Help Wild Mum Caught Has Newborns

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there

I caught a semi wild mother cat. She has two newborns, they are about a week old tomorrow.
It was a mission to catch mum.
Once I got them home (mum gave them a feed in trap on drive home) I set everything up and went to let her out into a crate. She went mental, spilt water everywhere and got out in the room and smacked windows several times, panting in stress etc.

She's now calmed down a bit but I don't think she's fed babies all night. They are in crate with door held open, crate covered in a sheet. Everything's untouched food water litter trays ... When I touched kitten it acts hungry once it knows you are there. There are 2 babies, originally there was a 3rd that was half eaten.

Ive just moved babies on to floor under windowsill with a cardboard box next to it as originally she hid them in a cardboard box in someone's shed. Ive closed curtains so room is dark.

I'm going to start syringe feeding after my short shift thismorning which is in 3 1/2 hrs if no more progress and hope she eventually takes over.

I'll also grab some feliway spray, someone also suggested catnip may calm her down too???

Any advice appreciated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To clarify she's up on windowsill still and I think she stayed there all night

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the crate large enough that you could close mom in there with kittens and everything she needs? Maybe she would settle.

Thank you for helping!

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just touched mum with a gloved hand so learnt I can pat her. The neighbours reckon this is the 2nd lot of kittens she's had so think she's been on her own a long time now she had a good source as is right in town, eating out of another cats food bowl for last 6 months.

I Did try to take glove off to scruff her as too hard with glove on and tried to put her in crate but she went frantic and I got scratched. Pleased she doesn't want to hurt me though. I just need the kittens to live. I'm hoping to get her desexed if the person she was getting food off will keep her, otherwise will have to make a difficult decision but the fact I can touch her means I can try bring her back but don't know if I like my chances.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She absolutely must be spayed, and stay inside until she is spayed. What is the hard decision?

It also sounds like she could be a candidate for living inside. You’ll learn more as she warms up to you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im not sure on the catnip thing. If so, just a little... If you overdo, she will go SKY high...

Calming music perhaps? Classic harp music is good, but almost any may work...

Last edited:

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I work for a rescue so her not being spayed is not an option - she most definitely will be. The other alternative is she will be euthanized... I save everything I can, we save timid cats too so the fact that she let me touch her is something.She can't live here...two dogs, kids, a grumpy cat... Too much activity. I hope they will consider adopting her but will have to see.

I got formula and fed kittens thismorning. Not much but mum had moved. I had made a gap between the wall and there's a single bed base with no legs on the floor in my foster room. She was inbetween the wall and mattress so I crept along and put the kittens with her. When I left they were trying to feed but she wasn't letting them. Ive checked since I came home and they are still all down there and mums shifted sides so hopefully all good.

They are completely riddled in fleas but I want to let mum settle a couple of days.

She absolutely must be spayed, and stay inside until she is spayed. What is the hard decision?

It also sounds like she could be a candidate for living inside. You’ll learn more as she warms up to you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It would be best to release her eventually back where she lived before rather than euthanize her.

Can you weigh the kittens? That is the best way to know they are getting enough food. Did they take supplementing well? They may need more.

Mom should begin to relax more over the coming weeks.

Try a plug-in Feliway diffuser. They usually help quite a bit. I would avoid catnip.

Has mom been eating?

Thank you for fostering her!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, definitely apply Advantage II to the back of mom's neck!!!

Fleas can suck the life out of tiny kittens. If mom is treated it will help the kittens until they are big enough for their own doses.

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Il give mum broadline, the fleas are bad. Mum still hasn't eaten or used litter box but I finally approached her since she started feeding kittens.

She let me pat her, she doesn't respond to it though, and I felt around her nipples...they feel empty really but there are only 2 babies and one of the kittens was sucking and started purring so presumably there is milk. I can't have too good a feel, have to tiptoe around her at moment.

I've moved food and water bowls right Infront of her so once she feels safe to I think she will eat tonight. She looks pretty wrecked but she's been under a lot of stress.

The feliway diffuser is plugged in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I really think you should supplement the babies and begin weighing them.

Also, try giving mom Gerber turkey baby food. Filled with protein, most cats love it! She must eat.

Good on the diffuser and the flea treatment.

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update.
Mumma cat is eating now and becoming my Friend. She enjoys being patted.

The kittens have not lost or gained weight. Ive just started supplementing again. They are suckling, they purr, I can see little tongues lapping but I can only squeeze milk out of one nipple at the back.

When I feed them they don't seem to drink enough...at first they guzzle guzzle and then they start to resist after 1 or 2 MLS... Does it mean they should stop or do kittens do this as it's foreign to be being fed this way?

Mumma cleaning them, comes and climbs on me when worried if her kitten is crying when I'm trying to feed it. Made big progress with mum, just worried that kittens are getting enough

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, if they dont gain its worrying. Yes, them being reluctand to be feed is quite common.
A trick may be to wrap them in a little towel as a burrito. Easier to hold them if nothing else.

Another trick is to give them this little they take, but more often.

If you can get raw goat milk it good. Otherwise, there are many brand of useful kmr. or cartooned or powdered goats milk.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very common for the kittens to slow down bottle feeding especially if they are getting air bubbles from the artificial nipples. Burping them and then trying again often helps as does a brief "diapering" wipe, in case they got a full bladder. Kitten Lady has some very good videos on kitten rescue.
I am very glad that you rescued the mama kitty! That little mama cat really needed help - it sounds like a raccoon or a strange tomcat was after the little kitty family.

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well everything is going well. I stopped helping with feeds after I was able to squeeze milk out of a nipple I'd seen a kitten on which I hadn't been able to other times and the kittens are thriving.

Worst issue is mum doesn't use litter boxes, she will use sheets etc...at moment she has 4 litter boxes with dirt in and others with litter. She poos on the ground but I have carpet samples down and they arent very messy. I'm more worried the kittens won't learn as she won't teach them.

My other concern is after kittens are weaned I'm having her desexed, chipped and vaccinated and need to release in the hopes she will stay on my property. When I do will I let her out the front door or do I need to set a crate up so she gets used to outside before being released?

I will start letting her explore the house on the weeks my kids are at their dads once kittens are mobile as they might help bring her out of her shell.

She loves me even though she spends so much time growling, growls and leans in for pats, Im pretty sure she was going to go at my 6 yr old today trying to protect her kittens when he quietly sat down in room with me. I can touch her all over but she's not a house cat, she only leaves her cardboard box when I'm out of the room and I think briefly only to quickly toilet or eat . I also need to introduce her to my cat who spends a lot of/most of her time in the garden as she's a grouch so if they can't coexist that would ruin everything.

I just want her to live outside permanently.. she will always be welcome inside but I am guessing she will choose not to.

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just ideas for this relocation welcome. I'm hoping due to the kittens that being shut in for what will be 2 months will help with her staying in the area.
IMG_20180131_101632.jpg

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Attractive cat, and cute kittens. If you can find it at a pet store, there is a litter called "Cat Attract", it is meant for cats with litter box problems. They also make a version called "Kitten Attract". Good luck!

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have no pet stores as are in a small town but can buy online... Infact be very helpful for our occasionally difficult shelter cats too. Is it available in new zealand?

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I plan to keep the whiter kitten so that might make mum hang around too. The Torti kitten will go up for adoption though.