room. That should be quick and relatively cheap. Though my kitchen was 3K over budget, so I am not great at this.

DH and DD made the cat tree last weekend. We bought the rope at Home Depot if that is what you were asking. The only thing we had trouble finding were carpet scraps. We actually had a remnant from the living room as a rig in another room, so,we used that. The rope was the only thing we bought, that was $10.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE old houses!!

SO much charm, not like the newer ones at all. Mine has the glass french style doors between the LR and DR, and built in glass doors in the DR, with the big moldings and a plate shelf all around the room. I adore this! 

The only neg is how there is always only 1 bathroom, very small too. Guess they didn't spend much time in there back then!! Haha!

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@catwoman707, I agree. A lot of the great characteristics of my house were drywalled over or removed. My husband has been adding craftsman style build ins where he can. We had so many structural/foundation issues early on, plus we had to redo stuff like HVAC and roof. So now we finally get to do cosmetic/fun stuff.

I have a couple friends who own really great old houses, but they aren't in the best area. In my ideal situation I would love a great old house in a nice area that didn't need a ton of work. A girl can dream.

Our neighbor insists our house was built without a bathroom. When she built her house right after WWII she insists there was an outhouse. I guess bathrooms served one purpose back then. I am jealous of the French doors. We really don't have any of the great architectural stuff. The only thing I can say is the bones are good. I know houses today aren't built like that.

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't want to zombify this thread, but I want to let you guys know how we are doing, and thought people who helped me out early on would like some news.

Has it been four months? Time flies.

Glinda is a curious little monster. She drives us all crazy and keeps us on our toes. We expected her to bond with one person, but she isn't picky. If you have hands you should be petting her. She is a cuddler. She has won my husband over completely. Though he calls her bad cat and tells her she needs to catch more flies.

She went through an aggressive phase for a bit, but that has calmed down.

My husband's allergies are doing well. They act up if we don't vacuum daily.

The vet said she had one of the nicest coats she has seen. She is so soft and she rarely sheds. We have come a long way from dry skin and Brillo pad fur that shed in puffs.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am thrilled to see her progress! How beautiful she is, that your husband loves her, and all has gone so incredibly well! Couldn't be better news!

Excellent job, your patience has payed off nicely, I'm sure you will agree.   

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks catwoman. My husband insists she hasn't grown since we got her, and she was never that bad. Funny what we remember. I have to show him pictures of her as a kitten to show him she has grown a lot.

She was such a scared little girl. I am so glad I was patient and she has gained so much confidence. She still has moments of being a scaredy cat, but it gets better all of the time.

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really didn't know where to add an update. Glinda is doing great.

My daughter has a friend over tonight. It is easy to forget Glinda was born feral until we have anyone else in the house besides us. She hates it, and gets mad at us for letting someone invade her kingdom. She is loving and affectionate with all three of us. She has figures out the stairs to my daughter's loft bed and that is her normal sleeping spot now. My daughter loves that the cat sleeps with her.

We didn't have a tree for Christmas, mainly because we were busy, but a little because it was obvious she would have destroyed it. She can be a troublemaker. She is incredibly curious and very daring.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This is the perfect place to update.. what a happy pussycat!

I love the sticker.. Glinda may not rule the world but she certainly believes she rules the household.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a fantastic update.  Thank you so much for coming back.  She certainly is growing and what a wonderful job you did socializing her.

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My daughter picked up the sticker at her book fair, Glinda definitely rules the roost.