Help! Vet wants to sedate my OA cat for nail trimming

Chris Ekstedt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This would have to happen every 3 weeks @$145 for the anesthesia and $25 for the trimp on top of a Solensia shot at $110. I can't afford that. Wouldn't gabapentin be enough?
I can't even afford my own dental work! She did seem in pain the last time and cried out but good grief, sedating her @$145 and the nail trim @$25 on top of that and then a Solensia shot every month for $110? What to do? Is this vet nuts? This practice was bought by a corporation and the costs have gone through the roof and I don't want to lose my cat of 7 years but this seems unreasonable? Input welcome!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We would really need more information....

I would state that many members find Solensia a big quality of life improvement for an older cat. But what's the reason for a 7 year old to have it? Does she have arthritis?

Is there someone in your community who could volunteer to help you with nail trimming monthly?

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of putting a cat under general anesthesia for a nail trims or injections.I have a cat that always needs gabapentin for vet visits.They do bloodwork , blood pressure, physical exams and injections with no problems. She still may be a little bit fussy but she is entirely manageable. Interested in what other members think of this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, more information could help us to better understand what might be behind why the vet would suggest such a drastic approach for nail trimming.

Solensia is one option to help with arthritic pain. Joint supplements, if she is not already on one, can help with reducing future joint damage too. But the anesthesia for nail trimming is a bit over the top, given there are other less extreme options, such as gabapentin that was mentioned above. It is often used to help calm a cat for a vet visit. Unless your cat's nails grow like crazy, nail trimming could likely be stretched out to 4 or 5 weeks, maybe even longer.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Claw clipping should not cause a cat pain, any more than nail trimming should cause a human pain. Sounds to me like the vet cut into the quick – no wonder they think they need general anesthesia to do it again!

Are there any other vets you can take her to? I don't think I'd trust this vet to so much as pet my cat!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we took our cat, Elliot, to the vet to be neutered, they trimmed his claws and didn't charge for it. Then, again, he got neutered, vaccinated with all his shots, de-flea-ed, de-wormed and they took care of a wound on his head that had become infected.

Vets have assistant vet techs who need experience taking care of animals. Why not let the vet tech trim the cat's claws while he's there for all the other stuff? Makes sense. Right? That's exactly what we did with Elliot.

Point is, the vet doesn't have to charge you a measly $25.00 for a nail trimming when they are already charging you up the ass for all that other stuff! Besides, sedating a cat just to trim its nails is kind of stupid. Why go through all that? Do they have an anesthesiologist who needs some experience?

Come on! If a trained vet can't trim a cat's claws without sedation, I wouldn't have much faith in them for more complicated things!

My advice: Find a new vet and tell your old vet why you are leaving.

We took our eldest cat, Casper, to the vet where my family had been taking our pets ever since I was born. The original vet retired and gave the practice to his son but, when the son retired, the practice was sold off to a corporation like your vet. When we took Casper there, they overcharged us for stuff and tried to pile on like the way your vet does. They weren't very personable and didn't explain things, either. When we asked questions, they got huffy. So, we took Casper home and found another vet who is a million times better!

The original vet called us up, trying to schedule Casper's next appointment for a checkup and I told them that we had found a new vet for Casper and I told them why. I haven't heard from them, since.

I suppose they can still be the backup vet... ;)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a matter of fact, while at the vet's office for checkups and distemper shots yesterday, we had them trim their claws as well. Mind you, these cats started life as ferals, but they required no gabapentin or any other sedation. The vet techs took them to the room they have for such things, and the cats behaved just fine- aside from a few unplanned stool samples in their carriers, that is.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As a matter of fact, while at the vet's office for checkups and distemper shots yesterday, we had them trim their claws as well. Mind you, these cats started life as ferals, but they required no gabapentin or any other sedation. The vet techs took them to the room they have for such things, and the cats behaved just fine- aside from a few unplanned stool samples in their carriers, that is.
I've done nail trims on cats, and usually I take the top off the carrier and let them stay in it. I think they feel safer. Is this how your vet did it?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Nail trims should NOT cause pain. Who ever did them at the vet cut past the quick and should be called on the carpet about it. Gypsy was the neighborhood stray when she adopted us back in 2016, we have never had the vet do her nails. I massage her from her nose to her toes to her tail, get her in a melted butter state and using human baby nail clippers take the tips off always doing them sideways so they don't splinter. The baby clippers have large soft finger grips, are very sharp, have an attached magnifier and are lightweight. I don't try to clip them all at one sitting unless she is deeply asleep but will take several sessions if needed always keeping it as stress free as possible Sometimes I use this comb very softly to stroke/massage her body to melted butter state.
20240516_225847.jpg
20240516_225808.jpg

If she needs them all done at once (tripping her on the carpet or the dew claws are too dangerous) I have her dad hold her. Are you able to brush and calmly stroke the kitty? Handle their feet? Is there someone who can help? Maybe ask someone in one of your local fb kitty forums to help or at least recommend a better vet. If someone here on site is close to you that may be an option too. Good luck, keep us updated. Gypsy got her 3yr fvrcp shot the other day, I mentioned it seemed that she was scratching her ears often, they checked said they were just a bit dirty and did I want them to clean them? Foolishly I said yes... they charged $25! :doh::gaah:

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't mean to sound alarming, but I would contact the vet's office and ask why they want to do this under anesthesia. It is possible they are looking out for your cats best interest. My cat (of unknown age) had a heart attack and died while getting her hair trimmed at the vet.

However, there is no shame in not being able to afford something. I would let them know and ask if she could be given mild, less expensive sedation. And as most others have suggested, you can also call some different vets to price nail trimming.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't mean to sound alarming, but I would contact the vet's office and ask why they want to do this under anesthesia. It is possible they are looking out for your cats best interest. My cat (of unknown age) had a heart attack and died while getting her hair trimmed at the vet.

However, there is no shame in not being able to afford something. I would let them know and ask if she could be given mild, less expensive sedation. And as most others have suggested, you can also call some different vets to price nail trimming.
nurseangel nurseangel Your experience with your cat is exactly why mine gets gabapentin for vet visits. Her heart would being pounding, rapid breathing, and fighting to free herself. They were very concerned she would have a heart attack. You might have to see it to believe it, but she was really not in a good place.I think it is understanding your cat and doing what is best for them.Having good communication and relationship with your vet is so important.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Churru and similar liquid treats are highly motivating for my cats. I was getting worried my tortie would have to be taken to the vet as she didn't want me trimming nails and would even leave where she was relaxed when she heard me ready the clippers. Her dislike was growing over time.

It's been a slow process, but I was able to get a few nails at different times and she's tolerating it now. Some first steps were feeding the churro while grabbing feet and exposing nails; clipping clippers to simulate clipping noise.

I've been thinking of bringing the treats to the vet with me, although my cats have denied treats in the past when stressed so unsure if they'd eat them there.

I've also had some vets tell me they'd need to sedate my cat for certain things, but another vet was able to do it without.