Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feral

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Lilmangocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, theres a little cat who always comes to my front door every day, and I give her food. She seems like a stray, but she's very scared of people. She's began to trust me as when I come out to give her food she steps away then comes closer. She stays outside my door for several hours :( she also tries to come in but I already have a cat;_; her tail also had gotten cut/fell off, its a stub and doesn't do what a tail should do.
Because I was worried about her and winter, I built her a shelter. Its made from wood pieces which we never used and we put it near our door. But I am missing some sort of bedding, I do plan on getting newspaper to shred tomorrow for her.
Bottom line is, any clue on how to get her to use it? I put the food in, and she finishes it inside then leaves and waits outside the door again. Yesterday she did sit on the shelter, but its a safe shelter so I want her to stay inside so shes not hurt by foxes or dogs.
The opening is small and she fits in with ease. Any advice would be appreciated, it took 3 hours and it would be a shame if she never used it without the help of food.
My dad said if she does properly use it, he would get straw and a cat flap for the little entrance to help

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds like a timid stray who wants to live in your house. She sounds like she has the potential to be a very friendly, sweet and loving house cat. Can you have 2 inside cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lilmangocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She sounds like a timid stray who wants to live in your house. She sounds like she has the potential to be a very friendly, sweet and loving house cat. Can you have 2 inside cats?
Unfortunately no, we cant afford to have 2 cats. If I could, I would as I'm in love with her :( thats why I at least wanted to make her a shelter and hope that she uses it

jpatootie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, theres a little cat who always comes to my front door every day, and I give her food. She seems like a stray, but she's very scared of people. She's began to trust me as when I come out to give her food she steps away then comes closer. She stays outside my door for several hours :( she also tries to come in but I already have a cat;_; her tail also had gotten cut/fell off, its a stub and doesn't do what a tail should do.
Because I was worried about her and winter, I built her a shelter. Its made from wood pieces which we never used and we put it near our door. But I am missing some sort of bedding, I do plan on getting newspaper to shred tomorrow for her.
Bottom line is, any clue on how to get her to use it? I put the food in, and she finishes it inside then leaves and waits outside the door again. Yesterday she did sit on the shelter, but its a safe shelter so I want her to stay inside so shes not hurt by foxes or dogs.
The opening is small and she fits in with ease. Any advice would be appreciated, it took 3 hours and it would be a shame if she never used it without the help of food.
My dad said if she does properly use it, he would get straw and a cat flap for the little entrance to help
In my experience, a very timid cat, especially a feral, tends to not use a shelter that has but one opening, as they consider it a trap. If a dog, fox, or even raccoon wanted to attack, she'd have no escape. If possible, maybe dad would put another door—escape hatch—in your shelter, which might help her feel safe. Straw is the best bedding in outdoor shelters, as it doesn't absorb and hold moisture. Good luck with the sweet kitty.

Lilmangocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my experience, a very timid cat, especially a feral, tends to not use a shelter that has but one opening, as they consider it a trap. If a dog, fox, or even raccoon wanted to attack, she'd have no escape. If possible, maybe dad would put another door—escape hatch—in your shelter, which might help her feel safe. Straw is the best bedding in outdoor shelters, as it doesn't absorb and hold moisture. Good luck with the sweet kitty.
Thanks for the advice! Ill add another small hole if she doesn't use it in the next few weeks or month, I'm busy and managed to build it as I some spare time left.
I was thinking of straw, but I'll only be allowed to use it when she actually uses the shelter, which is why I have to resort to shredded newspaper :(
She does go in the shelter, and stays in for a bit but doesn't go in for too long. Ah mann

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she comes up to you or your family, I would say she's a stray. I had to pet my feral boy with a long handled duster before he would come up to me, and he's still terrified of all strangers. I agree about putting two entrances, my cats wouldn't even go in a little cardboard box house I made them until I put an opening on both ends.

Lilmangocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she comes up to you or your family, I would say she's a stray. I had to pet my feral boy with a long handled duster before he would come up to me, and he's still terrified of all strangers. I agree about putting two entrances, my cats wouldn't even go in a little cardboard box house I made them until I put an opening on both ends.
She only seems to really come up to me and sniff my hand, I cant pet her yet v.v she doesnt run away from my family though

I am worried about one thing with an exit, there are other cats in my area, 2 of which are females that chase her away. Thats why she sits by my door as they dont come to my front. I also built her that shelter so she can hide as she hid in the same area when I put my old mattess at the back. So im worried that if I put another hole, the other cats would use that to get in- as the entrance is located where my door is.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you sure this is a female cat? If so, she needs to be spayed or she'll wind up pregnant before long.

Do you have a low cost spay clinic in your area?

Lilmangocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you sure this is a female cat? If so, she needs to be spayed or she'll wind up pregnant before long.

Do you have a low cost spay clinic in your area?
Im pretty sure she's female, as I have a male cat. But she seems quite young and hasn't had kittens since I've discovered her. I did look at TNR and am thinking on ways to get her neutered.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What's your city and state? I'll look for a low-cost spay clinic for you. The sooner the better before she gets pregnant. :)

Lilmangocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What's your city and state? I'll look for a low-cost spay clinic for you. The sooner the better before she gets pregnant. :)
I'm not actually from America, I'm from the UK, England, Leicester xD

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What resources or clinics do you have where you live for spaying this sweet little kitty soon?