Help With Cat-proofing My Space

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1 yr old Oriental Shorthair named Grembly has developed a new behavior that’s driving me nuts. She figured out how to open the closet doors in my apartment & then wreaks havoc once inside. All 5 of the closets have the same doors (see pic - sorry it’s sideways) & there is a closet in every room in the apartment. The doors don’t latch to anything; they’re on a sliding track, so I can’t lock them. Grem goes from the bottom of the doors & pulls them open with her paw. Any ideas as to what I can do to secure the doors? I’ve already stored everything in the closets I can in totes/boxes, but Grembly will pull my clothes/coats off hangers & pick at the boxes.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well the amazon link i posted isnt showing up? anyways if you search amazon for mommy's helper slide-lok bi-fold door lock, you should find it

edit:my ad blocker was blocking it for some reason

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. My folding doors might just open with that Slide-Lok at the top, if Feeby were to push hard enough to 'squeeze' in between the doors at the bottom. Then, she might be stuck in there! I wonder if it could be installed at the bottom to make it more 'secure'??

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hm it's not very secure because it meant to be slide around so it might fall off at the bottom easily though

Here another product that might work for that, you just tighten it to secure it so it might work.better and not fall off easily
Here a video

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In a pinch once I tied the handles together with a long piece of ribbon. It is not convenient to tie and untie, but it worked in the short term. It would depend on exactly how your doors are installed.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try a simple hook and eye at the top of the door and it’s frame. This should prevent the door from moving sideways and opening. You might also have to put a second one about half way down or even a set in the center where it folds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hm it's not very secure because it meant to be slide around so it might fall off at the bottom easily though

Here another product that might work for that, you just tighten it to secure it so it might work.better and not fall off easily
Here a video
Thank you so much for the recommendation! I think this might do the trick. Just ordered one on amazon

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could try a simple hook and eye at the top of the door and it’s frame. This should prevent the door from moving sideways and opening. You might also have to put a second one about half way down or even a set in the center where it folds.
Unfortunately, the doors are metal, so I don't think this would work. ☹

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In a pinch once I tied the handles together with a long piece of ribbon. It is not convenient to tie and untie, but it worked in the short term. It would depend on exactly how your doors are installed.
When I first discovered this was happening, I tried using large rubber bands, string, & even an old scrunchie to hold the door knobs together. Worked in the very short term but eventually Grembly & Ember would have a real blast breaking the ties. I got scared they’d ingest them after ripping them down so I decided against using them.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Such smarties you got there. It is amusing but also frustrating at the same time. Don't we love them all? :)

Let us know if what you ordered thru amazon works.

Reminds me of my 5 month old kitten Graham. I have a sliding window that can be unlocked by pressing hard a square button in the middle. One time I opened it just an inch as she sat by the TV and watching me. After a week I was at the same window and she came beside me, looked at me then tapped with her cute paw the square button lock and meowed. Then looked at me again, tapped the button and meowed. She did that for several more times. It is as if she was telling me "This is how to open the window, Mom. Did you forget?"

Of course she cannot open that lock by herself because it has to be pressed hard. But who knows?

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Such smarties you got there. It is amusing but also frustrating at the same time. Don't we love them all? :)

Let us know if what you ordered thru amazon works.

Reminds me of my 5 month old kitten Graham. I have a sliding window that can be unlocked by pressing hard a square button in the middle. One time I opened it just an inch as she sat by the TV and watching me. After a week I was at the same window and she came beside me, looked at me then tapped with her cute paw the square button lock and meowed. Then looked at me again, tapped the button and meowed. She did that for several more times. It is as if she was telling me "This is how to open the window, Mom. Did you forget?"

Of course she cannot open that lock by herself because it has to be pressed hard. But who knows?
Aww! She learned by example! My blue ray player has a touch free sensor & if u wave your hand over it, the DVD tray will open. It did not take long for Grembly to figure this out! She’d walk over to the blue ray player, put her paw on it to open the tray & then look back at me. She loves movies as much as her human.

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Here a video
I bought one to try out & it worked great! Ended up buying one for every door! Thank you so much for the recommendation!