Help with feral kitten

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She's doing really well. She seems to like your daughter. You have another Cat Lady in the making there. 

By the way, about the vacuum, I think nearly all cats hate the sound of a vacuum cleaner. My oldest rescued feral has been with me for 6 years now and she still can't stand it. Whenever I vacuum I have to open the windows and the cats all run outside as soon as I switch it on, then glare at me through the glass until I'm done. 

It might be a bit too much to expect her to get used to it straight away. Could you move her to another room or cover her cage while you vacuum around her? Just until she gets more comfortable in her new home.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Totally agree, not something she is ready to get 'used' to just yet!

In time, once she is suituated and secure.

I have one who, just hearing me pulling out the vac, becomes invisible, gone like wow, did she just literally disappear into thin air??!

Then my other one I have to tap her with the vac to get her to move or vac around her :) !! She is also my car dog, loves to go bubye and put her face out the window like a dog!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you guys are right. I think she deals much better with the vacuum when she is in her crate.

Yesterday went really well. Instead of hiding behind the couch she stayed on and under the ottoman and chair. She watched and played with us a bit.

When I brought out the baby food she came up to me after a bit and I put her in her crate after feeding her.

This morning she came to me for pets in the crate again. She is still hissing, but there hasn't been any swiping or running to her corner in a few days, sometimes when she is done with us she will walk away and climb in her hammock, but not hiding in the corner like it used to be.

I really believe if I hadn't found this site we wouldn't be where we are. She might have come around, but I think she has a much better chance of being part of the family now.

She is definitely bonding with my daughter. She has started to come around to me in the last couple days. My husband handles her the least, but she seems most interested in him.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like things are coming right along as they should be.

Sure, because he is a mystery :) Glad to hear!

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Question:

She really wants to run around in the mornings now. With things being so hectic I feel like that is hard. I am convinced one of us will leave a bedroom door open or she will sneak out the front.

She is way too interested in the front door for my taste. Is there anything I can do about that?

Update: I decided to let her out. She is acting crazy. I will just try and keep my eyes on the door.

At some point I will have to let her out when we aren't home. I am not sure what to do about the rabbit. She doesn't pay him much attention. His cage is in the dining area, where she doesn't go. His cage has a hides hole if she started trying to paw at him. I was thinking of moving his cage to the kitchen or my daughter's room.

Roland the rabbit isn't really scared of other animals. He has only been out twice since the cat got here.both times he went right up to her crate and scared the crud out of the cat. My concern is her cornering him in his cage.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not alot you can do to avoid her interest in the front door, outside is her natural home as she remembers still, but in time it does fade.

She would most definitely bolt if the opportunity arises at this point.

Of course she will be free in your home. The cage is temp to be used as a social/trust thing. In time, more and more she can be out of the cage.

Actually as soon as you are happy with her as far as her interacting with you, it's fine to turn her loose. Just know that at that time, if she is not okay with being handled still, it won't ever get any better than that.

She will however come around as a normal cat does, but in time, and more and more.

Just using the cage for gaining trust and handleability later on.

The rabbit, highly doubtful of any problem with that.

If you hold her, occasionally take her and show her the rabbit, they will very likely become friends later. Animals relate to other animals well, except for the predatory type!

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is pretty good about being handled now. Still won't come to us without food when she is out, though she will play and even follows my daughter around, if not actually following her, she is usually watching her. If Amelia tries to touch her though she runs and hides.

If I sit down on the floor with a jar of baby food she comes out no matter what. Once I start petting she will stay for pets without food.

If I am taking her out of her crate she comes right up for pets first, she doesn't try to run out or get around you. She will stay on the couch for a minute, but then she has better things to do. Mostly batting whatever she can find around the foyer and tucking herself into shoes.

I know she will have to be free soon. I am just not sure how soon.

Thanks to everyone for the help. My husband is surprised how different she is. He even admitted if we just let her alone she probably would still be hiding.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Progression has gone well. Sounds like she can be let out anytime now.

Great!!  If she regresses at all, go back to the cage for a short period, but she shouldn't.

Just be sure she knows it's not going to fly!

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We built her a cat tree today, which she loves. She is also fine with us approaching her and petting her there, which is much better than tempting her with food. We will still give her treats of course.

She is pretty bossy. If you stop petting before she is ready she will yell at you.

She is hiding again. We had to move the cat tree from its original location. I hope she adjusts to the new one soon, since it is fun to watch. Her play.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She will, they get spooked with anything changing.

Cat trees are great for height, cats get alot more security when they can look at or down to something rather than up at.

Last edited:

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I coaxed her out then fed her some baby food on the cat tree. She is happy again.

Sorry the house is still in being remodeled. The dining room (behind the tree) is out of service. Glinda has just recently started venturing into that area.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow great job on the cat tree!!

She needs carpeting on any surface where she will need to climb like the top level there.

Awesome job, and she looks pretty darn happy and content too!!

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. We were trying to decide if a bed was enough for the top level or if we should add carpet. We probably need to add a stairway/ramp. But you are right. If I put carpet there she can just pull up. I will try that.

Nice thing about being in the middle of home renovations. The only thing we had to buy was the sisal.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
That is one amazing cat tree!  It is so great that you posted the story of your Glinda here, because by reading it, you can really see the progress that she, and your whole family made.  So thanks for giving her such a warm home.

That cute little thing being bossy?  ha ha....I would not believe it.  She wants more petting with her humans....that is adorable. 

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We added carpet to the top level. And a couple other places.

She has taken to coming up on the couch and chilling with me. On her own.

There are still a lot of times she is completely spooked, but they are getting fewer and far between.

This is her tonight. She came to me for petting, no food and stayed here.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh, you and her have sure come a very long way! Excellent to see, she looks so content :)

You kinda understand now why it was so important to get a trust bond by keeping her caged awhile yes?

Last edited:

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely catwoman707. Last week I noticed a huge difference in her personality after she had been crated for a bit. She wasn't as likely to hide.

I think if I hadn't crated her she would live under the ottoman still. The door rarely gets closed on the crate. I have been keeping her in there still a bit. I figure she will have to stay there a lot this weekend when I bring her home from her spay.

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wanted to update.

She has grown into an affectionate but cautious cat.

She is a ham. She loves to climb jump and run.

She is a lot of fun.

She was spayed Thursday, recovering well.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your updates always put a smile on my face.

You've done so well, she will be a great companion for your family always.

She likely will have that shy/standoffish way about her around strangers, but who cares right?! Glad to hear as always!!