Help With A Pica Cat

mrsnides5

Human to White Fluffy Balls Binka and Zeppelin
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

For a while now, I've notice that my one year old male indoor cat Zeppelin, whom a vet checked over, has been chewing on electrical cords and destroying boxes (never eating, just severe chewing destruction). I think he is doing it out of boredom as he's a very smart, active cat. I have started leash/harness training him so I can take him on outdoor adventures with me, which he seems to like sometimes. I thought about getting him puzzle boxes and different toys than the thousands of fake mice that he loves.

As anyone ever had a cat like this and know any good things to help? Do the puzzle boxes actually work? I just want to make sure he doesn't hurt himself on the wires or ingested cardboard.

Any advise or toy recommendations are much appreciated.
Maddy

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a pretty high % of cats chew on electrical cords now and then. I dunno what the particular appeal is. I've always just said "No!" really loudly and made sure the cat moves off, but I believe some people with a more devoted chewer have used other solutions from double sided tape to something or other that tastes bad. (Addressing the boredom can't hurt, but to be honest I'd be shocked if it solved the problem by its lonesome.) As far as the cardboard, the easiest solution would be to limit access. I know it will be hard, cardboard is everywhere these days, but just being realistic...don't know you'll totally shut it down any other way.

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mean as long as he’s not eating things then it’s pretry normal behavior. My friend’s cat has chewed through 60 dollars worth of charging cables. And my cat loves to destroy cardboard boxes, but seemingly only the ones I don’t want her to destroy. If I give her one that she can destroy she doesn’t even chew it a little.

For the cords I think the best bet is some sort of spray that tastes bad. There’s bitter apple spray, phooey, and many other types. Just make sure to apply it once and a while so it doesn’t rub off or something.

Cardboard boxes you could try giving her cardboard that’s acceptable to chew, but as I said, some cats just have an affinity for things they’re not supposed to chew Other than that, I agree that you could just limit access or maybe even spray those with the bad tasting stuff as well as the cords.

Also, some cats just like to chew, so give him acceptable things to chew. My cat loves these freeze dried cod skins. They’re her favorite thing. And they seem to satisfy some of her need to chew.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitty, Little Bit, would chew any cord that was lying about on the bed. Several sets of the expensive earbuds and charge cords. The electrical cords are definitely a concern, as a cat can suffer severe burns if he bites through a live one. And I mean severe, as in requiring amputations. So a nasty-tasting spray, such as bitter apple, is a must.

I have no suggestions as to the cardboard, other than hiding it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsnides5

Human to White Fluffy Balls Binka and Zeppelin
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing stories and the suggestions. It's comforting to hear that it's a somewhat common thing. I am going to buy the spray and maybe he will learn that all cords are off limits. I figure that "safe" boxes that have no dyes or coloring with some catnip spray might get him to associate only certain boxes with play/chew toys. I have never heard of cod skin as a chewy toy for cats, but I will definitely look into that.

I know that he is too smart for his own good and is very curious. Does anyone have any tips to help with his boredom that might help with the chewing? I want to buy his some more interesting toys and such, but not sure if that would help any.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It really depends on your cat what toys he will like. My cat LOVES these plastic springs that come in like a pack of 10. She fetches them and such.

I also have this food maze that I put treats in from time to time. It’s called cat amazing. I do that if I’m ever working or trying to sleep and she wants me to pay attention to her NOW. You could also put kibble in there if you feed dry food. But Mia doesn’t eat any kibble so I have to just use it for treats. But you could technically probably feed him his whole meal with a puzzle feeder. I much prefer the puzzle feeders to the balls with holes that they roll around, because too often food from those balls will pop out and end up in a place your cat can’t get it.

She also loves peacock feathers, they’re her favorite “wand” type toy.

Playtime *might* help a little. I know that if my cat is misbehaving it’s because I didn’t play with her enough that day. And I remedy it by playing with her she has me well trained.