Help with Adding A Kitten

KittenOrNoKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I currently have a 6.5 year old female whom I rescued at around 9 weeks. She is fixed and indoor only. I have been wanting a new kitten, but I’m worried she won’t accept one. She growls if she sees the neighbors cat walk by our house. She has free reign of our house and travels at night sleeping with the kids.

I have an opportunity to get a kitten who is not fixed (I would get him neutered). He is a male.
My question is, has it been too long for my cat to introduce a new kitten? I was told by one lady at the SPCA that it was a bad idea, but hadn’t heard it up to this point.
Thank you for your help!!!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You will most certainly need to do a slow introduction of the two, so you will need a separate space to keep the kitten while that is going on. My experience is that most cats do adjust eventually to a kitten but some take longer than others or they seem to get along until the kitten reaches adulthood and then the relationship gets rocky

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is the new kitten? If he is young enough, you almost certainly won't have really serious issues. There's an instinct that keeps adult cats from attacking young kittens with real intent to harm. Now, they may hiss and swat in the process of teaching the little upstart his manners, and just who is who and what is what.