Help With Cat Please!

Meagan10t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a cat that is about 6 years old. I’ve had her since she was a baby, and yes, she was separated from her liter about 2-3 weeks before she should have been. However, she has been the most sweetest and loving cat ever since! She loves to be pet and will crawl onto your lap and basically force you to pet her. She immediately bonded with my gentle St. Bernard/Border Collie mix dog. They would cuddle and actually groom each other. Last year, my dog was diagnosed with lymphoma and passed away a month later. It was very rough on all of us.

Now, there was one night where I was out with my sister, right around the time my dog was diagnosed with lymphoma, and my ex-boyfriend came to my house to get some of his belongings. I am not sure what happened while he was here, but when my sister and I got home, my cat went absolutely stark craving mad and went into full attack mode. I’m talking curse of the feral cat, run for your life. I’ve never seen her be even slightly aggressive, so this was extremely bizarre! I thought maybe something happened when my ex came by the house, but he swears nothing did (not so sure I believe him).

So now, my cat is back to sweet and loving and cuddly, and has even bonded with my new pup. But now every time my sister comes over (and some other family members as well, maybe it’s a smell thing?), she goes absolutely crazy again. She seriously full on attacks anyone at this point. I’m guessing she is relating my sister to either the events of that night, or even perhaps my dog passing away (she seemed very confused when my dog wasn’t here anymore). I’ve taken her to the vet multiple times and have ruled out any physical ailments. But at this point, I don’t know how to correct the situation or what to do other than locking her away anytime family comes over, but then she still goes crazy and will be in attack mode for about a day or two, and then she’s back to her normal sweet loving self. So anyone around for those few days will suffer severe consequences of scratched up feet, legs, hands and basically anything that she can get to. Not to mention, she will also occasionally go after my roommate. Only occasionally! Who was never around during all the stuff previously. She will randomly pop out from under my china cabinet, attack, and then go back under. It’s so strange and very frustrating.

The vet recommended sedation drugs, but I really don’t want to drug her. Does anyone have any pointers for me to help with the situation? I appreciate any feedback!

Winniethebullet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This seems like a very difficult situation. I'm absolutely no vet so none of my information might help but it seems as if it could be the smell. I suggest trying to shut her in a room when your sister arrives and then leave her in there for maybe 5 minutes then let her out. At this point I would start trying anything that you think that could help. The sedation drugs might be a good option but I wouldn't want to drug Winnie either. I hope that you figure something out! :heartshape:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you get down to the wire, you might try giving her chamomile tea before going on to prescription drugs. It can be wonderfully calming with out actually sedating. The correct dosage is 1-3 teaspoonfuls up to 3 times a day. Brew the tea, chill it in the fridge, and administer via syringe, just like any liquid medication. Be sure you use the commercially prepared teabags, though. Those are all German chamomile, which is medicinal and safe for cats in proper dosages. The English variety, which is what often grows in gardens, is not medicinal, and is toxic to cats. You can purchase the bags at your grocery store in the coffee/tea aisle.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm.. I’m no expert but there are two things I would try in your place.
First I would ask my sister (and whoever else she goes after for a piece of unwashed smelly clothing. I would then put that somewhere she would smell it and connect it to good things (maybe by her food bowl or bring it out when giving her treats.). If it is a smell thing, maybe it would help.
The second thing I would try is having her in a cat carrier when your sister comes over and having her give her treats through the carrier openings. Again, trying to connect her to good things.
I sure hope it gets better.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - a little late here.
These suggestions aren't drugs - the ingredients are based on pheromones et al;
Can you obtain some calming products? feliway diffusers, that sort of thing? These are available in pet stores and online. Besides diffusers and collars, there are sprays, wipes and treats, depending on how broadly and intensely (?) you'd want to extend the benefit of calming products.

Some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway, but there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.

Vetri-Science's Composure is one to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has one, Pet Naturals also has one I believe. Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros.

There are a couple of current discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?